Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when everyone realizes they're going away and can't take their animals with them. It's even worse when you actually know the people because you want to take them... but you know you can't.

It does make me wonder what one was thinking, in particular. She owns/ed three cats (I've only met two and they were toy deficient but very affectionate) and now she's moving. But, hey, why bother trying to find a place that accepts cats? Instead, she posts on Facebook that they're free to a good home and PM's me asking if I can take at least one. If I lived in a house I would go for all three but I live in a 601 square foot shack with three fish tanks, two cats, and a rabbit :/ I mean, eventually I'll be getting a third cat (and a second rabbit) but it has to be of a very specific temperament because Sugar needs a companion that can handle her obsessive NEEDiness (in theory. More than likely, I'll end up picking out a chainsaw with four legs).

It frustrates me. People who get the animal and then abandon them when times get tough. I can tell you that if I have to BUY a bloody house in order to live with my animals when I go to school then I will! Not to mention it makes me worry about my brothers 'birthday dog' and the fact that he has noooo idea how hard it is to find a place with any kind of dog...

*sigh* I'll stop ranting and raving now. People offering me animals has just drawn my nerves to breaking. If I had a house I'd probably be running a rescue already!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I have been trying to figure out what to do with my little kitty when I emigrate. I don't care about the money, I'll find it to take her with me but I'm worried if I'm doing the right thing by her, its not about what I want.

The problem with my circumstances is that I have to go to Australia for at least two months at the end of the week. I have done my utmost to find someone to either move in here rent free so she doesn't have to move from her own environment (in my mind causing the least stress), to trying to get someone to look after her in their home. Two people have agreed and then backed out last minute leaving me with the only options of either putting her in a cattery for two months or putting her up for adoption.

If I put her in a cattery then I will only be home with her for three months (just time enough to settle back down) when I will be sending her off to the other side of the world on a 24 hour flight only to be put in quarantine for a month and then to be shipped again from Sydney to Queensland but ultimately we would be together again. I wish I could just send her over there now but my visa hasn't been granted and I worry that there may be very small chance that it may be declined, then I would have to put her though the whole flight and quarantine situation again and its not just a month here, its six months.

The cats protection league have offered her a place (I only spoke to them on Monday to see if this was even an option so you can imagine how shocked I was when they called) but I would have to take her in tomorrow. If they could guarantee me that she would be re homed with in a couple of weeks, I feel that this would be the less stressful thing but they cant, she could be there for months.

My Tilly does stress quite a lot anyway, so its a damned if I do dammed if I don't situation.

I just don't understand people that can just give up animals on a whim. I am devastated at the thought that either way she is going to have to be with out me, alone and confused. I want to punch myself for having to put her through that.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I know what you mean. I know two people right now who are moving and trying to give away their animals. I know sometimes there are dire circumstances and people really have no choice, but these people are just too lazy to find a place that accepts a dog and a cat so of course they give the cat away!!! What happened to life long commitment? My boyfriend and I purposely found a place that accepted animals before we even had one so we wouldn't have any issues when we decided to adopt.

Kamie- I'm sorry you are going through this, I am certainly not talking about you!

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
It's not always a matter of just moving. Maybe these people simply can't afford to properly care for their pets anymore and are trying to do the best thing for them.

I can barely afford to live where I live now, but I also can't afford to move. And when I finally can, I have no idea how long it'll take me to find a place that will accept four cats. It took forever to find a decent place that would take ONE.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't understand that either I mean I moved back in with my parents in the basement just so I could keep Boo.I'm on disability but I make sure Boo's needs come first.Few months ago a friend of mine gave her cat away because she couldn't afford him when she makes two times more then I do in a month and lives rent free in her cat loving mom house!People who do stuff like that make me angry!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not always a matter of just moving. Maybe these people simply can't afford to properly care for their pets anymore and are trying to do the best thing for them.

I can barely afford to live where I live now, but I also can't afford to move. And when I finally can, I have no idea how long it'll take me to find a place that will accept four cats. It took forever to find a decent place that would take ONE.
I understand that some people fall on tough times (heck, it's happened to me a couple times) and sometimes your only option is a heartbreaking one. I know for a fact that this particular friend of mine is not bothering to do anything about her cats. She's moving in with her boyfriend and I guess her mum doesn't want them.

This is not a thread condemning people who have tried every other option and have to face a heart wrenching decision. This is for the people who find out they're moving away, going off to college, moving out and don't even make an effort. Those are the people I can't stand (heck, it's why I'm not very close friends with some people).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts