Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Looking for some advice...

I have had my cat, BabyCat, on the raw diet for about a week now. She is 14 and surprisingly has taken really well to it. The first two nights I left her usual wet food from a tin, for her to eat during the night, but she didn't touch it and I threw it away in the end.

So I've tried her on raw chicken, raw pork, raw pork liver(her over all favourite) and raw lambs heart; so far she has only refused the lambs heart, but I do intend to try her on lots more meats in time. The thing is, being as she is so old I don't think she will be able to manage bone, like chicken wings, because she has never had to use her jaw muscles like that. So I had an idea, to buy bone meal and purée some liver and sort of mix it together, and probably add some finely shredded broccoli too, since it says you should give them a bit of veg too. I just need to know what sort of quantities I need to give her and how often. I know she must have mainly muscle meat, and that's what she's getting, but I need to cover the bone and veg consumption too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The generally-accepted formula is:

80% Muscle meat
10% Bone
10% Organs (~5% of this total should be liver)

Heart is usually considered to be classed with the "muscle meat" since it's a dense and tough muscular organ, so don't rely on using only heart for your organ %. Try to pick up some gizzards/giblets too.

You do not need veggies at all. Cats can't digest veggies well and generally derive zero nutritional value from them. Some cats require fiber in their diets, yes, but this can be addressed by adding psyllium.

If you are making your own homemade diet, it's very likely that your cat will need supplements as well, as they won't get all the nutrients they need from just a meat+bone+select organs diet (since, when consuming prey, they get trace minerals and nutrients from the brain/etc).

http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.php

You'll want to keep the 80/10/10 ratio in mind when mixing your own bone meal/etc. So, if your cat is 9 lbs and is slated to get ~2.8 oz of food a day (at the calculation of 2% of body weight fed per day), you will need to mix .04 oz (1.1 grams) of bone meal into the meals somehow.

Bone meal is generally not as favorable as actual bone (ground or whole), since the process used to make bone meal destroys the marrow and most of the nutrients contained in bone.

As a side note - I recently transitioned my 14-year-old cat to a raw diet. It took her about a week or so to "learn" how to actually EAT the meat and bones, as she tried to simply lick them up as if it was canned cat food. But, given time, she was able to learn how to shear off chunks of meat and crunch bones. She can now handle chicken necks and wings with ease. So, don't give up on your kitty just because she's old :}

·
Registered
889 Posts
* Addendum - Omit the broccoli entirely. Your cat doesn't need it, and can't use it. People who claim that cats "DO eat vegetables because they consume whatever is in the stomach of the prey at the time of consumption" are off their nut - the amount contained in a mouse's stomach, IF AND ONLY IF it had RECENTLY eaten, is utterly miniscule. Cats don't need, and cannot digest, vegetables, fruits, and grains.

I don't know what "it" was that told you that cats need vegetables, but frankly, the source is incorrect.

And if the reason is "because they eat grass" - that is also misleading. Cats eat grass when they have upset stomachs - they cannot digest the grass, so they vomit it out, along with the offending stomach contents that made them ill.

If you do not feel comfortable with raw bone, here is a company that makes additive nutrients for raw diets without bone:

http://tcfeline.com/cat-food-premix/

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
They do have a distributor in the U.S. You just need to explore their website a bit to find it.

Fran

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks LakotaWolf, that was excellent advice! I thought that about the veggies too, but every where seems to says to add a little because of them getting it from the stomachs of the prey.

I do want her to eat real bone. Last night I left a chicken wing; she left the part with the two little bones but did have a good go at the fatter part with only one bone, but left the bone. I have bought this: Dog Supplements: Great Deals on Dog Supplements at zooplus: Grau Bone Meal It says to use just a pinch. I will only use it until she can manage bone. But I got worried about her not having any as I read that someone accidentally killed their kitten because they were following a BARF recipe which required bone meal, but they couldn't find it so just left it out.

Once again many thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts