Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My husband and I got Milo last week, when he was 7 weeks and 3 days old. He's our first and only pet, and we love him to pieces! My husband only agreed to get a cat as a compromise (in exchange for permission to get a dog someday when we move to a larger place - I don't like dogs much at all, and I really don't want to walk one in the winter in Canada, but I've always wanted a cat) but Milo has completely won him over. Now his entire google+ feed is videos and pictures of Milo, lol.

I just have some questions:

1) I read that when cats pound their foot like Thumper the rabbit that they're in pain. Milo does this to his toys sometimes - he'll hold the toy in his front paws and kick it repeatedly with his hind legs. Is he ok?

2) Milo scratches behind his ears with a hind leg once or twice a day. The vet says that he doesn't have ear mites - should she check again?

3) Eventually we want to feed him wet food twice in the evening (maybe at 6pm and midnight) and leave a tiny bit of dry food out for during the day so he doesn't go hungry (also so he stays willing to eat dry food, so we can leave it out if we go away overnight). I'm working towards that gradually so his stomach doesn't get upset. So far, we've had him a week (he's 8 weeks, 4 days) and we've been gradually switching him from the Royal Canin kitten 36 dry that the breeder was feeding him, to Wellness Core dry (the kind for cats and kittens). Then the next step will be introducing wet food! I want him to get most of his calories from wet food eventually, but since he's little now I want him to be able to eat when he's hungry. To counter some of the dehydrating effects of eating dry food, when we give him a treat we smoosh a freeze dried shrimp cat treat in a saucer of water, and he downs all that shrimpy water.

So my questions about that:
3a) Are two big wet food meals at 6pm and midnight too close together? (He'll have dry left out if he's hungry overnight or during the day) Feeding him in the morning is not our first choice because my husband and I sleep in much later on the weekends - and really need that sleep.

3b) I'm concerned that the kind of dry food we got him is too big for him right now - I mean, the kibble pieces look huge compared to his mouth. So I crush them up with the back of a spoon and mix in a little water to moisten them, so he can get back a little extra water. I read that dry food can have mold, but I also read that dehydration is a big problem in cats. I'm not sure which is the bigger problem - should I continue to add water to his dry food?

4) When do kittens grow out of biting and scratching? We're pretty good with distracting him with toys before he starts to "play" with us, and discouraging him from chewing on wires and curtains by spraying them with cat repellent. We tell him "no" and give him 3 minute time-outs, and he's improved *so much* in a week. We spray him with water only as a last resort (we've done it twice). Anyways, I'm getting sick of playing cat police and I'd like to know when he'll outgrow it. (Btw, my husband had a friend over who kept tapping his feet when Milo was in Kitten Attack mode, and teasing Milo with his hands after we said not to - and Milo still didn't bite him! We're so proud!)

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
1) I read that when cats pound their foot like Thumper the rabbit that they're in pain. Milo does this to his toys sometimes - he'll hold the toy in his front paws and kick it repeatedly with his hind legs. Is he ok?
He's fine, we call that rabbit kicking. He's play fighting with his toys.

2) Milo scratches behind his ears with a hind leg once or twice a day. The vet says that he doesn't have ear mites - should she check again?
If his ears look clean and shiney inside I wouldn't worry at all. Just like you scratch occasionally, so does he.

3a) Are two big wet food meals at 6pm and midnight too close together? (He'll have dry left out if he's hungry overnight or during the day) Feeding him in the morning is not our first choice because my husband and I sleep in much later on the weekends - and really need that sleep.
I'll defer to the people who are more expert than I am but personally, I would feed him morning and evening (wet) and if you really feel the need to leave out kibble just leave some out while you're at work.

3b) I'm concerned that the kind of dry food we got him is too big for him right now - I mean, the kibble pieces look huge compared to his mouth. So I crush them up with the back of a spoon and mix in a little water to moisten them, so he can get back a little extra water. I read that dry food can have mold, but I also read that dehydration is a big problem in cats. I'm not sure which is the bigger problem - should I continue to add water to his dry food?
Again, I'll defer to the experts but from what I've read dry food can accumulate bacteria very quickly when wet so I don't know that it's safe to leave it out for long periods of time.

4) When do kittens grow out of biting and scratching? We're pretty good with distracting him with toys before he starts to "play" with us, and discouraging him from chewing on wires and curtains by spraying them with cat repellent. We tell him "no" and give him 3 minute time-outs, and he's improved *so much* in a week. We spray him with water only as a last resort (we've done it twice). Anyways, I'm getting sick of playing cat police and I'd like to know when he'll outgrow it. (Btw, my husband had a friend over who kept tapping his feet when Milo was in Kitten Attack mode, and teasing Milo with his hands after we said not to - and Milo still didn't bite him! We're so proud!)
What a good boy he was! Not playing with the instigator. I'll let you know about the wires and curtains and stuff when my cat grows out of it. He's seven. :wink

1 - 2 of 2 Posts