Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago, I was sitting at my computer and in came Muffs carrying something in her mouth. I looked and was horrified to discover it was a snake, although it wasn’t very big…about 8 inches in length and about a quarter inch in diameter. She deposited the darn thing at my feet! Fortunately, the snake didn’t like me anymore than I liked it, and it immediately went underneath the coffee table. Well, now what to do?

I went into the kitchen and looked about. What do I have that could be used to catch a snake? Aha…Salad spoons! So, I got the salad spoons and a Tupperware container and waited for the snake to emerge from underneath the coffee table, which it eventually did. I grabbed it with the salad spoons, plopped it in the container and then threw it outside. Quite satisfied with myself, I sat back down at my computer.

No more than five minutes later, along came Muffs…with another snake! I screamed. She dropped the snake and ran. Where on earth are all these snakes coming from? I can’t imagine the same snake managed to make its way back into the house so quickly. So, again with the salad spoons, although this snake (or the same snake, now wiser) grabbed onto the salad spoons and wouldn’t let go. So, I threw the snake along with the salad spoons outside, lock, stock and barrel. I hope that is the end of snakes. I do declare I’m going to be dreaming about snakes. I HATE snakes. And I now need to buy new salad spoons…

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
LMAO!
And that is why Joy will remain an indoor CAT!!! Even at this young age she is showing quite the hunting skills... lord knows what she would catch!!! Thanks for the laugh Susan :)

·
Super Moderator
26,538 Posts
I would be freaking out big time!!!!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Ohmygosh. I am terrified of snakes and spiders. I would have grabbed the cat and hid in the bathtub.

I'm such a little girl when it comes to these things.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, no dreams about snakes last night, or none that I remember. Still, I couldn't stop myself from checking under the bed and inside the sheets before I got into bed last night, making sure the coast was clear. :?

I went on google last night and determined this was a Northern Ring-Neck snake, not poisoness and allegedly harmless. Still, I just don't like the thought of snakes. I was also not happy to read that they tend to live in groups. Yikes! I think I will call the pest control people today.

I know my mother will laugh when I tell her about this today. When I was a young girl, many years ago, my brother and I used to go to a local park to hunt for snakes...and we would bring them home, much to my poor mother's horror. She will say justice has now been served!

·
Registered
506 Posts
"Way to go Muffs"! I wish we had her with us on "snake patrol" back in War Zone C, in 1966, when they would fall out of the trees on our tanks! :D

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geri: I believe they did come from the basement, although I've yet to figure out where, and 95% of my basement is finished. After disposing of the second snake last night, I went to see where Muffs was. I found her in the basement, calmly sitting in the middle of the rec room, with no snakes in sight (thankfully). So, the source remains a mystery to me.

Goldtanker: In 1966, you could have used my brother and me, since that was when we were catching snakes and terrifying our poor mother!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a sump pump, or a drain to the outside? I bet they came in from there.
Good thought! Yes, I do have a sump pump and there's a small open space of about 3-4 inches. I rest something on top of it so the cats don't try to mess with it, although it's hardly airtight and a snake could easily wiggle through. I will have to see if I can get a better cover.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Something with a screen. That's what we have on ours too. Anything small can get through any kind of crack really. At least they weren't dangerous snakes! Silly kitties!

·
Registered
121 Posts
One of my cats captured and brought in a snake & dropped it in a very deep empty box in the basement. I found it probably months later when I went in the basement, without my glasses, and picked up what appeared to be a stick from a tree. It was about 18 inches long. I realized it was a 'petrified' snake when I saw two beady eyes lookin' back at me!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A "petrified" snake? It would have been a petrified Susan, had that happened to me. I believe you would have heard me scream all the way from Ontario to Indiana!

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Maybe Muffs wants a little scaly companion! Sounds like Garters. Not sure, though- don't take any chances! Do you HAVE poisonous snakes in Ontario? I remember at summer camp we had a scavenger hunt and 1 of the items to bring in was a live critter! Someone brought in a LITTLE garter snake,and one of the counselors who was deathly afraid of snakes,freaked! I captured a toad in my soap box,showed to some counselors-'AIEEEEEEE!!!!!!'
Anyway,it sounds like Muffs is quite the little hunter! did you thank her for the housewarming gift?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Pure nosiness - what sort of snake? We only have a few kinds over here and the only poisonous one isn't keen on indoors!!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pure nosiness - what sort of snake? We only have a few kinds over here and the only poisonous one isn't keen on indoors!!
They were Northern Ring-Neck snakes, not poisonous. When they're frightened they bite, although apparently their bite has never been known to pierce human skin. So, they're totally harmless. They were about the thinkness of a pencil and looked like a fat, grey shoelace! Still, just the thought of a snake sends me off the deep end.

Maybe Muffs wants a little scaly companion! Sounds like Garters. Not sure, though- don't take any chances! Do you HAVE poisonous snakes in Ontario? I remember at summer camp we had a scavenger hunt and 1 of the items to bring in was a live critter! Someone brought in a LITTLE garter snake,and one of the counselors who was deathly afraid of snakes,freaked! I captured a toad in my soap box,showed to some counselors-'AIEEEEEEE!!!!!!'
Anyway,it sounds like Muffs is quite the little hunter! did you thank her for the housewarming gift?
Ontario is home to one kind of rattlesnake, which is poisonous, but I think that's our only poisonous snake. And the little guys that Muffs brought were clearly not rattlers...thank goodness. As for a thanks for the housewarming gift, absolutely not. I screamed and scared poor Muffs half to death, which was perhaps a good thing if it deters her from bringing me any more presents. As an aside, Muffs always plays for a while after I go to bed, and she then hops on my bed about a half hour later. For the last few nights, each time she hops on my bed, I turn on the light to make darn sure she isn't bringing any more presents! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts