Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I slowly switched to only wet cat food for my 2 cats

Ive been using Blue Wilderness for dry food for about a year now and as much as my cats love it I am trying to switch completly over to wet food.

Its failry expensive to but the wet food at PetSmart here in Canada

Are there any good websites that will ship to Canada

I am looking to buy
Blue Wilderness Canned
or
Wellness Canned

any other good recommended wet food ?

PS: whats better in terms of quality/price ? Wilderness or Wellness brand?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Figured id post this pic LOL I was filling it up
didnt get a chance to put the lid back on
before my cat got his head all in it

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have found 2 I think, but the risk of customs seizing it at my expense is too high. There doesn't seem to be an inexpensive (like in the US) online food place for us Canadians unfortunately. It would be so convenient.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Common I am sure there has to be at least one good website that has an inventory supply of cat food that sells/ships within Canada then for cheaper than buying from PetsSmart

·
Banned
873 Posts
Hey Tuna! Love that pic!

I'll share a couple of "tricks" for reducing the cost.

First, I've found that retailers (not PetSmart*) are often willing to give a 10% discount for purchases by the case (12 or 24 cans).

Second, a lot can be saved by purchasing the large (12/12.5oz) cans (unused portions being short-term refridgerated in glass/ceramic containers).

I'm on the far east coast...here, normal Wellness 12oz retail is $2.99....less 10% is $2.69.

Ask around....look for a PJs Pets/PetsUnlimited - they will offer the 10%....now, if you (or someone you know) is of a certain age:wink:, they'll increase that to 20% (PM me if you want more info) Almost forgot, they provide a cash-back card on top of all that.

I'll pass on the "which is better BW/Wellness" question (you'll want to use only the Wellness grain-free to compare) - I'd say that would depend on the carb content of BW...Wellness gf is about 18% carbs - you'd need to phone BW to get theirs.

*When PetSmart opened here, I approached the manager asking about the case discount for a six-cat family - what I got was a snotty, snobby "no". A few weeks back I went in for a look-around - they had a Wellness "special" for $2.69.

I am sure there has to be at least one good website that has an inventory supply of cat food that sells/ships within Canada
Don't think so...but, $2.39 + cashback for a 12oz can?.....come on :yellbounce

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
To my knowledge (searched over a month), there is no online store that ship wet cat food to Canada FOR FREE (doesn't matter how much your order). Even the online petstores based in Canada charge you shipping if you order canned food. Shipping from the States? Just forget about it. The custom fee will give you heart attack.

So unless there is no local pet shop you can find, or you don't have means for transportation, just buy locally and forget about ordering wet food online. Petsmart food price isn't high at all (at least in Toronto and Kitchener). Their Wellness canned is the same price as PetValu. Globepetfood will be about 10c cheaper for each can if you buy in bulk (12 cans). My problem with Petsmart is they don't have a lot of good food brands. I only like their Wellness, Innova, and Neturient organic beef.

·
Banned
873 Posts
...Shipping from the States? Just forget about it. The custom fee will give you heart attack.
Well, maybe not quite a heart attack. IF the food is a product of the US, Mexico or Canada, the only applicable taxes will be Provincial sales tax and Federal GST or HST. With NAFTA, the old customs regimen is gone. You may well have to pay a fee for customs brokerage, though.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Well, I order different stuff from the States before. Never bothered to check the break-down and see how each item (tax, brokerage, whatever else) cost, but the fee Canadian custom add on top of shipping never fail to surprise me... The last time I ordered a box of jigsaw puzzle that worth < 30$ from US, I was charged over 8$ aside from shipping. Before that was my MP3 player worth about 70$, and I paid 23$ additional. Canadian custom is just a money-sucking black hole...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, maybe not quite a heart attack. IF the food is a product of the US, Mexico or Canada, the only applicable taxes will be Provincial sales tax and Federal GST or HST. With NAFTA, the old customs regimen is gone. You may well have to pay a fee for customs brokerage, though.
Brokerage fees are a huge pain... It's whatever the shipping companies decide to charge for handling the form that says "this is covered under NAFTA, appropriate taxes have been paid" :deal

Absolutely steer clear of UPS; IME they charge ridiculously high fees, so if the company you want to order from ships UPS, insist they use another carrier or look elsewhere (if it's FedEx, contact FedEx to find out what the fee will be; I don't think it's on their site). USPS is typically the most reasonable in terms of brokerage, if often the slowest option, and the initial shipping for parcels tends to cost more with them than with a courier like FedEx.

There are also companies who will provide you with a US shipping address and then forward all your US mail to your Canadian address. For a fee, of course, but it might be worth looking into if you order from the US very regularly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im very surprised there is no supply depot within Canada

Heres an example... I order supplemnts online for myself I go on a website that is based in the USA but has a depot in Canada so when you order online they just ship to you from the canadian wearhouse .. anyways thanks

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I think I've already mentioned that there are Canadian-based online petstore. However, even when the warehouse is in Canada (many are actually in Ontario), they still charge you shipping for wet food. Some stores waive shipping on OTHER items when you order more than a certain amount. But for cat food, they always charge you shipping because its heavy. I believe for US stores that have depot in Canada, it's the same story. So the price is not cheap when adding shipping cost on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I've already mentioned that there are Canadian-based online petstore. However, even when the warehouse is in Canada (many are actually in Ontario), they still charge you shipping for wet food. Some stores waive shipping on OTHER items when you order more than a certain amount. But for cat food, they always charge you shipping because its heavy. I believe for US stores that have depot in Canada, it's the same story. So the price is not cheap when adding shipping cost on.

Ok am I missing something here....

Why would there be a website to order cat food online and pay shipping (mind you wet cat food is not as heavy as buying a 10lb cat food bag you can 50 (estimate) wet can foods for that weight but anyways.

Why would there be a site for canadian cat food shoppers to go on when they can simply go into a store and get it for cheaper?> lol

They would not be in business if that was true.

:)

if I save 10$ online (not cheap) its still better for me to do that

just saying

·
Registered
106 Posts
Why would there be a site for canadian cat food shoppers to go on when they can simply go into a store and get it for cheaper?> lol

They would not be in business if that was true.

:)

In a word? Convenience. They're also likely not supplying only individuals, but shops who can order half a a truckload as well. So no danger of going out of business either... their profits come primarily from shops, rather than individuals.

Online shopping sites in Canada are often run as a "convenient" option for those who don't want to go to a store, not as an exclusive business. Very typical, and often rather annoying :?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
10 lb of dry food is actually the same weight as a case (12 cans) of 13oz cans. They are both heavy. When I found the first website that says "free shipping in Ontario on orders 60$ or more", I was thrilled. But after I placed some cans in my shopping chart and check out, a large shipping fee showed up. That's when I noticed the fine print that says "exception for very heavy or oversize items". I was like &$^%@!(* (cursing words sensored).

As to why they can still run the business with shipping added? I have quite a few friends who don't own a car. They either shop with me when I drive, or have to use public transit. Carrying heavy stuff all the way on bus or subway is not easy, so they are willing to pay some shipping. But I think the pet food business are not the main hit for those Canadian online shop, because their varieties are really limited. I guess they get most of they business on items like healthcare product, toys, pet cloth etc., which are eligible for free shipping.

PS: The canned food from online store have slightly better price (if not count shipping). For example, Wellness 13oz can is 20c cheaper than in Petsmart or Petvalu.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmmm well if thats the case that really sucks we Canadians have no online $saving ways to feed our cats

howcome in the US they can offer free shipping but not in Canada :(

:catmilk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hmmmm well if thats the case that really sucks we Canadians have no online $saving ways to feed our cats

howcome in the US they can offer free shipping but not in Canada :(

:catmilk
IIRC, the costs are different at the courier/postal service level. Offering the same prices for Canada - relatively few shipments across a relatively huge area - as within the continental US - truckloads of product going all over the place all the time - would lose any courier money (unless you wanted to wait months for a truck to fill up enough to make the shipment worth it...). So offering 'free shipping' means the supplier loses much more money in Canada than in the US (*someone* has to pay the courier...). Often that 'free shipping' option excludes places like Hawaii and Alaska too, so if it's any consolation Canada's not exactly unique in that situation :(

If you're going to be ordering a substantial amount, you could always contact them directly and specifically ask if there's any way to get free shipping or a reduced price if you order $XXX? Worth a shot, anyway; they might be willing to work with you if you make it worth their while.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What a timely thread for me. Right now I live 5 minutes away from the u.s border so i have been ordering all of my high quality canned food for my fur babies online and picking it up across the border. It has saved me a lot of money and there is so much more variety too.
Now my husband is being transferred this summer and we have to move. I will be at least 2.5 hours away from the border now, so I don't know what I am going to do now. I'm thinking I am going to have to switch to raw now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No I meant.

Say you are a website operating in the USA with a wearhouse to ship out of and you offer free shipping to anywhere in the USA.. obviously you wont profit as much if you were to include canada in free shipping

but what I meant was why is there No canadian website with a wearhouse in canada that will do the same offer free shipping to anywhere in Canada..

I mean the cost USA shipping within USA is the same as Canadians shipping within Canada.

so why there is someone in US that will ship to the US but not someone in canada that will do teh same without charging us $

:yellbounce
IIRC, the costs are different at the courier/postal service level. Offering the same prices for Canada - relatively few shipments across a relatively huge area - as within the continental US - truckloads of product going all over the place all the time - would lose any courier money (unless you wanted to wait months for a truck to fill up enough to make the shipment worth it...). So offering 'free shipping' means the supplier loses much more money in Canada than in the US (*someone* has to pay the courier...). Often that 'free shipping' option excludes places like Hawaii and Alaska too, so if it's any consolation Canada's not exactly unique in that situation :(

If you're going to be ordering a substantial amount, you could always contact them directly and specifically ask if there's any way to get free shipping or a reduced price if you order $XXX? Worth a shot, anyway; they might be willing to work with you if you make it worth their while.

·
Registered
106 Posts
No I meant.

Say you are a website operating in the USA with a wearhouse to ship out of and you offer free shipping to anywhere in the USA.. obviously you wont profit as much if you were to include canada in free shipping

but what I meant was why is there No canadian website with a wearhouse in canada that will do the same offer free shipping to anywhere in Canada..

I mean the cost USA shipping within USA is the same as Canadians shipping within Canada.

so why there is someone in US that will ship to the US but not someone in canada that will do teh same without charging us $

:yellbounce
Wish I could tell you! My assumption is that it's not worth it to the companies, for some reason. Either it's because the cost of shipping is *not* the same "within Canada" as "within the US" (has anyone checked this?), or because they have no incentive to offer free shipping (e.g. more business from 'truckload' companies than private individuals), or because they're already cutting their costs as close as they can and would lose money if they offered it (especially if they're not getting their food from a Canadian manufacturer and have to pay import fees, taxes, shipping, etc.), or something else I haven't thought of...

Even if they don't offer it on their site, I'd call and ask them directly. You can even ask them *why* they don't offer free shipping, although I wouldn't necessarily expect a straight answer :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts