Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am fostering a new cat with the potential to adopt her. We got her on Wednesday and she has been isolated in one room. I have one other cat and a dog. I was planning to start to slowly socialize her with my other cat using scent and gradual introduction as I've read online. Yesterday, my son did not close her door all the way and she came out of the room to quickly encounter my resident cat. He freaked out with a lot of growling and hissing and she ran back in the room and hid under the couch. Did this negative encounter ruin my chances of socializing them successfully?

Also, another problem is that the new cat had fleas from the shelter that I didn't know about until I brought her home. I treated her, my cat and my dog, plus I sprayed/vacuumed her room and don't see any more evidence of live fleas. Do you think it would be a risk to have her come out into the rest of the house or be in contact with my cat now because of the flea eggs that may be on her that have not hatched yet? If all the animals are treated, can they still multiply in the rest of the house? I wasn't sure if it would be better to wait the three weeks of the flea cycle to keep her isolated. Not sure how to handle this complicated situation. Please help with any advice you can. Thank you!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, I'd keep her isolated for three weeks until the flea cycle is over, and keep up the scent and gradual introduction. I think once they get used to each others smells before you introduce them again, they should be fine, but don't take my word for it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts