Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's begun to snow here, and there's a small layer of it on my balcony. It's actively snowing right now and I let my teenager kittens out to see if they wanted to check it out... they loved it! They could only stay out for some minutes before running back in to bundle up by the heater but it was so cute, they were jumping around and pawing at the snow. Little cat prints all over my balcony!

Do your cats like snow?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I don't know if my girls like snow, but I'm curious to find out. I didn't let them outside last year (their first winter). But, this year, I have a small enclosure on my back deck that they like to go out into. There are at least 30 trees with 30 or 40 feet of my back deck, so I'm blessed with mountains of leaves every fall. Thus far, they have been absolutely mesmerized by all of the falling leaves. I'm waiting to see how they react when snow arrives on the scene. I'm sure their little noses will be busy sniffing. No doubt it won't be long before I find out!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
My ex husband's cat LOVED snow. We would take him out in the backyard on a leash. We would have to shovel paths (and then a space) for the dog to potty and the cat would walk on the shoveled path.

He would stand up and bunny hop into the snow and then tear a** out of it shaking the snow off his coat. Then a second later he'd be back in it again. A few times we dropped the leash handle and he would chase the dog like crazy through the snow and they'd both run back to the house to warm up. He was hilarious.

MowMow goes out on the balcony in the snow and sniffs around but he looks more offended by it. Shakes it off his paws and would rather sit inside by the heater and watch it from the window. Last winter was the first we had any real snow and my SO has never been out of the Southwest. It was his first snowfall. The two of them spent hours staring out the window watching.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Both my cats are kinda like MowMow's post.

Freya can barely pee outside before being done with it and running back in side as fast as possible.

Jack pesters me to go out every 20 mins or so, run's out into the snow barrels through it at what looks to be 80+ mph lol and then suddenly just stops, it is like he suddenly get's cold and no matter where he is you can guarantee he will be in the house before you know it or at the screen door begging.

I've only let him out twice, with his crystals issue and his weird breathing i did not want him to risk pneumonia or anything like that, it was only like 18f out.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Paizly's never been out in the snow... I rescued her in August (of 2001) and she's always been indoor. AND! I shut off the part of the house with the patio door in the winter, so I'm not sure if she's even SEEN snow! (my bedroom has a tiny window up in the corner, but it's a window well and she pays no attention to it.)
Nebbie might have been in snow with her other family, but I don't know. Since living with me, she's indoor only... and also gets shut off from the view in the winter.

My ex-husband's cat, who I'm taking care of for a while, doesn't much like it. She goes out to potty, and wants right back in again. I'm not even supposed to have her inside, but it's been below freezing all week...and I feel sorry for her!
I do have an insulated box/house made for her, with straw bedding... but she's spoiled and just sits by the door meowing to be let in, rather than going in her place - and of course, I eventually give in..especially if the temp is under 40F/4c

The ferals, of course, have no choice but to use their boxes (well, I guess they have a choice... there's probably little spots out in the thicket, but I doubt they're as well insulated). I was kind of hoping the two kittens I had inside for a month while they recovered from URI & spaying would stay tame enough to come back inside at night... but they won't even come near the patio now. SIGH
They don't go out much, though. I see paw prints around the feeding station, but not out in the rest of the yard anymore. The next door neighbor just got a big dog last month, so I doubt they're in that yard either. And the other neighbor has roosters... BIG SCARY ROOSTERS! At first, when I could only hear the roosters, I thought the cats might get at them....until the roosters came in our yard, and I realized they're HUGE (and kind of mean.. they went to peck at my dad's feet a couple times!)

I personally despise winter. If the temperature drops below 65F/18c I'm miserable. Snow is evil. You people that go skiing, snowboarding, ice-fishing, etc... you're insane! LOL

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I just got back from feeding the ferals. It's snowing at the moment, and there's a nice fluffy layer on the ground (sooo pretty! But so cold!)
Disco doesn't seem to mind it too much. Zinny obviously doesn't like it, but will brave it for the sake of food...when she came out of the shelter, she put a paw out in the snow, shook her paw in disgust, but kept slinking out to the feeding station by taking a path with the least amount of snow cover just beside the bramble bushes.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Haha, I'm pretty sure my cat hates it. When it snows she's inside most of the time even though she could go outside whenever she wants (we have a cat door). I don't think she'd go out at all in snow unless she didn't have to go do her business out there. Plus, she's black. She likely doesn't get to do much blending in like she's used to at night.

The dog... that's a different story!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts