Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have television at home, so I spend lots of time at hulu.com (and network websites), surfing around and watching shows I've never seen before. Yesterday, I came across "Solitary".

Holy crapola, this show is demented. And fascinating. AND AWFUL.

I can't look away. And I kinda want to try out for it.

Has anyone else watched this show?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I'd never heard of hulu.com before but after reading this decided to look it up to see what you were talking about. I only watch the first 5 minutes or so of episode 1 but WOW! Unfortunately I have to get back to work but if I can manage to find the time to watch all these I just might. I know there is no way I would even make it through the first day in solitary. I mean, I'm home alone a lot but at least I have access to everything else electronic.

This show could prove to be interesting. How many eppys have you watched so far?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is 100% messed up. Really.

Nine people kept in small rooms, solitary except for communication with a "computer" (named Val and visually represented in a way similar to Hal from 2001 A Space Odyssey) who runs these experiments. They are required to endure various hardships - such as sleep deprivation, hunger, cold, physical discomfort and pain, etc - in order to continue on in the competition. They can quit at any time, if the emotional/physical/mental stress is too great. They have no understanding of the passage of time, and they only find out well after the fact if a competitor has quit.

I think what's so compelling about this is that it's a personal game, in a way. They're competing against each other, sure, but they don't interact. They don't play mind games with each other. It's all individual.

And I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the mental degradation these people are putting themselves through is a little fascinating. It makes me wince. And boggle.

I'm on episode five right now. Crazy stuff.

(Also, hulu.com is one of my favorite websites EVER. Some great movies and tv shows are up there, totally free of charge. And it's a legal, legit website, growing in popularity. I love it!)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
That sounds utterly deplorable... 8O Why would anyone want to do that?

It's torture...

I take it there's some massive cash prize at the end?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Huge said:
I take it there's some massive cash prize at the end?
Not even. The winner gets $50,000 - nothing to sneer at, but a ridiculously small amount for a game show.

It's becoming more and more absurd as the show goes on. It's amazing to me. Oh, man.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts