Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions in regard to my cat's weird behaviors. hopefully all you experts here can help me out a bit

BTW - please excuse my inability to describe everything in a fashionable way..
1. Every 1 or 2 weeks, my cat goes crazy/extremely hyper for approximately 30 seconds. During this phase, she will madly race around the house with its tail spiked up like a troubled skunk or something.. And no, i don't recall ever having illegal drugs in my household nor do i smoke or drink. can some explain why it does this and what i should do about it?

2. i have two cats. the male is very friendly and outgoing but the female is more anti-social and cocky. the female hates the male but the male doesn't mind the other. what should i do about it?

3. why does my cat play with its food so much? it dips its paws in the water to drink and swipes the food pieces around to chase it before eating it.. is that ok?

4. my cat, the friendly one, has an obsession with the front coat closet. everytime someone opens it, it will hurriedly sneak in and stay there for nearly half the day. it'll constantly be trying to open the door too. why is that?

5. why does my cat all of a sudden bite me sometimes? i can tell it's more of a friendly bite but it's strange. and i know it's not b/c its hungry or the litter box is full..

thank you so much!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
1. Is she spayed? It actually sounds like normal cat behavior to me.

2. How long have they been living together? What ages are they? Which one did you get first? You could try putting vanilla on the backs of their necks -- people here have had great success with that. If cats smell the same then they seem to accept each other more.

3. Totally normal. Cats have an instinct to test water with their paw first before drinking -- it often comes out in domestic cats. And playing with food might be part of the catch and kill instinct of eating food. Both behaviors are totally normal.

4. Some cats are obsessed with anywhere they aren't supposed to be. Any place they aren't able to explore at their whim. Closed doors are often a cat fascination. Totally normal. If it bugs you, then leave the closet open most of the time, sooner or later your cat will probably tire of it now that it's not mysterious.

5. When does the bite happen? Sometimes if you pet your cat for a long time, they will bite b/c of overstimulation. Every cat has a petting threshold. It's up to you to learn the warning signs and become accustomed to how long your cat is willing to be pet. Ears back, tail flicking turning into more of a swatting motion, skin rippling along the back are all signs that your cat's threshold is almost reached, and you should stop petting. If it's not during petting that your cat is biting you, your cat might have gotten used to playing with your hands. If your cat bites you, you should go limp and say "ouch!" Never tug or pull or swat your cat away -- they will think you are playing and therefore the behavior is reinforced. When your cat bites, after you go limp and cry out, stop playing with it immediately. This lets them know that the behavior is not fun and not welcome.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Ditto everything ForJazz said, and adding:

1. Racing: Ah, yes, the crazies, where your house becomes a NASCAR track. Stops as suddenly as it started. Sometimes there are casualties, like your fav lamp. It's normal, a common thing for lots of cats, especially indoor ones. Theories abound as to why, and the one I like is that they've got a lot of built-up energy that needs release at some point, since they're not stalking or sprinting, something they like to do.

2. F dislikes M: My Kayla is very standoffish with my boys, but it's ok. She just likes to be by herself most of the time. Just let them be, if they're not fighting. I know you're feeling sad that your friendly boy isn't getting the playing you were hoping for, but sometimes Kayla will cuddle with the boys, so this may happen for you too.

3. Dipping paws: that is sooo cute, although the mess left behind isn't.

4. LOL There is nothing more interesting than a closed door, even if it's the same darned closet that he's been in 1 million times. You never know, the closet bogeyman could have switched something. Sounds like he likes the dark hideyhole thing, do you have some boxes or kitty condos for hiding?

5. Biting - yeah sounds like overstimulation, happens with some cats. Just gotta train. Same things like ForJazz worked for me: don't pull away, push toward them instead. I also added a little scream with the ouch everytime he bit. It will take some time to get results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow thanks for all the replies!

i especially like the idea of putting vanillla on the back of their necks.. will definitely give it a try.

lol i've already tried the biting technique just this morning when my cat walked over, plumped its body on the desk and fought my right arm.

thanks again

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Everyone's answer is great, but I just wanted to add, alot of this sounds normal. My cats love going into my closet b/c its mostly closed but when I leave it open they go in and go out and leave it alone. They need to know if anything strange is going on in there, investigate and leave, hehe. Whenever my cats run the mill of the house like a racetrack, it sounds like a herd of elephants doesn't it? :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts