Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anna, my 10 month old is the most skittish out of the two. She's scared of new people/locations and loud noises. She has this habit of sleeping/ hiding in places that can hurt her bad. She doesn't do it during the day much, only when we are out or at night while we are sleeping. Her favourite place now is to sleep in the tv stand, in a tiny little area where the speakers/ tv box is. She sleeps behind the tv box in the wires. It gets extremely hot in there and the other day I used a squirt bottle to get her out not realizing she was tangled in the wires and almost strangled herself. This is a big concern because if she does this when we are not home she can kill herself. I wondered if anyone had suggestions as how to keep her out/deter her from going in. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Try to make as many inaccessible as you can, tie up cords or tape them down. Yeah we know cats can fit in the smallest places... I think it sounds like she likes small sheltered spots. look into getting some kitty cubes with the small openings, or leaving out a few boxes or carriers in various rooms with a towel or cloth mostly covering the openings. In the areas you don't want her in set up some "Ssscat!". it will puff air at her when she gets close and deter her from those areas without you having to be present.

If she likes to climb maybe a cat tree with an enclosed sleeping box.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Yes BotanyBlack has good suggestions. Cap'n Jack was and in some ways still is, a skittish guy. When I first had him, I got an enclosed plush 'cat cave'. Anytime something caused him concern, he'd dive in there and hide.

If you're tight on money, any small box would do. Miu loves to play and hide in merchandise boxes. I just cleared out some junk recently and gave her my PS3 box. Ripped off the top and laid it down. She was in there within seconds.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try to make as many inaccessible as you can, tie up cords or tape them down. Yeah we know cats can fit in the smallest places... I think it sounds like she likes small sheltered spots. look into getting some kitty cubes with the small openings, or leaving out a few boxes or carriers in various rooms with a towel or cloth mostly covering the openings. In the areas you don't want her in set up some "Ssscat!". it will puff air at her when she gets close and deter her from those areas without you having to be present.

If she likes to climb maybe a cat tree with an enclosed sleeping box.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into that ssscat!. Never heard of it. Other than that, they have a cat tree with a box and a smaller condo with a small box. I also have two small carries set up around as well. She mostly stays on the top tier of the cat tree but will hide in the cat tree box when I vacuum or a loud noise scares her. I put a bunch of DVDs where the space is so hopefully this makes it more difficult for the time being.

She also has a habit of jumping on the stove elements. She hasn't done it when I was cooking yet but there were a few times when she was about to. Silly cat.

·
Registered
714 Posts
wind up the wires and secure them with a twist tie, so they are not so loose and she ill be less likely to get tangled, in case you can't deter her from going back there. I do this with all my wires to make them less tempting to chew.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cats are attracted to the warmth (as well as other things). I'm concerned you used a water bottle to spray her as I assume the wires were plugged in to an outlet. At ten months she might still be tempted to chew/bite down on the occasional wire and put a hole in it thus giving the water a way in and electrocute one or both of you. I would consider luring her out with food in that situation as removal would then be much more controlled. GL B

·
Registered
248 Posts
my black bombay female, 11 months old,,,,has a thing with the back of the frig,,,,she will go along the side of it and the wall, and do her darnest to get in the back of it for some reason......also.,both cats want to get into the cuppard under the sink,,,i had roach poinsion in there, and had to remove it.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.