Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my kitties' poop has been so incredibly stinky lately it's almost impossible to bear. i can't figure it out! kat has been with us for a month now, at first it was just her being stinky but now cujo is stinky as well! after one of them uses the litter box, my entire apartment reeks. even the hallway is getting stinky, and we're very embarrassed about it. :oops:

i feed them felidae dry and wet, which i have been doing for a long time. i thought at first kat was stinky because she wasn't used to it, but it hasn't gotten better. i also give them liv-a-little chicken bits as treats, and occasionally i give them this hairball medicine: vetbasis hairball gel. the ingredients are: canola oil, glyceryl monostearate, beeswax, cod liver oil, taurine, cocoa butter, chicken flavor, carnuba wax, mixed tocopherols

next bag of food i buy i think will be chicken soup, to see if the smell is from the felidae.

does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

EDIT: kat herself smells pretty bad also. :( cujo still smells good though.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Try adding a digestive enzyme/acidophilus supplement to their wet food and feed them in timed meals so they aren't constantly nibbling, and so all the food they eat goes with the enzymes.

Never feed a single food long-term (over 4 months). Rotate brands and flavors. Convert gradually from one to the next.

And ditch those treats. Yuck. Carnauba wax? That's what I use to shine my truck! If they need something for hairballs, use plain Vaseline or petroleum jelly. They don't need all that other crap.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i bought some of the chicken soup today, i'll start getting them on that tomorrow. can you suggest a good enzyme thingie to give them?

guess that medicine was $10 down the drain! :lol:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Faile,
I have the SAME problem. Both my cats are on Felidae...and after they go our whole apartment stinks as well! I had to open a window this morning and it was like minus 5 out!

Let me know how the Chicken Soup goes.....I'll switch too if I have to. Their coats look SO good though on Felidae and they are SO healthy other than REALLY stinky poop! My free bag is coming up....that's why I haven't switched foods yet!

I didn't know about the switch food every 4 months rule! Good to know!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maleke- i definitely keep you updated on the chicken soup thing. i also discovered my little girl has diarrhea and that may also be the cause of the smell. i think i'm going to take her in and get some poo analyzed. were your kitties always stinky on the felidae? cause cujo never was until lately.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Heh, I've begun to gradually switch my girls over to Felidae from Wellness and they're poo is pretty stinky as well. I think I'm going to switch them over to something else.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hahahahaha......Felidae is a REALLY good food. Maybe we just have smelly cats?????

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
smelly cat, smelly cat
what are they feeding you?
:lol: :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts