Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well so much for a slow introduction!
Biscuit decided he was on the FAST track!
He just sauntered right on out of his room, walked up to both dogs and said "hello" then proceeded to say "hi" to everyone else!! AND...there were NO hissy fits...
Unbelievable!!! :rolleyes::D

NOW...On a different note...
I've got a sneeking suspicion,
that Snowflake is deaf...:(
Sigh...Classic white cat, blue eyes...
And if so, there is no way in hades, that she is going anywhere...

What I could really use, is some insight on how to make a deaf cats life better...
Any special things I need to know??
All insights appreciated!!

The vet 'guestimated' she's around 4 or 5 years old...
Thanks!
Sharon

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I don't know much about normal cats... but I don't think Munch is any different, really. I don't waste my money on noisy toys, but other than that he's perfectly normal lol. I do use hand signals with him for tricks and no and such, tho, so I guess that's different. And I play "find the kitty" when I come home from work, but he sticks close to me when I'm home :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DD&C, does Munch make a lot of eye contact with you?
Snowflake seems to "Feel" vibrations through the floor, if that makes sense to you...
Does Munch still meow and all that stuff?
Snowflake has got a very dainty meow...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Hahahahahaha *breath* Hahahahahaha does Munch meow Hahahahahaha. .. ok sorry, I'm done

Yes. He is the noisiest friggin' cat! He talks, yells, screams, and yowls. He even asks questions (cutest little prrmmm? Ever! ) all the flippin' time!

Yes he watches the dogs and I closely, makes eye contact with all of us... which is sometimes disconcerting for Oliver lol.

But you must realize, I'm so used to animals that cant hear, I forget what's *normal*

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL!! Thanks DD&C!! I needed a laugh!
Yeah...I'm just trying to figure out her
"Normal"!! ;):p

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks DD&C! Another Question for you!
Does a deaf cat have a harder time getting along with 'hearing' cats or can they 'read' the other cats body language?
If they were born deaf, they still would have learned body language...maybe??

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Look on the bright side! You can vacuum the living room without disturbing the cat!!!

:crazy

Congratulations, 9cats2dogs!!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
LOL, for REAL. Jem could hear a can open from a upstairs and come running. I'd have to show him the can of beans or whatever it was and let him sniff it to get him to settle down. :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Karina is deaf and I don't do anything extra to make her life enjoyable - she seems happy. She misses out on some treats because she doesn't hear me call the cats or doesn't hear the crinkle, but she is the one that is on a diet so I don't feel too bad. What she doesn't know...

She seems just as happy as my hearing cats - she is a bit older, so very happy to spend most of her time napping. She loves snuggling in bed with me and is pretty much glued to the bed if I'm in it. The other cats can startle her if they jump up unexpectedly and she will swat at them but as soon as she sees them she is fine and they don't seem to take offense, they just cuddle in. She plays with the other cats a bit, but not nearly as much as the rest. She also play with toys a bit but again, she's older and very happy to nap or find Gia or Aries and snuggle.

I foster cats, so she is exposed to a lot of new cats and has three permanent feline friends. She isn't as quick to befriend a new foster, but she also was a stray on a reserve with a bunch of other cats at one point, so she really doesn't seem bothered by new cats. She seems to speak 'cat' very well and has no issues with other kitties but that might be largely due to her past life.

She responds to vibrations really well so she doesn't seem to get startled too easily. I do sneak up on her when she is sleeping, but I pet her gently and she just opens her eyes and purrs - never any fear or aggression. She is a very chatty cat, she talks all the time when she is up and around me. She really isn't very different from my other cats. I don't think of her as different as all... well, I guess the fact that she is older and not as nutty as the other three makes her more 'different' than her not hearing (not sure if she is less playful because she can't hear, doesn't sound like it slows Munch down!).

I actually only thought about her being deaf just today - Orion is TERRIBLE about going on the counters and I have been getting so annoyed with him that I bought a Scraminal. The other cats have the decency to wait until I'm away or in bed to play on the counters, but he is an entitled brat and would jump up when I was prepping food (and meow angrily when I shooed him off!). Today, with the scraminal, he got caught 7 times going onto the counter and set off a LOUD alarm. 4 poor hearing kitties were terrified, Orion was like a 2 year old having a tantrum, giving the Scraminal the evil eye and meowing angrily at it, and Karina was happily napping downstairs. Normally I barely notice her deafness - it was just funny today when all self respecting cats were upstairs hiding, Orion was being beligerant as usual, and Karina was sleeping peacefully.

I'm sure Snowflake will fit in just fine! It took me a while to notice that Karina is deaf, she's that in tune with vibrations etc.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Snowflake is acting all lovey one minute and then hissing and growling the next...not sure what's up with that...
I am respectful of her space and only pet her when she has rubbed my hand first...I also know not to push it...
She is out and enjoys laying on the high side of our eating counter!
I don't know what she had to put up with before, but I can see she is going to be a slow work in progress to win her trust and for her to realize she's safe here.

Biscuit is just plain mellow!
He hasn't hissed at any of the other cats here, even tho' he's been hissed at a few times, by two of my 'diva' cats!
He politely just turns his head and ignores them!

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
I wish all cats came to us perfect, don't you. But alas, it's often not meant to be. She may have been abused or treated harshly for who knows what behavior. Try to narrow down when she reacts like this. Is it when she is in a certain room or when you are wearing clothing that may have a certain different scent on it? There may be no rhyme or reason to her actions; she just may need some time to level out her emotions. We've had Lacey a year and are still working on the nipping out of fear or frustration but it's getting so much better. I can almost totally trust her (and her me) - I call it the "sweet spot" in a relationship.

We have a cat at the shelter that is all lovey dovey in the cage but as soon as you open it she sounds like something from a horror movie. Needless to say it's a big turn off to anyone willing to glance her way. She will take ALOT of work. I'm sure under your expert care, Snowflake will come around to becoming a peaceful, well adjusted babydoll in no time.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts