Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our apartment complex sometimes turns off the water for a time and then when it comes back on, our water is brown. After we run it for awhile, it clears up.
However, they turned the water off yesterday and today. Last night and tonight, whenever I run the hot water, it comes out sort of a milky white. If I run it in a bowl, the white color fades after about 30 seconds and it looks almost clear, but it still looks like there is some silt or something on the top of the water. The cold water doesn't do this. Even after running the water for quite a while, it has not gone away.
I'm very irritated, because all my dishes have been dirty for the past two nights and I cannot wash them in this dirty water. I also can't cook anything, because I do not want to use our spring water that costs $1 a gallon. The least the apartment could do is notify us when they will be turning the water off and for why, but they never do.
I called the apartment's answering service and was told that there was nothing maintenance could do about it....it was from turning the water off. What the heck? I have silt or something in my water and I want it gone!
Question #1: What is this stuff in our water and why is it here from them turning the water off and back on?
Question #2: Is it harmful?
Question #3: Why isn't it going away?
Question #4: Would I be justified if I told the complex that I want a refund on part of my $20 per month water bill they charge us? I know it sounds petty, but this happens about once a month when they do this with no notification. Not to mention the 3 days we had no hot water one month and I had to take cold showers in the middle of winter. :evil: I feel like we are paying for a service that we are not receiving on a dependable basis.

·
Premium Member
28,617 Posts
On rare occasions, the water authority has a broken pipe (or whatever), and our water goes off--perhaps once every few years. After doing some spurting and looking a bit brown for a short time, the water's back to normal. So I can't imagine what the problem is. Have you considered taking a sample of water to the Dept. of Health? You can't live without water. I'd want to be sure all was ok. You could have a private company test it also. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
it almost sounds like you've got some build up (hard water deposits) in your pipes. Try getting one of those water filters that you can attach to the faucet!

·
Banned
12,194 Posts
shlanon said:
Our apartment complex sometimes turns off the water for a time and then when it comes back on, our water is brown. After we run it for awhile, it clears up.
This is normal.

Last night and tonight, whenever I run the hot water, it comes out sort of a milky white. If I run it in a bowl, the white color fades after about 30 seconds and it looks almost clear,
This could be air bubbles in the water, caused by a water heater turned up too high.

but it still looks like there is some silt or something on the top of the water.
Could be scale in the water heater which is getting into the hot water also because the water heater is set too high.

·
Banned
12,194 Posts
Except that if the filter is used to filter that high a concentration of particulates in the water, she's going to be going through filters at a prodigious rate. Their intended purpose is to provide filtered drinking water only. Using for all water needs is very expensive. :(

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We buy spring water for drinking. We just use the tap water for cooking, etc. I will call them tomorrow and ask what is going on. I just don't get why they can't at least put some flyers up to let people know what's up.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
There is ALWAYS silt in my water. The water gives me a horrific headache (even with just bathing in it) so I only bath twice a week. When I had some money problems last summer I was parched all the time my throat was hurting, but I couldn't bring myself to drink the tap water. I ended up with a 2 liter cola a day habit (generic cola is only 50 cents per 2 liters where I live. Cola is literally cheaper than water.)

It is just the water in College Station, though. It is DARK GREEN when you fill up a bathtub 8O 8O 8O . It is even more third world country than Nantou, Taiwan 8O 8O 8O

1 - 10 of 10 Posts