Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend Karl had emergency surgery twice. He was put on a vent and I don't think he's not going to make it. Now he's has a track (a tube in his throat to help him breathe). He asked me a while ago if something happened to him if I would take his cat Pete. Of course I will. Oh how I love Pete and Pete loves me. I just love this cat. He's so gentle. He never bites or scratches me. I just don't think Karl is going to make it. Pneumonia, 80 years old, and with cancer, though the cancer has been good. He was doing so well and then boom everything changed. I live with my 2 cats in an apartment. I just know if I take Pete someone here will find out and complain to the office and I will be told to get rid of him. It's happened to someone here before. Some people have nothing else to do but complain about other people. That would break my heart. I'm thinking of asking my friend, who lost her cat about 5 months ago. She's lonely without a cat. My only stipulation is that Pete can never be allowed to go outside. He's never been outside. That's how she's lost her cats and I've told her she can't have a cat that goes outside. If this happens I will tell her that she can only take him if she's doesn't let him outside and if I find out she lets him outside (it's mostly her boyfriend who does this) that I will immediately take him back. I'm going to put this in writting and have her sign it to cover my butt. Pete is so lonely without Karl. He misses his daddy so much and I feel so sorry for him. I go to Karl's house everyday to take care of the cats-Pete and Screech- and the geese. I stay all day because I don't want to have to travel 2 times a day to his house. When I leave Karl's house at 6 pm Pete cries out and it breaks my heart to have to leave him. But my cats suffer because of this but right now I need to be there for Karl and his cats. I also fear that if Karl dies that if his son doesn't take Screech that I will have to try to find a no kill shelter for Screech. I'm so worried about this but it seems no one wants Screech. I hope I can convince Karl's step-son to take Screech. He seems to like him. He says Screech is so nice. He loves it when Jim comes and sleeps over night. It would kill me if Screech ended being PTS because of this. I just love cats and if something bad happened to Screech I would be so upset. I worry about this when I'm old and have cats. What would happen to my cat. I can't live without a cat but I worry about my cat's future when I'm gone. This is such a problem when people are elderly. I looked into a program that will take care of your cat when you are gone for the life of the cat but they want $10,000.00. I certainly cant afford that. It puts you in a dilema of having a cat or not. It's not fair. Your pets suffer. If Karl dies I have no idea what will happen to the geese. I don't really like them but I wish them no harm. I will try to find a place that can take them. It's not like there is an animal shelter that will take them here. If I can't find a place that will take the geese then the only thing that will happen is that they are PTS. His son and sister can't take them. There has to be some place that can take them. All of this worry is taking a toll on me. I worry so much for his animals. I welcome any suggestions.

Kathy

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
It's a shame your friend is sick, it's a shame he didn't take care of all this before hand and left it for you to deal with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's easy to say that, but with cancer, there's a lot of denial involved. In addition, it's possible that his doctor never told him that his disease was terminal. Some people just don't want to face the facts even at that age, and preparing for these measures (drafting a will and willing off your animals) is like staring death in the face.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Being sick has nothing to do with it.

I'm a 38 year old healthy adult and I have a will and have made arrangements for my pets. When I adopted them I took on a lifelong (their life) responsibility. Their needs are not going to disappear just because I'm gone. There is an emergency plan in place should something happen to me, my cats will have care in a safe place for the duration of their life.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Karl died yesterday. He knew about the cancer for years. He died from something different. Now i have to find a home for the cats and the geese. Karl's sister and stepson don't want the cats.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My friend is taking Pete which is great. I wanted him but I can't but at least I can see him once or twice a week. She's taking him tomorror. It's going to be lonely at Karl's house while I take care of Screech and the geese. I'm going to contact a no kill shelter for Screech. So sad. Finding a home for the geese is hard. I'm going to advertise them.

Kathy

·
Registered
159 Posts
Kathy, you sound overwhelmed and for good reason but don't lose hope. We are all thinking good thoughts, so let's believe someone will come through. I wish you and the animals the very best.

Being sick has nothing to do with it.

I'm a 38 year old healthy adult and I have a will and have made arrangements for my pets. When I adopted them I took on a lifelong (their life) responsibility. Their needs are not going to disappear just because I'm gone. There is an emergency plan in place should something happen to me, my cats will have care in a safe place for the duration of their life.
I did the same a few years ago and I'm 25 now. I was prompted to do so after a woman from a forum I frequented passed suddenly and unexpectedly, leaving the cats she adored and cared for to her family who let whatever cats they saw outside and the rest they abandoned in her apartment to die. I believe friends from the forum helped to rescue all but one of her cats. The whole thing terrified me. No matter the age or illness.. what if??

·
Registered
317 Posts
... and the rest they abandoned in her apartment to die.?
Oh my gods what a shame :(

I'm the same I have a few people at work, and my fiance, who will take care of pinky if something happens. I'm only 20 but you need a backup plan. As well as my other two cats in the care of my parents. They will go to my brothers if something happens. We're all cat people. My brothers have a cat of their own, Sparticus.

but I'm sorry for your loss most of all, I hope the animals find great homes <3

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm extremely overwhelmed. I went to my friend who took Pete because she said he hasn't eatten or used the litter box. As soon as he heard my voice he came out. I'm going to go there everyday for a while to help him. I miss him so much. Not only did i lose karl, now Pete is not at karl's house. I'm afriad Renee will give him back because she expects the perfect cat. I just know Pete will start scratching something and Renee will freak out. She's more worried about the perfect house than Pete. Tomorrow we are going to get Pete a scratcher. I will get him an extra scratcher because Renee believes he only needs a vertical one and not also a horizontal one. I tried to explain to her but she's stubborn. When I was there today, he scratch the rug. I said to Renee it's just a rug. I said a rug is replaceable.

My son called and said his exwife would take Screech. Screech was thier cat to begin with. I brought him to her and the landlord came. I didn't hear what was said but I just new he didn't want a cat there. I asked Crissy several times what did he say but she wouldn't say. I just had a very bad feeling so i said i'm taking him back. She will never get him back. She is too unstable and she said her boyfriend abused her. I just feel this boyfriend would abuse Screech. I couldn't live with that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
my heart goes out to you in the loss of your friend. I hope the kitty situation gets better. as someone who is offically over the cat limit I probably have no room to encourage this because I know people get evicted. but i had to keep her. it's not like i am hoarding but I am one over the limit. Good luck, i am praying for you.

·
Registered
234 Posts
So sorry to hear about Karl's passing.
I was thinking. My first cat showed up about the time and elderly (elderly ha ha he was perhaps 15 years my senior. I am not a young bull anymore) man down the road passed. I could tell that Colonel had been loved before and had house manners. It was less than 2 weeks before I had him sitting on my lap. It was a longtime before he would cotton up to my wife. With this said: Maybe make a heart jerking post to put up at the local Senior Citizen Center.
Since Karl was a senior, maybe the cats would respond better to a senior over a younger person who may have kids in the family. A lot of seniors I know are lonely and would love a visit from anyone. I am sure you would be welcome in thier home to play with Pete and chat with them.
Just an outside the box idea on how to rehome them. Hope you find wonderful homes for them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Please tell your friend who took Pete to be patient! The poor kitty has a lot to adjust to and he just needs time and love. Cats scratch because they have to, she should get a scratching post--they're not expensive--and gently train him to use it if she's really worried about her rugs.

I hope everything works out! We have ten cats but we are still in our 40s and barring a catastrophe (pun unintended) we hope, weird as it may sound, to outlive them. Future cats will require a different plan but I don't think I should have to deprive myself of a cat's affection just because I may die first. My grandmother adopted 2 cats when she was widowed and already quite elderly and they brought her endless joy until the day she died, after a short sudden illness. She died at home with the cats by her side and afterwards her caregiver adopted them I know she was happy to have them with her at the end.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Kathy you have such a good heart to be honoring Karl by taking care of his little family. I don't know where you live but you might contact some local farms to see if they want to take the geese.

I hope that Pete and your friend are able to develop a love bond. Poor Pete has really lost his 2 most important people and his home all in a very short time he must be so confused.

And poor Screech, I hope that he finds a home.

Hugs to you as you deal with all of this. You have every reason to feel overwhelmed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts