Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and I'm so excited. I keep thinking to myself "wow, sherlock and sparrow will LOVE this and will climb all over it and have such fun with it!"

and of course, they don't go near it at all. instead, they focus their energy on the big box it came in. :D

anyway I can make them like the cat tree better? right now it's like they're scared of it or something.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I have no idea, but I'd like some tips myself. Addison won't really go near his new tree either. I covered it with catnip (literally, ever level) but so far he only explored the base. I've put him on one of the higher levels with lots of praise and petting but as soon as he got the tiniest opening he jumped right off.

He's been ignoring it ever since. I may cover it in carpet since it isn't very soft or cozy now, that may make him like it a little better.

If you think of anything that works, let me know!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'd try catnip and maybe place one of their familiar beds or blankets and maybe toys on it.
This is exact the reason I haven't invested in one yet...my luck all four would ignore it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'd try catnip and maybe place one of their familiar beds or blankets and maybe toys on it.
This is exact the reason I haven't invested in one yet...my luck all four would ignore it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think since it's new and doesn't have thier scent on it yet is why they avoid it. Sometimes my older cat won't play with his toys unless they've been laying around in the house for a few years - then suddenly he has all the interest in the world... weird huh? Catnip and praise should work... but I think giving them one of their favorite treats on one of the upper levels would make them happy as well...

·
Registered
562 Posts
I just recently got a new tree too. Dusty totally ignored it at first, so I rubbed it with catnip. When that didn't work, I took a really stinky t-shirt of mine and rubbed that on it. Then I placed a treat and toy on each level. By the next day, he LOVED it!! :roll:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Some cats prefer diffrent types of cat trees depending on the material. I have a few ideas that may help kitty get use to the tree and prehaps start using it. Try placing the cat tree somewhere in you home where it is clearly visible for your cats or somewhere they have previous scratch other objects, such as a coach etc...

you can also spray the cat tree with some catnip and place favorite toys on and around it, especially toys with strings. Drag the toy on the post and kitty will naturally claw at the tree in the hopes of catching the toy, when she does this, give her lots of praise...hope this helps!! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts