Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MowMow has been fussing about his food the past few weeks. His system seems to have adjusted to the California Natural so I have been alternating cans of Evo Beef and the CN Venison and brown rice. The past 2 cans of EVO he hasn't seemed to want to eat.

He's always been a drooler but I noticed it's increased a bit in the past few weeks(I've notice wet spots on the blankets under his mouth when he's sleeping next to me and not JUST when I'm petting him) so I though maybe it was his teeth. I checked his mouth and they seem ok. A little redness at the gum line but nothing horrible, he doesn't flinch or seem in pain when I poke at them and his last vet visit about 5 months ago(?) the vet said his teeth are fine, I specifically asked and he looked in his mouth.

A few days ago I mixed in a bit of the CN Venison with his EVO and he ate it. Last night I put some Parmesan in the EVO and he ate it. He eats crunchy treats just fine....but when there's just plain EVO in his bowl he cries and cries and cries for food.

Sooooo is this what it's like to have a finicky cat or do you think he's got something wrong with him?

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
From what I understand about drooling, as cats age they often drool more. Blaze is like a fountain. As long as the drool isn't thick, like hanging down like a slobbering dogs, then the drooling probably isn't anything to worry about. Considering you were just at the vet I think MowMow is fine, maybe the heat is getting to him so he isn't a hungry, or maybe he's sick of his food (very annoying...) of course, he could have problems below the gum line that may need x-rays to discover but considering he's young, I doubt he has any issues like that.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
My cats don't care much for EVO canned unless I spike it with something more tasty. Even The GoBoys, who I raised on EVO canned and raw will sometimes walk away from their EVO meal without finishing it. Open a can of cheapo Friskies, though, and they'll dive in and try to eat their ways through the bottom of the bowl. Like kids in a candy store, my kids will always opt for the tastier stuff, given the option.

Laurie

·
Registered
158 Posts
Boots is the pickiest cat I've ever met. x.x

She'll eat (canned):
Natural Balance LID Venison (her favorite)
Duck and green pea LID
Salmon and green pea LID
Solid Gold tuna can thingy that's like freakin' $2 for 5oz
Innova Senior (go figure- like candy to her)
Wellness Chicken

And that, dear Mow Mow's slave, is it for canned. I cannot give her the same flavor 2-3 days next to each other. If she gets bored with one of those flavors I take a sticky note, write the date, and in two weeks try again (Which she usually eats it again). I have a food chart that I write out to make sure I'm not feeding her the same flavors too close together. I used to just eye ball it, but that lead to her snubbing flavors and wasting food. I also have to mix 1/4 cup warm water with 1/2 the 5.5oz can (two meals of this a day) so it's soupy, otherwise she won't touch it.

Food she'll eat (raw)
Boneless Skinless Chicken Tenders
Chicken Hearts
Chicken Livers
Duck wings (skin removed, doesn't eat the bone)
Quail eggs

And that is it. I offer. I beg. I plead. I mix it up. I blend flavors. Nothing.

Welcome to the Picky Eater's Club.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, I when I brought him home from the shelter 4 years ago he was willing to eat anything I stuck in his bowl. He'd even chew on vegetables if gave them to him.

I wonder if the shelter would board him for a weekend to remind him how good he has it... :wink

·
Registered
158 Posts
I know, right? The center I volunteer at (and adopted her from) feeds only Wellness CORE and Wellness wet food!

She was in the center for 2 years. She's almost 11, and HATES EVERYONE. Terrified of men, too. Hissed, growled, swatted, bit, scratched me since day 1. It came a time to transfer her to a different center and I cried. Lol. I was going to miss the little brat. Brought her home, and she was purring, loving on me, and is the sweetest kitty I've ever met. Just extremely picky now!

I suppose being almost 11 (September) and being in a cage for 2 years she feels she's obligated to be picky.

·
Registered
801 Posts
If Mow has redness of the gums, that means there is plaque and it is irritating the gums. I would probably go ahead and just make an appointment for a light dental cleaning and see if that doesn't do the job.

Whats a PITA?

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would probably go ahead and just make an appointment for a light dental cleaning and see if that doesn't do the job.
Gosh, I hope not. I don't think his pet insurance will cover it and I can't afford to have it done right now. It would take me a couple of months to save up enough for that.

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
I don't think there's any such thing as a "light" dental cleaning. They involve bloodwork, anesthesia, and lots of money.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I don't think there's any such thing as a "light" dental cleaning. They involve bloodwork, anesthesia, and lots of money.
Sure there is. Scraping off a teency bit of plaque around the gumline is nothing compared to removing a whole tooth or doing an extensive cleaning for major tooth decay.
Did I say it was going to be cheap? Of course not. I just gave my opinion on what should be done.

Maybe you could take up brushing his teeth instead??

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
But it costs the same and involves the same things. ???

·
Registered
801 Posts
Just as a regular annual cleaning and a cleaning for if you have the first stages of gingivitis aren't the same, I can't imagine these would be the same either.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It would absolutely involve anesthesia for MowMow. He may let me look in his mouth but he turns into a raging ball of red fur if the vet takes liberties.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I hope MowMow does not have gum/teeth problem....
Going back to picky issue. Mine or mines have the same issue as well! There are several items that they USED TO like but not anymore, but will eat it with parmesan cheese or dry food sprinkle on it, that kind of things. Mines do not like any beef flavor anymore including EVO beef which they used to love before..... I was wondering even the company already changed the flavor or formula in it. If MowMow eats it with parmesan cheese on it, I wonder if it is just picky issue especially the weather getting warmer or hotter causing loss of appetite instead of teeth issue. I hope he will like by Nautre beef!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
If Mow is just picky try sprinkling some freeze dried treats on his canned. That is the only way Leelu will eat all of hers, otherwise she just licks the "soup" and leaves the chunks. I can never win she fools me by acting like me opening a can is the greatest thing in the world and she can't wait to dig in, then snubs the bowl.....Drama queen

·
Registered
672 Posts
Has it been hotter then normal at your house?

My Sasha and Bentley have not eaten near what they do in the winter. Its just hot and muggy and they don't eat well during our summers.

He just had his teeth checked 5 months ago. I seriously doubt he has developed gum disease or all that much plaque. Heck my human kids only go to the dentist every 6 months and never have issue with teeth.

Sasha has yet to need dental care and she is 15. The vet looks and her teeth are nice and pearly with no problems.

I know Mow is allergic to just about everything under the planet.. do you think he has developed another allergy? Sometimes animals can develop them after exposure for a long period of time. Of course at this point I am not sure what you could feed him ..err.. AIR? LOL

(hugs) sometimes the picky pet knows if he acts picky enough mama will pull out the good stuff. :wink

As long as he is playing, active, drinking and using the litter box I would say he was fine. Make sure he is drinking plenty however.

Try this ~ it has always worked with ANY pet I have ever known to be under the weather. Roll his canned food into small meatballs and act like they are a very special treat from the cat gods. It works every time for me :wink

1 - 20 of 24 Posts