Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My foster kitty is peeing on everything! He peed on some papers on my desk last night, he peed on the floor in my mom's room, he's peed on the couch, what is going on here? I'm trying to find the money to take him to the vet to get him tested for a UTI, but right now I don't have the money-what should I do with him until I can afford to pay the vet? And what should I do if it turns out to be a behavioral problem? I've never had to deal with this before!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Can you confine him to a room with his own litter box? You say he is a foster kitty, how long has he been with you? Do you have other cats? If it isn't a UTi, it is possible he is being kept away from the litter boxes or is just plain confused. Even if you have no other kitties, confinement in a small room with a litter box will help you keep a close eye on him. Is there any blood or crystals in his urine? Please keep us posted.

Are you fostering him for an organization? Maybe they will pay for a vet visit? Best of luck :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't noticed any blood or crystals in his urine. I went to the vet and got a syringe and instructions on how to collect a urine sample, so I'll get a urine sample and take it down to the vets. Skylar has been with us since April last year, so it's been almost a year now :( Poor guy is very shy and is having a horrible time finding his forever home! He is confined to only my bedroom now. I live with my parents right now and my mom isn't happy with him. She's even threatening to take him to the shelter if he doesn't stop peeing in the house! I hope this takes care of the problem and I don't have to send Skylar to the shelter!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We aren't fostering for an organization. Skylar was dumped on our doorstep, and we've been trying to find him a home ever since. I'm NOT going to let him go to the shelter if there is any possible way for me to stop it. I'm contacting different animal rescues and telling them my situation. I have one rescue that listed him on Petfinder for me, but Skylar is still legally ours right now. He really needs a permant home, but I don't know what else to try there. Please don't take this us "I don't want this cat any longer so I'm going to dump him at the shelter". I'm doing everything I can to keep that from happening, but I'm moving in 2 months and I probably can't take Sklar with me, and that's where the biggest problem comes in-If I'm not here there's nothing to stop her from doing that if he doesn't change his ways. Please no flames, I just want advice on how I can get him to use the litter box again so my mom will forget it and let him stay until I can find a permant home for him.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's o.k., you're on the right track :) . You need to rule out a urinary tract infection which you are trying to do and you have him confined to your room. Use a plain, unscented litter (you may need to experiment with clay or clumping to see what he likes best) and keep it very clean. When you see him using it, tell him what "a good boy he is" in a sweet babyvoice/ While they don't look like they appreciate it at times, all cats love praise and sweet talk.

P.S. if you can't get a urine sample talk to your vet about getting one for you. He may need to stay at the vets for a day and when he has a full bladder, the vet can use a needle to get one. It's not as bad as it sounds.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well right now the biggest thing I'm trying to do is keep the vet bill down. I don't have alot of money, so I'm trying to do the best for him that I can without spending very much. If I have to take him in, it's $25 just to walk in the door and have the vet look at him, and $30/night if he stays over night, and I really can't afford that. He's been really good about using the litter box. He won't go if the litter box is dirty, so I bought a littermaid for him about a year ago and he hasn't had any accidents since-until now! I'm hoping it's something medical that can easily be fixed, but I worry that it's a behavioral problem which will take alot more time to correct, and my mom is running out of patience fast!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Once you've ruled out a physical problem by urinalysis (although please be aware that this is *not* a 100% accurate test; there can still be underlying inflammation causing discomfort without any signs in the urine). Making sure he's on a problem-minimizing diet may make a big difference. But if all that is ruled out, then you're left with the behavioral causes. Stress, boredom, inactivity, all can contribute. Living in one room for a year may make him a little "stir-crazy" and even though that's the best thing for him for now, he can't really understand that. He probably wants to be part of the family, and doesn't feel that he is.

Have a look in our free article library at the articles on nutrition and Litterbox problems, as well as the article on play therapy. If this is behavioral, giving him regular play therapy may do wonders for him.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library. It's also a hoot for you--a great stress reliever all the way around!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I gave up and took him to the vet yesterday. They where going to keep him over night and try to get him to express his bladder on his own. If not, they're going to try other methods today to get a urine sample, so I should know by this evening what's going on with him. I'll talk to my vet and see if he feels a change in diet will help. He's got a sensitive stomach, so I'm a bit leary about changing foods on him. He's been eating Natural Balance reduced calorie for about 4 or 5 months now, and he's been doing so well on it that I really hate to change it again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
well i guess i'm to late but theres a vet here in ogden you could've tried to apply for a care credit card they gave me $2500 and i have crappy credit. Good luck with skylar!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What vet is that? Since I'm a loyal customer and my vet knows I'm good about paying my bills of just as soon as I can, he allows me some credit, but he also charges me interest if I can't pay it off within a month. Actually this bill will be on credit for now, because I just don't have the money to pay it right now. Thank heavens he offers me that, or I don't know what I would have done. I'm still interested in the other vet in North Odgen, though, just in case I ever have to have anything more expensive done. My vet only allows me a couple hundred dollars worth of credit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Its called the ogden animal hospital with vet steve lemmon, its on 2nd street.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts