Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my cat Stripes is old, and only has about one or two teeth left. I feed him either Whiskers or 9 lives soft food, he seems to be just drinking the juice and leaving the food, I think it's tough for him to chew sometimes with the chunks and he just leaves them behind. He can't chew dry food b/c it's hard for him to chew it. I would like to know if there's any other food out there for him, that would be easier to chew, since he is on the skinny side.

He's missing out on some good meals I give him.

any suggestions would help.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Eagle Pack might be a good one to try if its available in your area. Its more watery than some other brands and its not chunky. You can probably even add a little warm water to it to make it more soupy so its easier for your cat to lap up.

www.eaglepack.com

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
When i was starting viennas kittens on food i soaked dry food, it was very mushy- obviously the more you water is the easier it will be for him to eat, maybe give that a try, then he is still getting the full goodness of food.

Only put small emounts down at a time, it goes off very very quickly espcially in the summer.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Don't get dry food wet! The bacteria that are present on the surface will reproduce by the millions in warm, wet conditions.

There are many good canned cat foods that you could try; not grocery store types but things like Avo, Petguard, Precise, Chicken Soup, Nutro, etc. If the food is chunks in gravy, smush the chunks with a fork so he can't just suck off the juice.l

If your cat's appetite really seems off, you should have him checked by the vet for dehydration and to make sure there isn't any problem with the kidneys or liver.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts