Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is a silly question, but do you ever give your cat a bath? I mean actually in the sink or the bathtub? I have the wipes but they erally don't seem to do a very good job, she is an indoor cat anyway, but i was just curious.

·
Banned
60 Posts
I bathe all my cats in the shower. I usually lure them in with a bowl of food and then wet and soap each one before rinsing. They all react quite differently but as long as the water is warm, they should be fine.

Only 12.5 year old Boy howls at the indignity of it all. The rest grin and bear it. They all get treats right after their towelling down. :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Cats don't generally need to be bathed, unless they go outside and/or get into something yucky.

Bathing a cat is not for the faint-hearted! They tend to not like it much, and will let you know!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
983 Posts
We bathe Marsh once a month. for various reasons, one, we have people with cat allergies in the house, and it seems to cut down on dander. Second reason is his stud tail, he got it at around 3 months, and we hope it will go away since we had him neutered, but there's no guarantee. Also, he's white and gets dirty easily, even though he's 100% indoor.

We use a very good shampoo and usually it goes quickly, but the last time Marsh was meowing right in my face :( He usually settles down and stops the screams after the first 2min, and then it's clean sailing.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Yup, about once every month or two...when the white ones start turning yellow and the black one get dandruff. :) We got kitty shampoo from the store and they all get washed down really good with that.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Thanks so much - she's our "big baby"...she's the dandruffy one, too.

Your babe is adorable, I love your signature - caught my eye on a post I was reading earlier.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I washed Angel only once, when he was a wee kitten - when I brought him home he was covered in fleas, I do believe. He didn't appreciate the bath, but we've only ever had to do it once - he's now 5 and always prestine, even though he goes outside. Longhair and never had mats either.

Edit: here's some pictures that were taken of that bath :D

The now-15-year-old cat of my parents', now that's another story. He got fleas once, when he got neutered at 6months - he came back from the vets full of fleas (yuck!) We brushed and brushed him, and we tried giving him a bath...... we couldn't even get his TAIL in. Had we really insisted on dunking him I think we would have had to all been in suits of armor - that was not a cat to tick off!

Right now we have enough problems with the dogs. :)

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
The only time we ever bathed Beeper was after she got into some motor oil. Don't know how in the heck she managed that, but the lower half of her body was coated. We washed her in Dawn, as per the vet's instruction and the oil came off...along with her fur 8O

It all grew back, luckily, but we haven't given her a bath since then.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Mine also get a bath once a month... Magnum (the grumpy fluffy one) actually likes baths - he goes in last and i can leave him in there playing with the bubbles from the shampoo of the other three. Getting him out and drying him is another matter.

As long as i only use wipes on their heads they are fine with the rest of them being bathed. Scully is taking a little time to get used to it - but is much better in the bath now than he was when we got him in March.

I also got a nice cat shampoo and coat conditioner from the pet store which i have noticed stops them turning yellow so soon!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I only bathe Sabby if he needs it. For example, he got his last bath because the people at my vet's office who gave him some enemas let it splash all over his back side and legs and he was completely coated in...well...the stuff that comes out when you give a cat an enema. Yuck!!! Poor kitty. Rough day like that and when he comes home I put him in the bathtub.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Crystal211 said:
Thanks so much - she's our "big baby"...she's the dandruffy one, too.

Your babe is adorable, I love your signature - caught my eye on a post I was reading earlier.
Thanks for praising the sig :) I try to make it fun, pretty and informative at the same time, since he's a muchnkin and has short legs. I also change out pictures, every few months, just to keep it fresh :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts