Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work at a retirement home during school, in my program you have to do 215 volunteer hours per semester. So I'm there twice a week for 7 hours a day. It is actually called our "placement" because we are there to learn how to work in the field.

Anyways, they bought 10 goldfish for their "fair day". All they did with them was "race" them, and no one thought to figure out who would be taking these fish home with them after they were done with them. I had a spare tank sitting around so I said that I will take them home, I offered before anyone else because I knew anyone else would just keep them in that dirty bowl. They were planning on flushing them if no one wanted them! When I took them home, they were all crowded in a 1 gallon goldfish bowl (meant for only 1 fish!!!). I feel SO bad because all I have is a 10 gallon. My 33 gallon has tropical fish in it already. I bought a big filter for the 10 gallon, hoping to help with the ammonia since I know it will be high....the tank is obviously overstocked with 10 goldfish. I do water changes once a week, half the tank.

So yesterday I notice one is dead. I feel SO BAD because I know they need a bigger tank but I can't afford to buy one. Once I do a water change, the water is ok...but within a couple of days it's getting cloudy because it gets dirty so fast. I know I saved them from being flushed, but dying from ammonia burn can't be much nicer. I feel SO bad. :oops: :cry:

I don't care if it's a $1000 german shephard puppy or a 33 cent goldfish. I just can't STAND to see any animal (or fish!) end up dying way before their time.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Are there people you know that could take one or two? Goldfish make such lovely pets, I'd take one if I could! :D Good for you for rescuing them. My dad once rescued two baby goldfish from a bachelor party where they were going to be swallowed 8O

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
Swallowed? I'm glad he saved them!

Maleke, goldfish are such a dirty fish. They eat so much! I kept mine in a 29 gallon tank with some angels and a red finned shark and some others. But 10 of them? No room to grow, for sure. I see another aquarium in your future, maybe second hand? That's what I did.

It's a shame one died, but they are so much better off with you, regardless.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Your heart was in the right place when you brought them home Maleke but the problem is that Goldfish need a bare minimum of 10 gallons each to stay healthy, thrive, and grow because common goldfish can grow to be 12-16" in length. My guess is if you put 10 GF into an uncycled 10G tank then they're probably suffocating in their own ammonia. So going by the 10 gallon rule your fish would need a 100 gallons. Heres a site with a forum about GF care if you're interested......
http://www.goldfishparadise.com/forum/phpBB2/index.php
..........Hope that Helps you out. I know 1 thing you can do to house alot of fish if you cant afford a large tank is to keep them in a large Rubbermaid plastic bin filled with water and buy the filtration online because its much less expensive than buying it in pet stores. Also use cycled material from your established tropical tank to help jumpstart the cycle in the plastic bin or whatever container you decide to use.
Hope that helped and i hope you try that GF site.......i also have another link to a another good GF site/forum but it seems to be down right now. If you want i'll post it later.
Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts