Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. :) Been away for a while with health issues (and slight cat introduction issues) but everything seems to be finally going the right way.

My question is: As some may know, a few weeks ago I got a (9 year old) cat from a friend who couldn't keep it any longer. The cat (Monkey) was insanely skittish at first, but has come around and now hangs around with us, purrs and cats... well, like a normal cat would. He even plays with Voldie (the 8-month old kitten)!

Thing is, although the friend comes visit regularly with his older son (who misses the cat terribly), everytime they are here, Monkey hides away and refuses to come out! Even if called by his old (and only one he had before) before. He absolutely will not let himself be seen/approached by either my friend or his kid. I even tried to give him some treats (which he loves) and see if he'd come around, to no avail.

It shocks me because it's such a 180 deegree flip from Monkey's usually calm, albeit slightly nervous behaviour, to a terrified, hiding cat. Which got me wondering, is it possible that Monkey got abused?

I have no idea what the signs of abuse in a cat are, though I think that Monkey is very happy here, since he seems so relaxed most of the time.

·
Registered
594 Posts
It may be nothing. It doesn't take kitties long to forget a person or previous kitty friend even. I had only had my 2 for less than 2 weeks when the former foster mom came over. They were hiding from her already. If the kitty is skittish to begin with, they're more like to hide when a 'stranger' comes over, and after some time, anyone from a previous home that they don't see on a regular basis becomes a stranger.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
It may be abandonment issues not abuse, when I went on my 1st business trip after I got Samantha I didn't want to leave her alone at my apartment so I took her to my office to live with Matty the office cat and have the girls look after her.
Well while all the girls adored her and spoiled her rotten she didn't get along with Matty and when I got back she was furious at me, she took 1 look at me and ran and hid in the fabric sample bins.
After that I left her at home and people came by twice a day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts