Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it started out just being Magic who was sick, he's on antibiotics and eye drops. Now Maleke is sneezing twice as hard as Magic ever did....and he sneezes like 4 times in a row. Can sneezing this hard hurt them? I have put Maleke on Magic's antibiotics too, since I know they have the same thing. The vet gave Magic too many by accident....so it conveniently works out fine. Magic has only had 4 and he's doing much better. I hate seeing my cats this way....I hope that this kind of sneezing won't hurt them in any way.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Did they give you twice as many antibiotics as you were supposed to get? Because if they didn't, you will need to get more if you are giving them to both cats. In order to COMPLETELY get rid of a bacterial infection you must take the COMPLETE round of antibiotics. Otherwise, you may kill off all the bacteria except for the resistant ones - meaning those hard to treat bugs remain in their system. This is problematic because they can cause an antibiotic resistant infection at some other time if the animal becomes immunocomprimised. The same thing goes for humans, always finish ALL of your antibiotics! (Sorry if you already know this, but it is important to me :wink: ).

As for sneezing, I doubt it will cause damage. My sneezes are always super loud and hard and I get several in a row. No damage done (I think :lol: ).

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to the vet to get more antibiotics so that I have enough for both of them.

The reason I'm worried about his sneezing, is because he will sneeze and then he will try to meow but it will sound SO pathetic and almost painful. It's really weird. I feel SO bad for him.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update.....

Maleke FINALLY seems to be better. He is definately sneezing less today and he seems to have more energy. Magic is totally back to normal. I was so worried about them, I'm glad they made it through that!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah...make sure you do the antibiotics correctly. About 6 years ago, one of our cats caught a bacterial infection in her sinuses. LONG story short, it spread all over her body. By the time we got a 'real' vet to look at her, her kidneys and liver were shutting down. She spent 10 days in an incubator at the vet's. She's OK now...but the infection did permenant damage to her sinuses. She's got a constant case on *minor* sniffles. No big thing. But if we had understood what was going on, and had gotten antibiotics into her sooner, all of the really nasty stuff would have been avoided.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts