Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my cat is 4 months old and i got him from the humane society. When I got him, he had a upper resp infection. Treated him with Cefa drops and then it recurred and went through another round of cefa drops and now it's back again. I just paid a 70 dollar vet bill which was a lot higher than I thought it would be! So I am wondering, am I in for a rough ride with this cat? I really can't afford it and I dont' want to have my cat be sick all the time :(

·
Registered
205 Posts
I got my kitty from the spca, and he too had a URI when I brought him home. He was three when I got him about 9 months ago. Since then he has had about 6 colds. Lots of sneezing but appearing to be well other than that. He recently got an eye infection along with his sneezing so he went to the vet and got treated.

Once a kitty has gotten a URI it is possible for them to be carriers and to have the sympotms flare up every so often.

Is your kitty acting sick?? Or just sneezing?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Because my cats symptoms are usually mild he does not get treated. He is always still active and eating though. My vet said that because it is viral there is not really any point giving him meds.

But his eye infection did get trested.

·
Registered
205 Posts
oh no!!!! :(

I think you should give him time and see how he does.

I know the vet can be expensive. Did your vet mention any other treatment options?? If it does keep reoccuring it is possible that it will become a lot more mild. And maybe it won't keep happening after it is gone for good. Maybe he just needs different medicine???

How closely are they happening?? Maybe the treatment didin't work well and the bug never went away???

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i thought that putting him down was extreme and I wouldn't do it!

but i got him with a URI from the shelter. Gave him one round of cefa drops and then it came back so I gave him another round. now, it's back again! it's been a short period of time, probably month and a half.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am VERY glad to hear you wouldn't put kitty to sleep!!!

Since they are so close together I would think that it hasn't been cleared up by the medicine. URI's can be viral or bacterial....

This is from Dr. Jean

That said, most upper respiratory infections are viral, and antibiotics will make no difference. They will go away on their own in 7-10 days. Which is, guess what, about the same time you give antibiotics.

Lots of antioxidants and immune-supportive herbs would be just as effective as antibiotics.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

Good immune-supporting antioxidants (and other nutrients) here:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... atsanddogs

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
I looked up Cefa drops and it said that......Cats: For treatment of skin and soft tissue infections including abscesses, wound infections, cellulites and dermatitis caused by susceptible strains of Pasteurella multocida, Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus epidermidis and Streptococcus spp.

So maybe your kitty needs something different, or if it is a virus time to get better completely.

Maybe Dr. Jean will see this and offers some advice....I am certainly no pro!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts