Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been a few weeks since I started the partial room isolation with Snowby, to improve her confidence and allow her to use the litterbox, so I thought I would report on how things are going.

They are going well, so well, too well, almost, that I am holding my breath,lest something bad happen. I was out of town for two days this week, and the cat sitter said Snowby knew the drill, ran up and down the stairs on command with her, just as she has now been doing with me the past 10 days. In fact, you could have knocked me over with a feather Wednesday. Blizzy was on the kitchen table, Snowby on the chair next to him, when I asked Snowby if she wanted to go upstairs. She looked at Blizzy, looked at me, ran under the table and out the other side and led me up the stairs. She NEVER would have done that at any time the past year, until now.

She has become so confident, at times, now that she walks towards Blizzy in the bedroom when we are all up there, and I have to make sure she doesn't lunge towards him. The past two days she has come upstairs in the early morning, and yesterday all four of them found places on my bed for maybe the second time since I adopted them a year ago.

Tonight the guys were downstairs and I came upstairs to use the computer, only to find Snowby had sneaked up on her own and was in Blizzy's room, sniffing his bed! In fact, feline psychologists, Blizzy in particular has this compulsive need to go sit and sniff at wherever Snowby has been, as soon as she vacates an area. Snowby, in turn, has sniffed Blizzy's back a few times. And now his bed, for the first time, as far as I know. And at mealtimes, they are pawing at one another in the same benign manner as the others do. But I do wonder, is it part of the territorial/hierarchical dance they are doing that causes Blizzy to go sit wherever she has been, or is it just curiosity.

Lest we all think things are now perfect, sure enough, I left them alone just a bit too long just now, and Blizzy and Snowby just had a short stand-off. But nothing serious, I separated them with ease.

Snowby's in a great mood most of the time, and Blizzy is acting a little less aloof towards the other guys. The one real downer is that I came home form two days away to find a 40-pound, six-foot long bookshelf, the highest shelf in the family room, in the middle of the family room floor! Miraculously, it seems to have missed both the kitties and all the sculptures on the other shelves and floor. I have a pretty good idea what happened, too, since once before Blizzy was chasing Hersh, Hersh ran up to the end of that bookshelf, and when Blizzy came after him, he sprang off, the force lifting the far end of the bookshelf enough that it slid off its brackets on a diagonal. I had repositioned the bookcase to try to eliminate that fulcrum effect, but I suspect B&H had another chasing match while I was gone.

So now I have to worry about Blizzy and Hersh as much as Snowby and Blizzy! But that's a story for another day. Snowby is as active and happy in the house as she has ever been, that's the headline for today!

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
What a great update!! I'm so happy for all of you!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts