Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Well, in the adventure that is Sigma's life, my mom has decided not to keep him. *sigh* It's fine really, I kind of didn't want her to Keep-keep him, just take care of him until June when we move out west (so we wouldn't have to move three cats and just two). But oh well. Anyway, he is coming back home with me on Thursday. Do any of you have any tips on how I can make the re-introduction go smoothly? I was thinking of putting vanilla on the two at home, and Sigma too, so that they won't freak out as much when they see eachother again. I will also try and keep Sigma in the bathroom for maybe a day or so when I get back. It's just that we have a very small 1-bedroom apt and the bathroom is tiny. Anyone have any advice? Do I have to bathe the cats before putting vanilla on them? How much vanilla is enough? Does it just go on their fur or does it go on their skin like flea treatment?

Thanks
~Tanya

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
How did all the cats get along before Sigma left? That could make all the difference in the world in how they get reintroduced.

I'm not too helpful with this, but I'd say if they got along fine the first time you probably won't have many problems. however, if they were never very fond of each other, it may be a lot harder to get him back into the house with them.

Just be patient and I'm sure it'll all work out just fine. Good luck! :)

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I think you can probably do a bit shortened routine, but I'd still take my time, using the carrier after two different rooms, exchanging bedding, and a drop of vanilla. I believe they'll soon remember each other. Sometimes cats live together for years and never really like each other, and others make friends really fast. If they were friends, there must have been something they liked about each other. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! So, just a drop eh?

Well, see, Samhain didn't like him at all and she's really only just started to tolerate Psi. But Psi and Sigma seemed to get along alright. They only lived together for about three weeks before I brought him home, though, so I don't think they'll remember him much at all. I'll try and take it slow, but as I said, we have a really small apartment :/

·
Registered
22 Posts
My mother's cat stayed with us frequently when she travelled (2-3 times a year). There might have been the odd token hiss but nothing significant. We didn't isolate him. You have the additional issue of the move but things will at least smell familiar to him.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Jeanie! I'll let you know how it turns out. Joe says Psi is doing well and that all the guests to our house want to cat-nap him hehe. He has really mellowed out, though he still gets crazy now and then. But he's not nearly as bratty, phew!

This is the most recent picture I have of him that Joe sent. I thought I posted it a while ago? Maybe not... anyway, he's ridiculously cute, isn't he?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
you took the words right out of my mouth! Adorable! I love grey kitties :)

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Hr's beautiful! I must have missed that post. Remember when he was tiny? The forum was just getting off the ground, so we didn't miss many posts at all! How things have changed. I'm really happy for catman!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Are grey kitties mostly males? Zoe (one of the few more tamed feral cats) gave birth around 3 weeks ago to 5 kittens(one passed away soon after he was born) but the 4 left (1 black and 3 gray ones) appear to be all boys (I am 99.9% certain) + Grayson is another gray Tom kitty from the colony.
I wonder why different patterns of fur in kitties tend to be found mostly in males respectively females. I have seen gray females here but they have at least a little bit of yellow in their fur (sort of diluted) - or the gray is not solid. Torties are known to be females ...I have nver seen a male torie. Now the stories about orange cats being mostly males didn't really apply here because out of all of the orange cats here there seems to be a 50 - 50 chance to find both genders - but I must add the colony is dominated by orange cats.

Tanyuh - your kitty is adorable :D

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
ioana said:
I wonder why different patterns of fur in kitties tend to be found mostly in males respectively females. I have seen gray females here but they have at least a little bit of yellow in their fur (sort of diluted) - or the gray is not solid.
I've definately heard that the color you described is almost always a female's coat. I learned this last time I took my cat to the vet and she gave me the second degree about how sure I was that my cat was a male because he looked so girly with his grey and blotchy tan coat :) he may look woman, sound woman, and act woman, but he's my little boy, lol.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Your kitty certainly looks feminine - very sweet and with expressive eyes - he fooled me on the gender but I am sure he is extremely sweet in nature :D

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I haven't met a lot of grey cats in person, but the family of my first friend had a grey female. I believe her name was Sabby! Sound familiar? I have an email friend who raises Russian Blues, but she lives in Australia. I wish I could meet them. They're beautiful cats!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts