Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:x Hi there - my partner and I recently got an adult female kitty from our local SPCA - she was spayed about 2-5 days prior to us adoptiong her. She's been fine thus far except for one problem - her poop smells absolutely awful. I've had several cats in my life and their poop smelled bad - but nothing like this. It's a very overpowering 'chemical' odor, not like regular cat poop at all. She seem to be in fine shape physically. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Perhaps we should change her diet?

Thank you!

Apologies for the juvenile use of the word 'poop' but I thought 'feces' sounded so clinical :)

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Well first I would get her checked out by a vet. The chemical smell doesn't sound normal! If there is nothing physically wrong with her then the next step is to change her food. As you may know, Friskies and Meow mix are of very poor quality. Since there are not very good ingredients in them, this causes stinky poop. There have been lots of discussions about what makes up a good catfood, you can try the search option and you will come up with A LOT of results. Hey, you can't blame us for loving our cats :lol: !

Here is a good article by drjean, a vet that frequents this forum.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=004

·
Registered
8 Posts
use a fragrant variety of litter and put some acidophilus in her food. It will detoxify the cat's metabolism. You can get acidophillus in tablet, just crush it up and sprinkle it in.

Another option, if the kitten is tame enough to handle it, I would advise getting some substitute mother's milk and crushing it up with some brown rice then feed it to her with an eyedropper. Make sure it's a fluid mixture, not sticky so it clumps. The gruel will help her digestive system.

I am not a doctor but these remedies have worked for all kittens i have raised. They all have normal bowel movements and grow up to be robust and healthy animals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts