Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this morning that smudge hadn't eaten any of his breakfast, it was put out for him at about 8am. He didn't seem bothered, so I left it there.

Now, at about 4pm, I've just put out some fresh food for him (he gets 50g of Bozita canned + 12g of applaws dry, 3 times a day) and again he's just not interested.

Could he just not be feeling hungry today or should I be worried? He has pooped this morning and is playing with me happily. No whining or crying.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Some cats may go off their food for a day (mine never do but Devons are know to be "food hounds"). I would be concerned if he hasn't eaten anything by the next day and you should have him checked by a vet. Does he have access to any other food? a dog's? or is someone giving him tidbits off their plate? The fact that he's playing with you and has pooped is all good.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks catloverami. This may sound stupid, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's his food dishes. My mum recently bought him new ones as his previous ones were a bit chipped. I managed to get him to eat some out of a different bowl earlier, and he's eating things off of a plastic fork if I offer it - but not out of his bowl? It's really unlike him.

I guess another reason could be that he's teething and his mouth is sore?? He's 6 months old.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Could be the bowl ... My Wee Lisbeth is VERY particular about her food dishes. It has to be very low sided - plate rather than bowl or it's "NOPE! Can't possibly eat out of that .... I mean to say - my whiskers are TOUCHING that bowl ...... HELLO????"

Also could be his mouth is sore.....

I'd offer him little and often and see how he goes. You could also try a sprinkle of finely grated parmesan or some Bonito flakes aka Cat Man Do Bonito flakes to stink up the food and make it more enticing whilst his appetite is low.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well he seems to be eating better today :)

I've noticed that he's leaving his dry stuff a bit more than he usually would - and he's really been enjoying the applaws stuff - so I'm wondering if it maybe is that he's teething. I'm giving him plenty of toys to chew on just incase, I'm just happy he's eating! :)

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I have no idea what kind of bowls your mum bought. IF they are plastic they could have a particular "smell" that is very off putting to your cat.
Even if it is ceramic or stainless letting the bowls soak a little bit, in your dishwashing liquid, to get rid fo any unfamiliar smells... always a good idea.

As pkbshrew said the bowl itself can be an issue. If it is too deep, or if it is uneven and moves when eating, or if the movement makes an annoying noise in a stand, if they have to chase the bowl because it won't stay still, etc. Cats can be funny about the weirdest things sometimes. lol

Usually if they are teething they are inclined to chew but maybe he wants a soft chew as opposed to a hard crunch LOL
If he loves his Applaws, he'll go back to it.
I'm glad her's eating his wet food at least! That is always a good sign, and it sounds like it could very well be the bowls if he was eating off a fork!

Good luck :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts