Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miss M and Miss O remain very small compared to other cats. They are ~6 months old and weigh 4.6 and 4 pounds respectively. They had a rough start in life and I'm just wondering is it possible they are just small framed cats or did that rough start leave them stunted?

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Absolutely no way to know. As long as they are proportionate and continue to grow then they're probably healthy and on the right track.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I think they're just small framed cats, 4-5 for 6 month old cats isn't abnormal, Samantha my Maine **** weighed about 6 1/2 lbs at 6 months and she ended up topping out at a solid 17 lbs.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think they're just small framed cats, 4-5 for 6 month old cats isn't abnormal, Samantha my Maine **** weighed about 6 1/2 lbs at 6 months and she ended up topping out at a solid 17 lbs.
I find that reassuring. It's just that other cats their age seem to dwarf them. doodlebug, how long without growth is appropriate at this age? Both girls are the same weight they were at their spays.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
How long ago were they spayed? Typically cats will weight their age for the first 6 months (e.g. 4 lbs at 4 months, 5 lbs at 5 months)...but that's just a guideline...every cat is different. They also tend to grow in spurts...I've always noticed kittens to start eating voraciously, get a fat little belly and then all of a sudden sprout. If you haven't seen growth in 4-6 weeks, then I'd be concerned. Would monitor for another few weeks before going to the vet though.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
If they haven't gained anything at all since those dates, I'd be getting concerned, especially about Miss O...two months without any growth/weight gain for a kitten her age is concerning. I recommend getting a baby scale and weighing them weekly (and chart it). If you're not seeing any change over the next few weeks...definitely bring it up with the vet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts