Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my kittens got fixed today, and basically as soon as I let them out of their carriers Smokey began trying to mount Daisy. He's never done this before, so it's brand new behavior. Any idea why this would happen immediately after the fix? Right now they're separated, with Smokey in the bathroom. I can't keep them separated the whole time, as the bathroom is too small, and it's not fair for Daisy to have the whole living room, or vice versa. What the heck do I do?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It's probably a good idea to keep them confined to a small space immediately after surgery just so they don't hurt themselves. Sedatives and anesthetics affect everyone differently, so maybe it's just the drugs that caused Smokey to behave like that? It could also be stress, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Hopefully he's back to his usual self once he's drug-free. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do I do until I can snag a couple dog crates? If I leave him or her in the bathroom they'll tear it up and cost me a fortune, but if I put them together he tries to rape her. I'm kind of at a loss here!

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
How can he tear up a bathroom?? There is nothing destructible in there. Baby gates would work. I found all of mine at thrift stores for only a few dollars each. You really need to keep them apart for a few days.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How can he tear up a bathroom?? There is nothing destructible in there. Baby gates would work. I found all of mine at thrift stores for only a few dollars each. You really need to keep them apart for a few days.
The doors and the floor. Baby gates definitely do NOT work, as they can very easily get over them. For right now they're separated, Smokey in the hall closet and Daisy in the bathroom, but I feel terrible for them sitting in the dark all day.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I've never had kittens get hyper like that. They usually are very mellow. I've had a couple seem very agitated, but like I said, it affects everyone differently. Have they settled down at all? The meds should have worn off within 12 hours.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Do you have feliway to calm them?
It takes several weeks for the hormones to leave their bodies...it is not instant.
I'm glad you are keeping an eye on them.
Can you play with them...if you tire them out with play, they will sleep longer and stay apart. You can keep them in separate rooms while they recover and play, play, play.
I am so sorry you are dealing with this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never had kittens get hyper like that. They usually are very mellow. I've had a couple seem very agitated, but like I said, it affects everyone differently. Have they settled down at all? The meds should have worn off within 12 hours.
I think it might be the pain injection they were given, which lasts 3 days. Thet have melloweed out and right now are relaxing in the same room (with the SO and I of course). One of the apparent side effects is being over affectionate, and they certainly have been with us, so I'm thinking they are with eachother as well. Nothing negative thankfully.

wallycat; said:
Do you have feliway to calm them?
It takes several weeks for the hormones to leave their bodies...it is not instant.
I'm glad you are keeping an eye on them.
Can you play with them...if you tire them out with play, they will sleep longer and stay apart. You can keep them in separate rooms while they recover and play, play, play.
I am so sorry you are dealing with this
Don't have any feliway. The spay/neuter + microchip + Yesterday's News litter PLUS having to register my car and pay rent with this one check has left me pretty broke, so I have no money to spend on things like Feliway. I've been trying to play with them separately, and let them play GENTLY with eachother. Luckily the humping has stopped and they are not touching or bothering eachothers incision sites. When we're not home, or we're asleep one is in the closet and one is in the bathroom, and if they start getting rowdy we separate them. But hopefully it calms down a bit because I don't know if I can deal with this craziness for 9 more days! :eek:rcat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts