Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my cat has diabetes and has lost some ability to move his legs correctly due to losing some nerve functiob (he can't jump very well and his legs do a little wobbly motions when he stands and walks)and he's been grooming himself a lot in the hind legs and rear end and when his doing it he makes snorting noises occasionally and it kinda sounds like a mix between a snort and a wheeze and I'm worried he might be biting himself while he's grooming does anyone have any advice?

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
I'm not telling you not to worry, but my Cleo snorts when she grooms herself. She overgrooms and I'm not sure why but it's not always and not constant. She just does.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
My old "Zuba" (15+yrs.) snort-grunts some times when he's grooming himself. I don't remember him doing it as a young cat. But his overgrooming started when we had some house renovations done---2 bathrooms and a rec room, and all the noise that goes with it--drilling, hammering, banging, etc. really got to him. When the renovations were completed he continued the overgrooming and it's been a habit with him ever since which has resulted in a suede-like coat with very little waves. He also wants to overgroom "Fitty", who now has a bald spot on his head and under his neck, and one of his flanks his hair is getting thin. :oops:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do believe that this actually might be a bit of fat-age related. When it gets down to grooming it actually takes a pressure on his belly somehow and I bet this is causing it as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts