Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got home from work today (thank goodness I came home early) Mr. MowMow was crying a lot and in and out of the litterbox.

We've been there before. I called the vet and headed back into my room to change. While I was changing MowMow pulled my sleepshirt off the doorknob and squatted on it. He's *NEVER* tried to urinate out of his box, even in the middle of Urinary blockage and UTIs. Now I was *REALLY* worried.

Vet sedated him and pulled some urine and he's got a raging UTI. SHe sent us home with antibiotics, suggested a probiotic to counteract the side effects of the antibiotic.

A decent chunk of change later we're home. I've set up a litter box in my room and we're both in here with the door closed so the kitten can't bother him and so I can monitor his output. Besides, all he wants to do is lay close and sleep. :p I'm usually pretty stingy with the heat but tonight I turned it up to 60 for him in my room and he's LOVING that.
Here's my pitiful unhappy and still mildy drunk angel.

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
Poor guy. My girls send him forehead licks and nuzzles.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Poor baby! Good Good Mama! Sometimes a heating pad helps. I've only had to do this with fosters but I've found 2 or even 3 boxes each with a different type of litter sometimes helps espescially with the ones who've been through it before.

Did I mention what a good job you did jumping on it so fast - sucks to be Mow Mow but he is a lucky boy to have you!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
How horrible for you both. Its so hard to see them in pain. I hope the antibiotics do their job quickly and he's feeling better soon.

·
Registered
431 Posts
aww Mow get better! I know how it feels, Kodak is always so pitiful when he was going through his crystal and UTI issue. It's hard not to smother them with love and snuggles.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for all the well wishes.

This morning we had pee :) He woke me up meowing (without urgency) and when I got up to check he was standing by the box announcing his accomplishment. A nice large clump. He got praises, kisses, and breakfast.

I locked Book up this morning so MOwMOw could get out of the bedroom without being bothered and Mow's running around like usual. Running me OVER to get to the window to chatter at the birds. He's already grabbing at Book's feet under the door so I guess I'll let them out and see how it goes today. If I'm home I can shadow MowMOw and monitor his output even if Book is around.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
That's great, it sounds like MowMow is BACK. You were really good to get him to the vet so quickly, and I was interested to hear that your vet suggested the probiotics to offset the effects of the antibiotic. Mine didn't, and we went through 2 months of pudding poop before someone (thank you, Lisa) had the good sense to suggest a probiotic supplement. I think that should be routine, having the two go hand in hand, but apparently not.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts