Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been posting for sometime about ferals and a sick kitty in this forum..so this is a sort of update;
the sick kitty shows up once in while, he looks better though he's still thin and has sores. A neighbor is feeding him also.
As for the ferals, I intend to trap at least one next week and alter him/her. I finally have a trap but I never counted on being so scared :(
I'm worried I'll do something wrong and hurt the cat, that if somehow the cat dies prior to surgery (the night I should keep him) I'll freak out and never get close to the ferals again. There's at least 1 pregnant female, I've this nightmare she'll give birth overnight and bleed to death..it has been dissapointing I found no support in my neighborhood..abt the sick cat, some think "was in a fight/ has cancer/just an ol'tom", infectious, nah! toms get like that..
My husband is the only supportive person, he looks up to me & I know only what I had learned lately.
So, I'll try to explain that to the vet. There are 3 vets here and are very busy. But maybe I can get through somehow. Sorry for my rambling on, didn't mean to but I feel a bit strung out.
I appreciate each of your words very much, at the moment is all I have.
Has somebody gone through something like this in a similar situation?
Thank-you very, very much!

·
Registered
6 Posts
i THINK YOU ARE DOING A GOOD DEED TO HELP THE CATS Contact your local SPCA for help. They have a feral cat program that will trap and fix them. They will then return them to their environment.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hello, Rosalie
I am sorry you go under so much stress and nobody in the neighbourhood offered to help.
I started catching the ferals on our property 2 months ago and this Sunday was the second time. I must admit that the first time I was almost as scared as you.
The kitties won't get hurt in the cages. I didn;t trap females that were too late in the pregnantship as well for fear they might give birth in the cage and they are too wild for me to handle. One I had trapped however was pregnant - mid term they said- and they aborted her babies. I felt sad but that is what they do - spay and neuter everything they get their hands on.
About the trapping - remember the suggestions I gave you before? Look them up and re read if you feel you need more information feel free to ask me. The kitties won't get hurt in the cages. It is very important to keep them covered so they won't bump their heads against the grill trying to escape. Also they must not have anything to eat over night! It is crucial you remember that!
I could copy-paste all the information I have got from Catnip(the Operation I signed up for and helped me do this -Trap Neuter Return) and send it to you in a private message if you would like. Also after the surgery keep them covered but make sure that they can breathe. I had two fans in the garage for them since it was hot. One of the females (- Tippy was always too skinny) didn't do very well and had to stay in the laundry room where it was hotter. Just make sure your vet will tell everything you need to know on how to care for them after the surgery. What is normal behaviour and what isn't.
You won't be able to release them right away, of course so as I have said cover the cages at least partially and when they are allowed to eat (either after more then 8 hours or the second day) put food under the cage just as you did when you trapped them. I have also opened the cages and put a tiny bowl with water. But I wouldn't recommend it unless you are sure of what you are doing. The cats tried to attack me (without getting injured since I only opened the gate a tiny bit) and made a lot of noises that let me know they didn't like my presence so close to them

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank-you very much catcatcher and Ioanna. I greatly appreciate your support. Ionna, I think I've Catnip's info; I'll let you know, thank-you very much.
I'm less nervous today because I got to talk with one of the vets; she told me to take the cat right away to them_if I prefer (and I do, being the first one)_ that they'd keep him and perform surgery and watch him overnight; I'd pick it up the next day.
I made sure she understood these were ferals because it sounded so much like the procedure for housecats.
I told her about the males and females, she said they'd do the males first. Males in this colony are the hardest to catch. We'd have to set the trap at early dawn I think and just wait for them, they might still no show up but it's worth a try.
I'm thinking of starting this next week, ASAP.
That's where things are at now..you guys are great, thank-you from the bottom of my heart.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I'm not sure what you guys have already discussed, nor do I have any experience in this area, but I have come across a website that seems to be very informational.

If it's already been posted here, I apologize for the dupicate:

http://www.alleycat.org/

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
You are more than welcome, Rosalie - my heart is with you because I know what you are going through. I am happy your kitties will get a vet's attetnion even post surgery - you are so wonderful to care for them!
Best of luck and please let us know how the trapping goes.
AddFran - posting that site it is never one to many. Thank Goodness for such places where one can find information and support!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts