Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

Okay just to give a quick rundown of the situation. Let's say I have around a year left to stay where I'm at, and then it's possible I move elsewhere to another country where it would be hard to keep a strictly indoors cat due to a bunch of circumstances.

Would it be a horrible idea to adopt a cat at this time? I'm pretty much 90% sure it would make me a horrible person to do something like that, because I'm probably leaving very soon and can't take it with me, but I'm wondering if anyone here thinks it might have benefits for the cat.

Basically, I don't think that it's nice to adopt a cat and be like "hey kitty you have a new home :'D" and then be like "k sorry gtg lol" and put it in another shelter (dunno of any friends that'd take it as of now). It would suck badly for both myself and the cat, because I'm sure I'm not gonna want to leave it, and I'm sure it too will probably be sad.

You're probably wondering why I started this topic since I already seem to have a pretty strong opinion on the matter. You're right, I kind of don't have a good answer to that question. All I can say is, I love cats and I would love to adopt one, but I'm gloomy knowing the circumstances. I'm just posting this in an off-chance that someone might tell me "actually, you should do it because of X great reason" even though I'm kind of skeptical given the circumstances.

I'd just like honest opinions. If you think it's a horrible idea, just go ahead and tell it to me straight, that's what I made this topic for. To encourage me if it's a good idea and I don't know better, or to deter me from an unwise, unjust decision that I'm already suspicious of.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Have you looked into fostering? I would not adopt a cat knowing that you will most likely need to give it up in a year, but if you want some companionship and you want to help, look into local rescue organizations. You may be able to care for some kitties and help them get ready for adoption!

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Why don't you look into fostering or helping cat rescue projects? There's so much need. There's more than one way to think this through...

Fran

P.S. Everyone has the same idea....:)

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
It seems a bit selfish to adopt a cat only to turn around and rehome it or doom it to be put to sleep at a shelter.

I agree, offer to foster and worth with rescue.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The others pretty much said it all already. If you haven't fostered in the past, you should definitely consider allowing yourself the experience. It's an unselfish act that is just as fulfilling and rewarding as cat ownership, if not more so! You learn so much about feline kind, about yourself. At some point in time maybe you'll be in a different situation where you can give a cat a forever home. Just because you can't provide that right now doesn't mean you can't provide kitties the bridge to their forever homes. :) There is definitely a lot of need and not enough foster homes to help them get them to the forever homes they deserve.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
as others have stated, don't adopt if you plan on just turning around and sending it to a shelter in a year. Definitely look into fostering, a lot of cats need a foster while they wait for a forever home. And you would have the satisfaction knowing you will be saving one from being PTS while it waits for its new home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow awesome guys, I didn't even know you can do this. I'm going to have to look into this some more, but there are some issues I'm kind of worried about.

You see, by getting a cat or two that I know will be mine, I can choose their personalities such that they can get along without my presence. This is because often times I am busy from early morning to night outside the house. Because of that, it could be difficult for me to meet the needs of a cat that is more social, and with fostering it seems like I will not have control over that element like I would choosing a cat or two for keeps.

I feel like fostering might mean a lot of time commitment to that cause and that it's not practical for someone as busy as I am to take up. I'm a full time student with a job, but I am free during the weekends.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
with fostering it seems like I will not have control over that element like I would choosing a cat or two for keeps.
Not to sound critical here.. but you did say that most likely if you got a cat in a year it would go back to the shelter. This does not sound like a "for keeps" situation. If it was a "for keeps" situation, you would be looking forward to 15+ years with the cat not a 'just for now" time period.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes, that's a little redundant. Fostering is a temporary situation that matches your own temporary situation. It requires no more commitment than having a cat be a permanent member of your household. It's up to the foster which animals and how many they'd like to foster and for how long they'd like to keep volunteering. If you're worried about commitment or a lack time, I'm a bit confused as to why you would consider getting a cat in the first place?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, that's a little redundant. Fostering is a temporary situation that matches your own temporary situation. It requires no more commitment than having a cat be a permanent member of your household. It's up to the foster which animals and how many they'd like to foster and for how long they'd like to keep volunteering. If you're worried about commitment or a lack time, I'm a bit confused as to why you would consider getting a cat in the first place?
Since I knew about how busy I would be, I figured if I adopted a cat for keeps (I merely use this term to distinguish from fostering) then I can adopt one that's not very social and can do without too much of my attention. Or I would adopt two to keep each other company. When I return home in the evenings I can then spend a couple of hours with them.

But if it's going to be a foster cat, I was just wondering if I can get that same setup going as easily. That's because I may not have as much control when it comes to choosing the cat I want to foster. They would just sort of come and go with my place being a sort of in-between, and then it would be more likely that I get a cat who's needs I can't meet. Especially since a lot of those cats might have special needs given what situations they've been in. None of that needs to be a factor if I'm going to adopt a cat where I would choose one that fits perfectly with my day to day life. I hope you guys get what I'm trying to say.

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
I think you should still check into fostering. They'll look at your schedule and see if they have a cat that would fit. An adult "must be an only cat" may be perfect. Or a bonded pair who will have each other to be with during the week. I think a rescue would welcome anyone willing to take a cat temporarily, they always have cats they want to rescue from being put to sleep, but sometimes just don't have a foster available.

·
Registered
159 Posts
As you would be the volunteer, you would tell the rescue what your situation is and your desired set up. (Two to keep each other company or one that isn't very needy, etc., based on your own availability.). There are a lot of cats that have moved between various foster homes and are used to being moved and adapt quickly. Social, antisocial, whathaveyou. I'd contact a local rescue and tell them your situation, what you'd like to do and see if they can't help work something out with you that will be a win-win for everyone involved. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks a lot for the responses guys, I really appreciate it. Yes this topic paid off big time because I didn't even know that you can foster a cat and that really seems to be the perfect solution to my situation, but of course I will have to explain everything to the people at the foster home for cats and see if they think it's a good idea for me to have one.

I was doing some research on this earlier and I was seeing that some of these places even pay for all the cat's expenses and all I have to do is give it a place to stay. That's amazing, even though I am more than happy to pay it all myself. I'll definitely have to find these people in my area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts