Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’m a pet parent to a 4 y/o male Persian Cat (Spayed). I got him shaved at the vet recently ( On 31/7) and he had a wound from the shaving that caught our eye a 3-4 days after the shave. As it was superficial we did not do anything about it and let it be to heal on it’s own. Almost a week after (on 8/8) the shave I gave him a bath, the same day he developed a fever at night, and the wound had not healed so it got a bit triggered too, also his lower back and sides keep twitching at random intervals (which is unusual and has never happened before unless I tickled him or touched him at a sensitive area) I took him to the vet the next day (On 9/8) and they gave him injections for 3 days to get the fever down. ( He had a fever of 102 on the first day )
He’s eating food and grooming himself but he’s not been too active ( he used to run around a lot ) and still has that stressed out look too. Apart from this, on the first day (on 9/8) of the vet visit I raised my concern to the vet of my cat having flaky skin but the vet passed it off as hair knots due to the recent shave but I was still doubtful. I raised my concern again for the next two days and he said it’s just due to the shave and use a flea comb to comb it off. I still was not sure as the flakes had spread on his back even more in the two days (10/8 and 11/8). On the last vet visit (11/8) I raised my concern again and even showed him that the edges of my cat’s ear on the inside has dry skin. He ruled it out as ear mites and applied Broadline (2.5-7.5 kgs cats) He applied two doses of it saying one won’t be sufficient as my cat is a bit heavy. Even though he is around 5 kgs. After that, the flaky skin started spreading even more. Yesterday, (12/8) I combed out his hair with the flea comb, abd the flakes came out with little hairy clusters. I googled but couldn’t find anything definitive. I’m attaching pictures. Can anyone please let me know what it is? It would put my mind at ease to know it’s not anything too serious.
I’m also taking him to another vet tomorrow, hopefully I can get some answers

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Find a new vet. I've never had this sort of issue arise strictly from shaving. I shave my Persian mix and I'm a groomer. There could be a food allergy or sensitivity, also. Is he an indoor only cat? He could get sunburned after getting shaved.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
143 Posts
How often do you bathe him and why? What shampoo do you use? What was the reason for shaving?

Bathing too often can strip the natural oils from their coat and cause dry, flaky skin. Cat fur generally isn't designed to get wet, and therefore often doesn't dry properly without assistance. If you didn't thoroughly dry him after his bath, its possible the dampness in his fur could have caused the fever (has happened to cats at my clinic before).

The little wound you mentioned looks like the clippers may have aggravated his nipple, which is a pretty common occurrence and should settle down soon.

I also agree that it could be a food or environmental sensitivity causing the flakiness as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts