Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Toby wakes he does scratch the carpet where ever he may be at the time. It seems more of a stretching scratch and this is probably what most of your cats do.

I have several scratching posts/surfaces around the house and so far Toby doesn't seem to have a problem or interest in scratching inappropriately, which is good since I have leather couches.

I'm guessing that as long as everything else seems good that there may not be much I can do about this waking/stretching/scratching thing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
YoTi does the same stretch scratch thingy when he wakes up, and then follows me knowing i wake from my zombie mode to feed my kittys immediatly. I keep a small scratching post in the kitchen and he goes to town on it when i feed him. It seems to be a daily thing ive done with him since i brought the kitten home two months ago.

I have been finding him scratching different spots on the carpet here in the condo, and have to call him and continue to bring him to his scratch post. We also have leather furniture, and he hasnt messed with it other than sleeping on it.. Just contine to try to train him and they pick stuff up pretty quickly.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
The first few weeks I had SHep he did that too! He'd stretch and kind of knead/scratch at the carpet. I would just PSST at him and clap my hands each time. (and made sure I'd praise him to the heavens when he used a real scratcher).

It seems to have stopped now.

·
Registered
365 Posts
CeCe too! Just when waking up - she doesn't seriously scratch, but she kneads and you can hear her claws hooking the carpet a little. No damage done, and she doesn't ever scratch anywhere she shouldn't the rest of the time. I think like us, they just like to stretch after a nap, and that includes flexing their claws. Plus it always looks like she's met "maximum" stretch (super long) when she does it, so I wonder if maybe it's used for leverage to stretch the rest of the body.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
hal1, I had a similar problem with Alkee after her morning stretch and scratch before her morning meal. She would go after a door match or a sofa. But one day I had a cardboard egg carton on the kitchen floor to go out for recycling, and she started scratching that instead. Now its her preferred scratching thing. She likes it if I have 3 stacked instead of 1 or 2. She stand on the top of it and really scratches it vigorously. Maybe Yoshi would like it too?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have the same problem with Milky. I've brought him to his scratching post time after time, but every morning when he wakes up, he'll scratch the rug anyway!! We're not concerned with him ruining it though as it seems to be indestructable but we just wish that he'd go to his scratching post instead!

We did have some issues with him scratching our fabric sofa before, but he seems to have completely stopped that now, thankfully!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts