Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 3 cans at Petco that expired last month. It's an hour and half drive so I'd rather not have to return them. I called them and let them know so they could pull it off the shelves.

Given it's barely expired a month, would you still feed it? The cans aren't damaged or anything. I drink milk a few days past it's short expiration date and don't die. I'm thinking that this is probably still safe to feed.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I've eaten 5+ year old chicken noodle soup. I never listen to "expiry dates"... smells fine? Go for it.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
It should be fine...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Oh yeah, definitely. I've never known an expiration date on a consumer product to not be completely "idiot proof" - you know, taking into account that some people are going to use it far beyond a month anyway.

Plus being canned, there's no worry. The only thing I can think of is that the food might lose nutrients while on the shelf, but otherwise I doubt it will "go bad." Might not even lose nutrients anyway - that's just the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Well, technically, from reliable sources (friend's friend working in a food manufacturing factory), most food whether canned or vacuum packed, is still good for a further 6mths from expiration. 5yr over expiration is way too long, but you are still ok, Carmel, but I wouldn't take the chance as I have a weaker system, lol.

·
Registered
594 Posts
food that is properly canned, either human or pet, should not become 'bad' or dangerous to eat after the expiry date, but it will deteriorate in quality, such as vegetables become mushy, etc, and can lose nutrients over time as well. It should still be 'safe' to eat for a long time after the expiry date.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
There are some cans (in general, not only cat food) that just don't have expiration date. It's always like printing in the lable: "Good for 3 years, see manufature date on can". And I just can't find that mentioned date on the can...

So, to me, cans are like "last for evarrrrr"! And the expiration date is like "don't sue us if you eat past that date and get a sick stomach" :lol:

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts