Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
isn't that frusterating when you go to the theater /rent the movie that's been made out of the book you love, only to be horribly dissapointed?

Some movies help you discover new authors and books, when I was little, about 12 I think, I rented Interview With The Vampire, and I thought it was so cool, and when I discovered it was a book I bought it straight away, and of coarse the book WAS better, but I've been reading Anne Rice ever since, So when I found out they were making Queen of the Damned into a movie I was thrilled, that was my favorite anne rice book! I never made it to the theaters to see it, due to location but the day it was out on video I rented it, and it was this HUGE dissapointment, they killed it, they ripped out the guts and presented this pathetic hollow shell called a blockbuster. I was so mad, they changed everything and cut out so much of the good stuff..

so what movies have you guys felt like that from?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Weeeeeell...

I really like the Shining (movie), but the book was much different. Not that it was butchered - Kuprick changed pieces of the story for social commentary (Americans vs. Natives), and for other reason's to make the movie more "his".

I'm not sure of any other book to screen movies I liked. Angelas Ashes was good, and so was Dolores Claiborne (maybe I only like it because it was filmed near my home town in Digby).

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I was really anxious to see "Along Came a Spider". James Patterson is one of my favorite authors and this movie was based on one of his books. The movie wasn't so much bad, but just completely different from the book. It is a crime story and they even completely changed who the murderer was!
My husband liked the movie, but he hadn't read the book so he didn't have to same expectations going into it.
I think movies based on books are always a little disappointing. Movie just don't have time to get into the charactor development that books do.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I agree with Lori. The book is never quite true to the book. Stephen King was not happy with The Shining. I liked the movie very much, but there was no emphasis on the furnace, which I think represented the "boiling over and blow up" that occured in the mind and personality of the main character. The hedge animals were changed into a maze also. I think the hedge animals were symbolic also-of the way alcohol and depression creep up on people and affect everyone in the family.

King's Pet Semetary is one that didn't translate well to the screen. The two year old was laughable in the movie, but horrifying in the book.

Speaking of King, Misery was equally exciting in both mediums!

GWTW is an exception. I liked both the book -all 1500 pages of it-and the movie also.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Jeanie said:
I agree with Lori. The book is never quite true to the book. Stephen King was not happy with The Shining. I liked the movie very much, but there was no emphasis on the furnace, which I think represented the "boiling over and blow up" that occured in the mind and personality of the main character. The hedge animals were changed into a maze also. I think the hedge animals were symbolic also-of the way alcohol and depression creep up on people and affect everyone in the family.

King's Pet Semetary is one that didn't translate well to the screen. The two year old was laughable in the movie, but horrifying in the book.

Speaking of King, Misery was equally exciting in both mediums!

GWTW is an exception. I liked both the book -all 1500 pages of it-and the movie also.
I don't think Kubrick was out to do a reiteration of the book though. He's a brilliant director and I think in the end his version is more believable (King's was a bit to supernatural in parts).

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
"Catch-22" has got to be one of the best books ever and it was completely ruined by Hollywood. They didn't even have all the characters but they would combine sometimes three characters into one! And the humor just wasn't there...

Another book made into a movie was "The Mists of Avalon", done by TNT. They completely botched it. The ending was completely different and they put a totally absurd twist on one of the characters and made her "evil" when she wasn't at all in the book. (This is a SUPER book if you're into the Arthurian Legends - it's told from the women's point of view, amazing!)

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Bean, I loved the movie, "The Shining." I just don't understand why the furnace was left out. I have seen that movie at least a dozen times, however!

The worst example I can think of is the movie, Immortal Beloved. It was based on speculation, and really twisted the truth about the composer and the people in his life. I idolize Beethoven, his music and his determination, and I did quite a bit of research on his life while I was in college. The movie was full of falsehoods, according to primary sources. No one knows who the Immortal Beloved was. I know this isn't of general interest, but it upset me. His real life deserves a great movie; it was fascinating!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts