Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my vet failed me. I had Rochelle checked for a UTI maybe a week and a half ago...they said she was fine. I brought in another sample today for a re-check since she's still urinating outside the litter box...and now they say she's got a UTI and crystals. Arrg. I'm so frustrated right now of the probability that they missed it the first time...I could have been treating her this whole last week. So anyways, Rochelle is now on a special diet and she gets a once-a-day pill with her evening meal. Poor little girl...I hope she's not in too much pain. :(

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Oh no! Poor Rochelle. But, thumbs up to you for taking in another sample for a re-check. :thumb Most people would have assumed her litter box issues were behavioural, given that she tested negative the last time around. I hope she's feeling better soon.

·
Banned
470 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And naturally offered you a refund of their first botched test....
Oh of course they did...:? I'm just glad I followed my instincts and took in another sample.

Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out. Rochelle's new diet is now Royal Canin Urinary something-or-other dry (I forget the name since the bag isn't in front of me). Heard anything about it being any good?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I believe the effectiveness of the Royal Canin depends on what kind of crystals Rochelle has. Did the vet tell you that? However, I wouldn't feed Rochelle the Royal Canin dry, since she needs as much water as she can get right now. The Royal Canin urinary also comes in canned, so I would suggest you feed that instead of kibble.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
OK, there's something that most folks don't realize. ALL cat urine will develop crystals as it sits outside of the cat's body. That's why urine should always be collected IN THE VET'S OFFICE and tested immediately. The urine you collected at home and took to the vet's office most likely had crystals because of the time lag between the time your cat eliminated it and the time it was tested in the vet's office, making it a meaningless finding.

Secondly, urine being tested for the presence of infection should also be collected in the vet's office using sterile technique (drawing it directly from the bladder with a needle). Otherwise, bacteria can easily enter the sample after it leaves the body via urination. Again, you would have to question the validity of this test result. Even if your cat does, indeed, have a UTI, a urine CULTURE (not just a urinalysis) should be run to identify the specific bacteria present so that an appropriate antibiotic can be prescribed to target that specific bacteria.

IMO, this is why so many cats' urinary problems aren't cured by prescribed treatments. Either they are misdiagnosed based on incorrect urine collection practices, or they are treated with ineffective antibiotics because no culture was run on the sample.

Just a heads-up in case your cat's current treatment doesn't resolve her problem.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ducman - That UTI stuff in the link looks interesting. You said you had good progress with it? Was wondering if you'd tried anything else...like UTI treats or things? It's hard to tell whats a scam and what will work.

Susan - Believe me, I didn't want dry...I asked the vet tech if it came in canned and she made it sound like it didn't, like at all. So great, I just bought a huge dry bag. Maybe I'll go half and half on it so it doesn't waste (half Royal Canin dry and half Royal Canin wet both of the urinary variety). As for Rochelle needing to drink more water, I thought that would be best too...I actually just got a new water fountain for the kitties the other day, and so far all three have been loving it. I've never seen Rochelle drink like this before, so I take that as a good sign, especially now that I know she's sick.

Laurie - I had no idea! They tried to get a sample from Rochelle there, but they said her bladder was the size of a golf ball and they couldn't get anything. So they gave me a non-absorbing carbon type litter to get her to use. I figured put her in the bathroom for a bit to keep her separated, and as soon as I put the special litter box together, she went in to mark it, I gathered up the urine in the little cup, and I brought it back to the vet immediately (because I wanted the results like yesterday)...they are maybe like 5 minutes down the road. Can crystals really form within like 12-15 minutes tops of being exposed outside the body? Thats quite interesting, and something I'm very glad to know about now. I will definitely be getting a culture done now as well. Thanks for the heads up Laurie...from both me and Rochelle.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I don't know exactly how long it takes for urine to start to crystallize outside of the cat's body, so I can't answer that question for you. As far as your vet's inability to collect urine in the office is concerned, it sounds like (s)he was trying to express urine manually by squeezing the bladder. That's NOT what you want. You need a fresh, sterile urine sample to test for infection, and the only way to obtain that is for the vet to extract it directly from the bladder using a needle. Once a sterile sample has been collected, your vet can use that both to immediately check for crystals and to culture for bacteria.

The only way your vet wouldn't be able to collect urine in the office would be if your cat's bladder was completely empty.

Laurie

·
Registered
366 Posts
I hope you can take the time to read about what dry cat food does to cats. At least feed it to her moistened. I can't believe vets are still prescribing dry cat food to cats with Urinary infections!!!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply Laurie. You've given me a lot of great info and even taught me something. :) When I have to go back with Rochelle for a urine sample re-check in a week or two, I'll ask about how they go about the procedure of collecting it...never hurts to be better informed, right?

Mimi - Yeah, thats why I asked at the vet tech if they had canned of the Royal Canin, and the way she answered, it made it seem like they didn't make a canned version of it at all. They probably just wanted me to buy their stupid bag of dry. I thought feeding dry food to a cat that's having urination problems sounded wrong...not to mention dry isn't good anyways. I'm planning on making a run to the pet store get some of the canned so I can mix the two...give her half and half so she doesn't dehydrate herself or make the UTI worse, and so I can at least use this bag up and get my money's worth from it without feeling too badly about feeding her dry. I'm so frustrated by all this. :? Good news is that Rochelle is drinking water quite readily from the new cat fountain, so I hope she'll get enough water from that.

·
Super Moderator
26,494 Posts
I hope you can take the time to read about what dry cat food does to cats. At least feed it to her moistened.
I've read that this is a very bad idea if it's not eaten immediately because of bacteria.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
If you mix dry and wet together, you'll be fine provided you don't leave it out all day. Just take up whatever Rochelle doesn't eat within a half hour or so. I used to feed Muffs wet and dry combined -- because that's what the breeder suggested and I was pretty green at the time. When I was doing so, I would always take away whatever she hadn't eaten after about a half hour and she was fine.

Alternatively, if the bacteria issue concerns you, but you still want to use up the dry, then you could feed the two foods separately. That is, give Rochelle the wet first and, once she's finished that, put down the dry. When you give her the wet, you could also add some water to make it soupy, which would get more water into her (assuming she'll eat it that way).

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you mix dry and wet together, you'll be fine provided you don't leave it out all day. Just take up whatever Rochelle doesn't eat within a half hour or so. I used to feed Muffs wet and dry combined -- because that's what the breeder suggested and I was pretty green at the time. When I was doing so, I would always take away whatever she hadn't eaten after about a half hour and she was fine.

Good to know, thanks Susan. :) The bacteria thing was worrying me a bit, but Rochelle always finishes her meals within a half hour, just like the others, so I guess that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I never leave any food out during the day, because Samantha will eat it all. So far the mix of Trader Joe's canned and the new dry seems to be going over well with Rochelle, so I think once I eventually get to a half and half mix, I'll start in on the Royal Canin wet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts