Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's another newbie question: last night when going to bed I noticed that my blanket was wet :? it was very late and I was tired and lazy so i just turned it around and fell asleep. this morning I woke up and my blanket was wet AGAIN! I washed everything to get rid of the smell, because I read the smell of cat pee can be like an invitation for my cats to keep on using my bed as a toilet. But I'm starting to worry now, could this be a symptom for a more serious condition? My cats were still using their litter boxes this morning so it's not like they have forgotten about them :wink There doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with them. Maybe it was just an accident? (I know that happens quite frequently in the kindergarten I'm working in:) )

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Could be a UTI - try to figure out which one is doing the peeing on the bed. You have my sympathy - I'm going through the same thing.

Get some apple vinigar to put with the clothes you wash - it helps with the pee smell.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I read the link but have a question for you, Heidi. I inherited my mother's cat and she's been doing this for years. I just thought it was a behavioral issue. Is it possible for a cat to have a UTI for years?

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I suppose it is possible for a cat to have a long-term UTI, but I would expect at some point over that excessive length of time for an infection to worsen and have a dramatic negative impact on the cat's health.
It could be behavioral, or it could be a case of .... oh, I can't recall the term, (interstititis? ugh, I know that is wrong!) but it is like bumps or something in the cat's bladder and it makes them behave as if they've got a UTI, but they don't. I also can't recall how vets diagnose that condition.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Having had UTI's frequently in my youth, I don't think it can be long term without putting one in a hospital! That's why I never took her to the Vet to investigate it. Thing is, I wonder why if it's a litterbox issue she doesn't also poo elsewhere? She is a very prissy girl. Other cats have always disliked her, from the very moment she entered my mother's house. But I guess it's worth investigating. It's not a regular thing, just every so often. Just when I let my guard down. God how I hate finding the bed wet when I'm tired! Makes me spittin' mad. Not at her, but at myself for forgetting to close the door to the bedroom...but then, the others can't take cat naps on my bed if the door is closed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Our cat Phantom peed in our bed a few years ago for the first time...literally the weekend after getting a new mattress and bedding!!! Thank goodness for the mattress pad that saved our mattress.

We were very concerned and had him to the vet ASAP. Turned out to be a bladder inflamation, which was controlled with Cosequin. We called them his "magic pills" because not only did they fix the issue (and it never happened again) but it actually changed his temperament for the better.

Good luck, you are getting lots of good advice on this thread!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
It's a sign of love. She's mixing scents with you. Don't change the sheets. That's an insult.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
It's possible it's a UTI, but sounds more behavioral to me, and related to the fact that the other cats don't like her and let her know it. Likely her way of asserting her "dominance". By marking your bed, she's saying it's "mine". Yeah, it's hard to remember always to keep the door closed. Perhaps another cat tree or stand near where she usually sleeps may help. If it's the bedroom she wants to be, because of the other cats, you could put a cat stand in there and cover the bed with a plastic sheet.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I disagree. Not so much dominance as bonding by mixing scents.*

* Don't mess with me I skimmed several chapters of Cat vs Cat.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still don't know which of the two it was, but it happened again yesterday. But both cats seem totally fine otherwise and still use their box as well. I sleep in a kind of bunk/loft bed (not sure what you call it) and the cats love to be up there. Can it be that they (or at least one of them) is simply to lazy to go all the way down and to the bathroom? :p

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
If you can isolate the cat you think it is in a bathroom or dog crate for about 3 nights, you should be able to determine which one it is.

·
Banned
952 Posts
I still don't know which of the two it was, but it happened again yesterday. But both cats seem totally fine otherwise and still use their box as well. I sleep in a kind of bunk/loft bed (not sure what you call it) and the cats love to be up there. Can it be that they (or at least one of them) is simply to lazy to go all the way down and to the bathroom? :p
Since this is a new behavior, I think you definitely need to get the cat to the vet and rule out a medical issue.

Cats are naturally clean animals; if one of your kitties lacks the energy to move from her sleeping quarters to an appropriate elimination spot, you have more troubles than just a potential UTI!

Good luck! Hopefully, the problem is easily diagnosed and corrected. :patback

AC

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
believe me, my cats don't lack ANY energy at all. it just happened again. it's 4.30 am and i woke up in cat pee. they don't do it anywhere else in the apartment, only at nights, only in my bed and so far only when i'm in it :p

i can't go back to sleep anymore now. like i mentioned i have a loft bed and i'm now desperately trying to rearrange my furniture so that they can't come up anymore. but they always find new ways...

couldn't there be any other reason for this? they don't really use my bed as a place to sleep, they just use it to play. they have become very wild and "naughty" lately, maybe as a result of me not being strict and consistent enough :( can it be that they are healthy and simply decided to use my bed as another toilet? i'm serious :?

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Did you read the link I provided on page 1?

Here is a link to a topic I made in response to members having problems with inapropriate elimination issues. http://www.catforum.com/forum/37-behavior/131350-uti-inappropriate-urination.html
...couldn't there be any other reason for this?
...can it be that they are healthy and simply decided to use my bed as another toilet? i'm serious :?
Until you are able to rule out a medical problem for this behavior, we *cannot* address any behavioral problems or possible solutions because if the issue is rooted in a medical physiological problem, without proper treatment the cat CANNOT change its' behavior if it is doing so out of a response to pain and is trying to tell you ... in the only way it knows how ... that something is wrong.

Here, I'll copy/paste from my link:

UTI and/or Inapropriate Urination
The NUMBER ONE REASON CATS PEE INAPPROPRIATELY = Urinary Tract Inflamation (UTI)
Diagnosis is with a vet checking a urine sample. There is no other way to diagnose or rule-out this medical problem. Depending on diagnosis (infection, inflamation, crystals) treatment can include antibiotics, anti-inflamatories and/or a diet change to help get more moisture into their elimination systems.

Cats are naturally neat and tidy animals.
They *know* what a litterbox is for.
If a cat is *not* using their litterbox, they are trying to *tell you something* and you need to listen.

AFTER a veterinary visit and UTI has been eliminated as a problem, then you can move on to examining other behavioral or environmental areas of concern:
Has the home been stressful for the cat? ...cats can develop UTIs due to stress...
Does the cat like the litterbox? ...open-tray, hooded, deep enough litter, large enough box...
Does the cat like the location of the litterbox? ...is it in a quiet area, low traffic and no sudden noises...
Does the cat like the litter used? ...some cats prefer different litters...
Does the cat approve of how clean the litterbox is kept for it? ...many cats will refuse to use 'dirty', and especially *smelly* litterboxes...
Are the litterboxes arranged in such a manner as they cannot become a trap? ... some multi cat households can have a problem with another cat either guarding the LBs or waiting to ambush a cat exiting a LB in an effort to play

*if your cat is male, simply replace she/her with he/him*

Cats WANT to use a litterbox to hide their waste. If they are not, it is because there is some sort of problem and avoiding the litterbox is The Only Way for the cat to tell you It Is Having A Problem. If you and your family are annoyed at this behavior, imagine how *frustrating* and *painful* this can be for your cat who is trying to tell you in every way she has available to her: She Is Having A Problem.
UTI's are painful and the kitty tries to find places to pee where maybe it *won't* be painful, like soft piles of clothes, bedding and rugs. When the pain *still* isn't going away by peeing on soft things, they start to pee on 'smooth' things like floors, tables, sinks, tubs, showers, stoves and countertops. IMO, when a cat reaches the point of peeing *on you* or *right in front of you while looking you in the eyes* ... please don't get upset, the kitty is simply trying to tell you she has something wrong with her.

After medical treatment, diet can play a large role in helping to keep UTI's at bay; more moisture, as in wet food or RAW diets. Even a better quality dry food and not feeding "McKittyCrack" (which is what I call grocery-store available dry catfoods) can help the kitty stay healthy. There are plenty of topics in the Health/Nutrition Forums to help you find a good catfood and/or diet for your kitty during and after treatment.

Good luck, we really *want* you to be able to help your kitty. Please let us know how things go...the information you share could help other people in similar situations, too.
heidi =^..^=

·
Registered
23 Posts
oh that happened to me one time - i was sleeping with my kitten (i do that untill they are big enough to sleep outside) and i woke up with a funny smell in my face. turns out my little sweety peed all over my arms and bed! i passed it off as an accident because he was still just a kitten. good thing for him it never happened again, but he still got a good nose-rubbing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts