Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat (recently rescued from a life on the streets) got let out by my flatmate the other day. This wouldn't have been such a problem but....seeing as the cat is deaf and blind (also prone to walking in circles) he is not allowed outside unless it is on the balcony with supervision.
Anywho...
We eventually found him walking around in circles on the road, got him inside, and dried him off (it had been raining and he's just gotten over the cat flu).

But now he will not stop meowing that really sad meow that sounds almost like he is saying mum. It is getting on everyones nerves and we can't keep him quite for long. We only seem to get some peace when he is picked up, on the balcony or sleeping in bed with me and my partner at night.

Please help!!!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I think the crying will stop when the poor kitten feels secure. It must have been terrible being on the street, and not knowing which way to go, or what his surroundings are. :( I'm sure you've reminded your flatmate how important it is to make sure he doesn't get out.

I'm so glad you rescued him. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
I would keep holding him as long as he wants. Poor little guy, he was most surely traumatized. :patback

You're wonderful for taking him in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the support. He's getting worse now though, will not stop meowing when we pick him up now. Seems quite distraught. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we just got him back from the vet about a week ago and was told that nothing was wrong with him apart from what had already been stated. (blind,deaf,arthritic,retarded)

·
Registered
261 Posts
maybe he wasnt fixed all the way and wants a booty call and hes frustrated cause he cant see or hear her?

for some reason (probably not fixed all the way) my cat azores in the spring time would meow at the door all day and night. we had to block her alot to keep her from getting out. one time my husband was slacking and she got through, she was out and about for at least two hours before we finally got her. i think she got some cause she stopped meowing and stopped trying to get outside lol.

so your cat walks in circles? does he do it a certain times? is it a ritual? how easy is it for him to find the litter box and food bowls? maybe him walking in circles is some comfort thing.

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
Jazz said:
(blind,deaf,arthritic,retarded)
It doesn't sound as though his quality of life is all that great. Would it not be the kinder thing to do to let him go? I know how terrible that sounds, but he just seems so unhappy and lost. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jadedea Jade said:
maybe he wasnt fixed all the way and wants a booty call and hes frustrated cause he cant see or hear her?

for some reason (probably not fixed all the way) my cat azores in the spring time would meow at the door all day and night. we had to block her alot to keep her from getting out. one time my husband was slacking and she got through, she was out and about for at least two hours before we finally got her. i think she got some cause she stopped meowing and stopped trying to get outside lol.

so your cat walks in circles? does he do it a certain times? is it a ritual? how easy is it for him to find the litter box and food bowls? maybe him walking in circles is some comfort thing.
Haha that might be a reason, when we took him to the vet they didn't neuter him as they said it had already been done. We have a female cat as well but she makes sure he doesn't get anywhere near her.
He's stopped doing his circles so much. We think that his whiskas may be a little out of whack. He's got one that sticks right out in front of him.
The food bowl and cat litter are in places that he can find and we haven't moved them since he moved in. Plus there are extra ones around the house that my other cat uses.

We think he just wants to go outside whenever he wants but due to the fact that he can't see properly and isn't road smart we don't want him getting into any situations.

Once again he does calm down when he knows that my partner and I are in the same room and my other cat Sassy is taking to following him around and helping him find his way back to us.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
marie73 said:
Jazz said:
(blind,deaf,arthritic,retarded)
It doesn't sound as though his quality of life is all that great. Would it not be the kinder thing to do to let him go? I know how terrible that sounds, but he just seems so unhappy and lost. :(

Yes he is a little blind in one eye, he can still see but has no depth perception (making him prone to just walking straight off things).

His deafness we are starting to think is just him being selectively deaf. He hears things when he wants too.

The vet did not think that it would be nice of us to "let him go" as I did ask if that would be the best thing for him. He said No. We also went and got a second opinion and were told that it would be unkind for us to let him go.

To let him go would be almost letting him think that we do not love him and that once he gets on anyones nerves that instead of providing the attention and care that he needs we are just going to give up on him.

He is a beautiful, loving cat who after a long day at university (for myself) or work (for my partner) will come up and climb all over you, find your face and rub his face against yours until he eventually falls asleep on your chest. He will wake up late at night and follow me to the bathroom, wait and then walk me back to bed. He is an absoultly gorgeous boy who just needs a little work.

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
It sounds as though he's not as bad off as I thought from your post, then.

That's good! :D

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Whew! Me, too! I was thinking he was worse off, too. It does sound like he has some neural problems and usually, accompanying neural problems are some 'tics' that develop; the walking in circles and crying are some, and some cats become fixated on a particular routine and are disrupted at any deviation. Could you think of him as having a mild form of Down's Syndrome and approach his care in that manner? ...mostly just keeping everything as smooth and regular as you can? Cats (and people) with these problems find comfort in routine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your help and sorry for making it seem as though his problems were worse than they are.
We are trying to keep the house as stable as possible for him. The vet did say that he had a neural problem but either failed to tell us what it was or didn't know himself.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Oh, I think 'neural', in the absence of any specific neural problem (like seizures), just indicates he has some malfunctioning synapse delivery routes and the messages his body sends to his brain get a little scrambled during their trip.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
>>>>>>>>UPDATE<<<<<<<<<<

Stig has started to calm down now. He is not meowing so much and is finding solitude in spending time with me and my partner. Sassy (my girl) is starting to take a stance with him, following him around and somewhat acting as as guide dog for him. She still isn't getting along with him but does keep an eye on him from a distance.
Stig has taken a liking in "helping" me with my university work, chasing my pen/pencil, sitting on my books and demanding hugs while I read. He also "helps" in the kitchen now and tends to talk to me the most in there. I'm pretty sure he's telling me about his day. He also "helps" my partner study (to get his private and commercial pilots license).

He seems to be a happy boy and gets along really well in this busy flat. Everybody that comes through loves him and he basks in the attention he gets. He also knows that My partner and I's bedroom is his and Sassy's and will sit in there if he wants some calm away from the household.

He has pretty much stopped with his circles, as we came to the conclusion that it must have been somewhat of an ear infection. We took the vet's advice and had Stig in the bathroom with us when either of us have a shower. The steam from the shower unblocked his ears (although the mess afterwards was something to be left to the imagination). He loves to spend time in the bathroom now and has even taken a liking to getting in the shower sometimes.

He seems a really happy cat now and I am proud of his speedy recovery

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
What a great update! That makes me feel so much better. You're wonderful for taking such good care of him. He's probably in the best home he could ever dream of.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh is he ever, wouldn't change him for the world though. We've also found a new way to get him right off to sleep...the heater...he now has a big cat crush on it :luv

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She's probab;y just telling you that shes happy and a simple purr doesn't do her happiness justice?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts