Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I started volunteering at a shelter I have accumulated cats—way too many cats. All but my first (the one I had before getting into this) are"unadoptable." They were going to be TNRs or worse. Some changed as soon as they were in the house. Others gave me scars but eventually. they all learned to function in my house. Yet, the slightest thing to push them out of their comfort zone turns them back into wild animals. I am going to have to start using a mobile vet.

I have two other immediate issues:

1. Feeding. Two defy the crowd and go to their own corners at feeding time. If anyone comes after their food they defend and they don't interfere with the others.
I have one who is grossly obese and needs diet food. Feeding is like at a hoarding. I put down as many bowls as cats but they all go to the same bowl. Eat that. Move to the next bowl. It looks like they are trying to maximize eats that way. Any ideas on how to deal with this?

2. Litter Box. Technically, I should have twice as many litter boxes out as I do. There simply is not room for that. I have been using pine litter. There is always a track of litter leading from the box to the bathtub (no idea what they do in there) and to the door. I need to figure out the best litter solution for many cats.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
1. Feeding. When I was breeding and had quite a few adult cats they all ate off one large plate. I did have one cat that was a piggy and would push other cats away from the big plate, so I fed him separately in a cat carrier, or a bathroom.

2. Litter Box..As far as the bathtub is concerned, they may be using it as a big litter box to pee in. Out of the blue my eldest cat (at15 yrs.) starting doing this, then my younger one was a copy cat! Had to put about an inch of water in tub to discourage them, but then they started peeing on the bathroom floor. I found it easier to clean the tub rather than a tile floor with grout. Most of the time they use their litter boxes, but occasionally they still use the tub.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts