Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I feel pretty badly about this. Last night was my first 24 hour shift at the hospital and Freja's first overnight alone. I had time to stop at home in the afternoon and put out some fresh food and water and scoop out her boxes, but when I got home 16 hours later she was so happy to see me. She promptly had an accident on my hardwood floor, I don't know if she was excited to see me or saying "Hey don't do that!" It happened while I was scooping her boxes and taking out the garbage, so by the time I saw it it had been soaking into the wood for at least 5 mins. Now there is a big dark stain on the floor and still a musty odor despite my attempts with baking soda and soapy water.

Anyone have suggestions for cleaning it? Partly I'm not sure what things are safe on the floor, I don't want to damage the wood (It's beautiful and my dad thinks its walnut). My undergrad degree was in chemistry so I suspect that peroxide (+/- baking soda) or bleach might fix the odor but I don't know if they'll damage the floor or the varnish.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I would check with a hardwood flooring company for a solution. If the stain is that bad, the floor may have to be sanded and refinished where the spot is.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The joys of having beautiful wood flooring...I also have wood floors, but I don't have an answer except don't oversoak the floor!!! Call a flooring company they should be able to help..hopefully mine will never have that accident :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts