Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our little kitten is very outgoing and friendly. She is 5 months old. I worry that when we are gone to work all day that she gets lonely. Should I add another kitten to keep her company? During the day, she does not get the run of the house, she currently is in a giant dog crate (a colossal sized great dane crate) with a bed, toys, scratching stuff and litter pan and food and still plenty of room to play. I am actually thinking of building a shelf in there for her. Then when my daughter gets home, she is allowed to have the kitchen to play in, and the dogs are separated off, and then when I am home she again gets more time to play. She also snuggles on the sofa with us when we watch TV with the dogs in the room, and she gets leashed walked outside with the dogs for their evening walk. More of I stand there with a cat on leash while she sniffs whatever she wants and plays with the dogs. She is slowly being introduced to them, but she will never ever be alone with the dogs. But they have to learn to respect her.

But I took the cat personality test and she falls into the very social one that would do well with a friend. I worry that the 8 hours we are gone that she gets lonely. My mother does live on our property and she lets the dogs out and she also checks on her favorite grand kitty. As she grows, I may transfer her to the guest bedroom, but she really loves her crate in the kitchen, and it keeps the dogs out of the kitty crunchies in the litter pan. So should I look at adopting another kitten for her from the pound? She loves to wrestle and she is very gentle but snuggling is her favorite. Should I think of a male or female? I am thinking another girl...

I am not a newbie to animals, so please do not think I am a collector. I have been showing and competing dogs on a national level for years but I am not a breeder (yet...). But I keep my dogs in pairs to prevent loneliness and to give them their own kind to socialize with. I feel it is healthier. This cat may already have an identity crisis with the leash walking :wink. But I am doing that for in case she ever gets outside accidentally she will not panic and she will know her way back home and ways to get into the house.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Our first cat - also rated social....when he was about a year old, we added our second cat (kitten). We did very slow introductions - and they are great friends - always together!

Others here will chime in, but follow the instructions for a slow introduction and I'll bet you have great success. Even better if they are altered. :)

We are about to find out how cats # 3 & 4 fit in with # 1 & 2 - should be interesting!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
When we got Boowe had no idea there was a process. We just kinda plunked her in. kept a close eye, but no baby gates or anything like that. We just didnt know anything was normally required! In the end we got lucky, that Simba converted to himself (had an attitude for a good couple weeks), and that Max was completely ok with cats, since Max got Simba before he got Boo.

Eventually everyone got along and all was well. Simba even will let Boo eat first now if theyre both hungry (same bowl).

We got lucky too, the at the time one litterbox smelled like Boo, which smelled like garbage juice, literally. and Simba still used the litter. Whew!!

if i had it to do over i would have at LEAST gotten her her own second litterbox right off, instead of just making Simba do that. she could have cared less about his smell. but i cant imagine he was originally ok with another kitties scent in "HIS" box.

Poor Boo too. feels like total crap from lack of food/eating garbage, and we plunk her into a new surruounding, with TWO new (nonhuman) beings to get used to. exhausting when your already exhausted. she was probably so stressed. For the longest time even us going near her when she slept, she woke right up!! You could tell seh was used to having to keep an eye open while she slept.

Luckily she sleeps soundly now:)

but somehow thank god it all worked out!!

Forgot to mention Boo went into heat a couple weeks later...and well. Maybe you had to be there. But Simba knew what it meant, and mounted... paused for a second. Got off and went immediately back to sleep! lol. as if to say "sorry i forget what comes next" lol. when he layed back down she was mowing so bad and like, backing her butt up into his face likee "HELP ME!!" lol. Poor things.

But the very short version is, if you have 2 kitties, that means 2 kitties have a forever home instead of just one :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
We're also afraid that Milky is lonely while we're in work all day. We watch him on the camera and he doesn't seem to play much, usually just likes lounging about and sleeping on our sofa or eating. I sometimes wish I could get another kitty to play with him, but the size of our apartment really doesn't allow for another kitty... Hopefully we can move to a bigger place in the near future so Milky can have a friend to play with!

·
Registered
336 Posts
The idea of keeping a kitten in a crate all day is so strange to me, if it's because of the dogs I'd be at least shutting her in a room so she has the space to run, climb and play.

Many cats enjoy the company of others, but if you put in the time and effort cats can happily live alone.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think a companion kitten is a good idea.

We kept our cat's in the bathroom when we first got them, I suggest that over keeping the kitten crated. Even a very big crate doesn't have alot of room for a rambunctious kitten.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I recommend getting her a companion kitty. You also wouldn't feel bad leaving them alone for a few hours a day. I have two brothers, they love each other, play, and challenge each other. I hear it's healthier psychologically for them to have a companion.

Good Luck, you'll have such fun watching them interact!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think getting another kitty is a good idea. If my apartment allowed it I would get my social kitten a playmate.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I vote second kitty. Sammy was an only cat for a couple of years. I moved in with a friend who had a cat and I realised how much he loved having a friend. When we moved away from my friend, we adopted Meeka and I can't imagine them not having each other.

·
Registered
474 Posts
count me in to also think that you should consider a friend for your kitten :) i got both of my kittens at the same time, so i don't know what it's like to have just one, but it is nice that they have each other's company when we aren't around. also, i feel there is something to be said about cat friends...there are ways they can play with and understand each other that us humans could never give them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am about 4 weeks into introducing a new kitten to my 2 year old. It's gone really well!

We had two brothers when I was younger, and they were such incredible friends. When I got Libby, I started feeling guilty about leaving her alone for long stretches, so I eventually got the kitten.

I did a slow introduction (over about a week), and it's great. The kitten LOVES Libby so much. Libby does love the kitten, and it warms my heart seeing how great she is with her. I also don't feel guilty about longer work/school days anymore, as I know that they at least have company.

I vote 2 cats. In my experience before this, having another "cat buddy" keeps them socialized, playful and young.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts