Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in July, I was jogging about a half mile from my home and came across a very small cat sleeping in a ball on the grass alongside the sidewalk of a very busy road. I spoke to her, and she ignored me. I checked her out, and she was very thin and seemed to have little to no energy. Looked to be about 9-12 months old, about 4 or 5 lbs..

In subsequent days I went back to the spot to see if she was still there.. she was, walking around with a pretty bad limp on one of her back legs.

The houses in the area were formerly large single-family homes now broken up into apartments and used often by college kids.. I spoke to one such kid, and he said the cat was a stray that had shown up recently, limping. No one was taking care of it. The cat had no fear of people..

So for the next few weeks, I went everyday to bring the cat food and fresh water. There was a large front porch not being used by anyone that became her "base", and that's where I fed her.

I also inquired to my local no-kill SPCA for some help and to maybe take the cat in.. they know me and I've adopted pets from in the past.. they declined.

As the weeks passed, the cat's weight improved, as did her limp. It was still there sometimes I noticed, but it was slowly better.

But what I mainly noticed was that the cat was often lethargic, slow to respond to my presence or disinterested, and for lack of a better word, mad. Sometimes this was not the case, and she'd scamper right to me and meow eagerly.. but this was the exception. It was truly a good day, bad day type thing, with mostly bad.

We're now well into September, and I knew I had to do something with winter coming. We already have two cats in a very small house.. they're indoor-only, and basically a married couple. They really love each other, and I was hesitant to introduce this new cat into the situation.

But I picked her up, and took her straight to my vet for a check-up. She was checked for FIV and Felv, and the results said negative. They couldn't really find an issue with the leg, or any other major issue. She was treated for ear mites and vaccinated. They also gave me a wormer and flea meds, altho they didn't find evidence of either.

They shaved her belly a bit to try and determine if she'd been spayed.. the vet said there was a tiny bump where the incision may have been made, but she was inconclusive.

And I brought the cat home. She's been confined to a bedroom, which she took to immediately. She even used the litter box like a champ..

But again, the main issue? She seems to have no energy. She acts like a cat that's in pain, and just wants to be left alone to sleep. Just like when she was on the porch, she'll have flickers of life, and she'll even play a bit, but then this shadow comes over her quickly and she shuts down again, flicking her tail angrily. She's even hissed at me a couple times when I try to pet her, other times she seems happy for the attention.

Basically the only time she moves from her sleep spot is when I feed her, and when she's finished, she goes right back to it..

She seems slow to respond to things, and doesn't like to lift her head up. You can be flicking a feather toy over her head, and she'll just look straight-on. It reminds me of a neurological issue sometimes..

Anyway, I don't know what I'm going to do. Another visit to another vet to look more closely for a problem? I already spent a decent amount of $$ for her initial visit..

The only positive thing I can really say about her is that her appetite is very good. Otherwise, this cat has lots of issues, and I don't know what else I can do for her..

For a cat her age, and one that's been fed regularly now for a couple months and is at a pretty good weight, she should be a bundle of energy and curiosity..

She's anything but.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Poor kitty. Is there any way you can video the behavior for us? I also suggest doing this before going to another vet, to show them the issues she's having. Did you get blood work results? Those are important to have done. There's some members here that are good at analyzing them, so ask your vet for a copy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately a blood panel wasn't done.. her lethargy and behavior before I too her in I attributed to stress/exhaustion from living/sleeping outdoors, and I figured she'd improve quickly after she got here. She's now been in a bed for nearly a week and has shown no such improvement.

Obviously if I go again, blood work will be done, along with x-rays. Tho the limp seems completely gone now.

I'll see what I can do about a video.. thanks for the response!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would take her back to the vet. Otherwise, it sounds like you are already doing everything you can. Just be patient. I just adopted a third kitty myself, who was a stray as well, and is dealing with a bunch of health issues - so I understand where you are.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, uploaded a short video. Nothing particularly exciting or revealing about it.. looks like I just woke her up, right? Only that she's like this all the time, and never moves from the spot until I feed her, then goes right back..

new kitty - YouTube

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Wow, she's beautiful! And I love how she responds to your touch.

I know you can't help feeling there is something 'off' with her, but poor kitty has been through so much. I would not rule out depression if she was abandoned. Thank you for taking her in and giving her a chance at a real life. Time and patience may be all she needs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for taking her in and giving her a chance at a real life. Time and patience may be all she needs.
I appreciate the sentiment, it means a lot.. most of the people I've told the story to roll their eyes and tell me things like, "you should've just let nature take its course", or "you can't save them all".

Not trying to save them all, just the ones I almost trip over.. :wink:

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have a black and white kitty too, but she's not nearly as nice as this one! Ignore the people who don't appreciate you taking her in... because I'm sure she does!! I wonder if maybe she's anemic... that can definitely cause lethargy. If so, the blood panel people have suggested would show it. Is she a polydactyl? I couldn't be sure from the video but her front paw looks like it might have an extra toe? I looooove polydactyls :-D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Her name is Jenny, and I don't think she's a poly.. at least, not that I noticed, I'll have to look again!

Her new sister is tho, and also a black and white. I love them too, and try and champion black and tuxedo cats whenever I can, since they have such a hard time getting adopted from shelters..

She has yet to "meet" my other two cats, which should be.. interesting. The aforementioned sister is a big, confident, outrageous girl.. sure to be overwhelming for Jenny.. when the time comes..

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
So you've had her now for 2mos or so? She should be recovered by now as she looks well fed and seems to be very sweet natured. It's possible that she was hit by a car that caused her limp and possibly suffered some head trauma as well....a wild guess, but you'll never know. Her moods of being sweet and angry could be part of that, or she may still be feeling pain. She may improve gradually or may not. Does she respond to interactive games, with a fishing pole type of toy like "Da Bird". Many cats can't resist this one. If she doesn't, I would suspect she has some head damage. Another vet visit to check out blood work is a good idea. If she doesn't improve in a year, it may be that's how she's going to be. Good luck, and thanks for taking in this sweet girl.

·
Registered
804 Posts
black kitties

Her name is Jenny, and I don't think she's a poly.. at least, not that I noticed, I'll have to look again!

Her new sister is tho, and also a black and white. I love them too, and try and champion black and tuxedo cats whenever I can, since they have such a hard time getting adopted from shelters..

She has yet to "meet" my other two cats, which should be.. interesting. The aforementioned sister is a big, confident, outrageous girl.. sure to be overwhelming for Jenny.. when the time comes..

I have both a black cat and a tuxedo cat :) It's ridiculous that people think anything is wrong with an animal just because it's black! My tuxedo female I have is not very nice, but that's not because of her coloring and my black male kitty is sweet as pie! It's great that you took in this little girl, because unfortunately she probably would not have had good luck in a shelter, and she was not having good luck on the streets.

74 Posts
Well lets just be honest here about female cats... I have yet to meet one that wasnt hot and cold with the flip of a switch... Freckles can be the sweetest ever... All up in my space dying for attention then outta no where nab me cuz I "pet her wrong"! Is there any chance this cat is waaaay older than you think? Ive met plenty of active seniors but that could be a reason its taking her so long to recover... Being homeless is exhausting! I know from experience! It's been more than 2 years since I was homeless and Im still exhausted... I dont like to leave the house for ANYTHING anymore and Im only 25, shouldnt I be out partying or something? And isn't a 3 year old cat the same as a 25 year old human? So she doesnt even have to be a senior to be taking longer than "normal". Im not saying skimp on another vet check just pointing out a possibility no one else did...

·
Registered
238 Posts
She could be depressed. I'm sure living on the streets wasn't easy for her. Like hoofmaiden said she was probably stressed and harassed by dogs, cats and some people. Give her a few more days and maybe once she realizes she's safe, she'll liven up. Thank you so much for taking her in.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Nothing to add that could help (the depression hypothesis was my first guess, since my tuxedo kitty spent 2 months behaving just like that after we lost our girl cat Sun -he eventually came back to his happy self) just want to say you're a great person.
Good luck with everything, and Don Gatito my tuxedo says hi and sends purrs for Jenny's recovery. :blackcat :catsm

·
Registered
52 Posts
Okay, uploaded a short video. Nothing particularly exciting or revealing about it.. looks like I just woke her up, right? Only that she's like this all the time, and never moves from the spot until I feed her, then goes right back..

new kitty - YouTube
wow she is pretty.she is lucky you found her. have you checked her mouth for broken teeth/or sore gums? i noticed she is doing an awful lot of licking.im not a professional but something could be wrong with her teeth.does she aet ok when you feed her?

·
Registered
415 Posts
She's so cute, and she certainly is tiny, isn't she? Our cat got out and was on the streets for a week, then showed back up on our doorstep crying to beat all, then shejust wanted to eat and sleep for a week after that. I think maybe she is just exhausted and depressed, was injured somehow, and is still trying to recover. My female cat is like someone described above, moody, one minute she wants nothing to do with me, next minute she is in my face demanding attention, a minute after that she's looking at me like I forced her to stand still and let me pet her, and she's running for cover. Pretty typical if you ask me.

Our male cat is alternately hyper and lazy. When he wants to play, there is no stopping him. He bounces around knocking things everywhere, but when he wants to sleep you can't wake him up. Well I guess he's technically awake, his eyes are open.... halfway... but he nods off and tunes you out no matter what you do. I don't bug him but my husband likes to try to wake him up during the day, returning the favor for the herd of elephants immitation at 3am.

I agree that bloodwork is a good idea but I wouldn't be surprised if nothing is really "wrong" with her.

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
Well lets just be honest here about female cats... I have yet to meet one that wasnt hot and cold with the flip of a switch...
Wow, that's quite a generalization. I think the same could be said about all cats. If you pay attention to their body language, you can usually tell when they've had enough of you.

Maybe I just don't have moody cats.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts