Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had friends over today for several hours and had the cats locked up for the first part. We got to talking about cats and they started saying all the stereotypes most people have about them.

*aloof

*lazy

*boring

*mean/spiteful

So at one point, they asked to meet my cats. So I let them out. Sully is shy, so he stayed under the bed, but Ninja and Thurston worked the room. They lap hopped, they entertained. They had my guests laughing out loud and down on the floor playing with them and having a great time. They were social, and fun and playful and inquisitive and friendly and loving and purrrrrfect! My friends were delighted by them. I think they at least somewhat understand now why I have 3 of them. None of these girls were pet people.

My boys aren't perfect, by ANY means, but they are wonderful pets and I'm so glad they were able to dispell some negative cat myths today.

Have your cats won any converts to the kitty dark side?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
That's great when you can show non cat folks that cats are awesome pets. I always have my bf watch My Cat from *** so he can appreciate my cats. Compared to some of the cats featured on that show, my babies look like angels. :angel

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good work kitties!! That is wonderful to hear! I guess I had a similar experience with my boyfriend's family last week. We all had dinner and Billy was making the rounds with his charming self. His sister has a two year old that loves Billy and Billy absolutely loves him right back. They follow each other around like pals. Bill is so understanding and gentle with him, it warms my heart to the core! But his sister and brother-in-law are seemingly incurable snots about cats. After all of the sweetness Billy displayed, he lifted his back leg to scratch his ear but before his paw could even make contact, she whisked in to grab her son that was sitting next to him and exclaimed that, OMG! It's going to spray my baby!!! I explained it doesn't work that way and what he was doing, but she INSISTED - knowing nothing about cats - that he was up to no good. :fust

It's not a conversion story, but I was just so impressed with him in spite of their snottiness!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Good work kittens! You ROCK!

Pinky has done a great deal for my fiance's dad. He is not a cat lover really, he kept making excuses around his wife so we didn't get one, like

*Siamese are mean. (Not true they are so nice and we all know that)

*Cats tear up furniture (NOT if you teach them not to)

*Cats scratch people to be mean. (I don't know what cats HE'S been around but well taken care of cats are nice as can be!)

Pinky, after I adopted her, changed his mind completely. He loves her and even says she's his girlfriend from time to time because she goes and lays with him. :) She's a terror right now though. I'm about to post a thread about it because I'm at my wit's end, but I love her anyways.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I'm so glad the boys were friendly and playful. It's so much nicer when they can be a part of things and can enjoy the company as much as you do!

Have your cats won any converts to the kitty dark side?
Yes, my SO. He likes animals but always thought of cats as outdoor pets. The first time he visited and met MowMow he fell in love. Now he has MowMow wallpaper on his computer and asks for pictures of him and looks forward to seeing him as much (if not more) than he does me when he visits. :p

·
Registered
245 Posts
That's so great! I've had a cat nearly my whole life - I can't imagine not having one, and I can't understand how people get these misconceptions about them. They make such great companions.

When I moved in with him my Dad was not a pet person AT ALL. But when my brother and I moved in with him, Sassy (who we'd had for 13 years) came with us. I think it took her about a week to have my Dad wrapped completely around her paw ;)

Before Sassy my Dad had only ever had outside cats when he was younger, and they were all apparently very aloof. Well Sassy is the opposite - she's very talkative, very bossy, and very much infatuated with my Dad. At first he was just constantly astounded by how much personality she had. I'd let him brush her, and when he did it wrong she'd smack him with her paw and move her body to show him how to do it right. He works from home, and he couldn't leave his desk for five minutes without Sassy trying to claim his chair. She'd also sit on his keyboard and talk to him until he went out to the kitchen to get her some kind of treat. (And he was always asking me if I was ABSOLUTELY SURE I was giving her enough food. He's finally starting to believe me that she's FINE, she's just been playing him for a bit of a sucker.)

At this point it's gotten so bad that she has HER OWN DESK CHAIR in his office. :lol: It's his old one with a broken wheel. He's been talking about throwing it away for oh, about six months now. But Miss Sassy uses that chair to keep Dad company whenever he's working, so I'm not going to hold my breath. I should probably be jealous that even though I do all the work of taking care of her, my Dad is her favorite person. But I just can't - the way she bosses him around is too darn funny, and the way he is with her is just too darn sweet. I don't know if he's a total convert, but at least he definitely loves my cats.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
That's great that they were able to change some opinions! Must be a great feeling. :)

To my knowledge, neither of my cats has converted anyone. There aren't many people over to start with and none over that don't already like cats to some extent. Blacky may in her spare time be secretly converting people outside but I've never seen her approach a stranger outdoors, not even people she knows besides my father and me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My father hated cats with a passion and my three have totally changed his mind. Now he tells everyone stories about the cats and how fabulous they are :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
When my son got married, his wife to be, had 3 cats. We were never cat people. They absolutely tore up her place. Scratched walls, woodwork, tore curtains and sofas, barf everywhere, etc.

Well, 7 years ago is when it all started for me! That's when Meanie and Momma Cat came into our lives. They were a Mom and her kitten. She had 5 total, but Meanie wouldn't socialize and stayed sort of feral. I found homes for 4 of them, trapped Momma and baby and brought them inside. I worked with the local humane society. Momma was definitely feral. But the absolute sweetest thing. Hubby said she had to have been a pet at one time. Both were (are) inside cats. Well, Momma went out one day and didn't want back in. Meanie has no interest in outside. I have had nothing destroyed, scratched inappropriately, barf, etc. I corner this cat to pick her up and she is very gentle and does not put her claws out. Even when I trim her nails, she doesn't like it, but she lets me do it! What a sweetheart! I am still a DOG person, but have changed my opinion on cats!! I am so happy she came into my life!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I guess Ninja thought his tough image had been besmirched, so he managed to attach himself to my visitors ankle yesterday and clamp down with teeth and claws.

Oh, these cats! What are ya gonna do! Haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts