Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kittens Sam and Stella, seen here when they were a bit younger,
... learned a new trick last night.

Apparently they're finally big enough to jump up on the counter on their own, last night was the first time they'd ever made it.

The issue is that since we thought the counter was safe we had about a pound of raw chicken breast thawing up there. They ate all of that and then, since we hadn't noticed right away, also ate their breakfast.

So my 2 kittens who each eat less than 1/4 lb of a raw diet each meal ate more like 3/4 lb for breakfast this morning. They're both sooo fat! I don't think they could be any more pleased with themselves but I just wanted to make sure that I shouldn't be worried. I assume they'll just poop a few extra times each but otherwise be fine?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Lol you learned that lesson the same way I did!

When Doran was about 6 month old he learned how to get on the counter. Since Jitzu has always been a terrible counter surfer there was no meat out...but he went straight for the sugar bowl. That was one hyper kitten!

They'll be just fine from their feast. But I would be very careful about where you thaw your meat from now on! We use the microwave. Just put the meat in and shut the door. Instant cat-proofing.

Previous methods that failed included: in the sink, in the sink in water, in the sink in water with a bowl on top, in a plastic container (which now has kitty-teeth-sized holes), in the cupboard (thanks for ruining that Jitzu...*sigh*). We have found that anything even remotely food-like must be behind a latching door. Including bags of rice, cereal, and pasta.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Yeah, I remember when Miu learned about the counter. Do you mind them being on the counter or do you want to deter them? After they learn, you have to figure out what you want then act on it. If you want them off, then start detering early before it becomes a habit.

I have to remind Miu constantly with a combo of commands, gestures and empty threats or splashes of water.

Sometimes I resign and let her crouch on the side to watch me wash dishes, but my mom is a strict disciplinarian who thinks I should deter her 100% off or else she won't know the diff. She looks so cute when she's crouching, looking attentively and cocking her head to focus that I can't resist. Sigh.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think I learned from years of being with dogs that any food you don't wanted eaten goes into the fridge or microwave. I thaw meat in the fridge 24hrs before I need it, by then its thawed and Spook can not get at it. I've also used the microwave, I just have to remind hubby there is something in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts