Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my darlings recently went missing [http://www.catforum.com/forum/37-behavior/145550-where-did-he-go.html]. During the course of our nightly walks, we discovered an orange Tabby had been frequenting the food bowls I have set out (especially the tuna). At first glance, the cat's head just seemed extremely large and I thought nothing of it (they come in all shapes and sizes after all). Three night ago, he left me pet him and I realized he had large lumps on the sides of his cheeks that felt hot to the touch. The next day, I called my vet and was informed he likely had an injury from fighting, etc and now had abscesses... she advised me to bring him in or purchase an over-the-counter antibiotic from the pet store (she said the amoxicillin commonly used for fish mixed into some wet food would work also).

I found his owner, but the owner thinks "he'll be ok." My question is: should I try to snatch him for an hour and get him to my vet - or medicate him anyway? I am really worried for the poor fellow as it seems he can not eat dry food (and that is what his owner had out for him). I have been secretly giving him cans of Taste of the Wild from my own supply, but it's a rather pricey endeavor feeding a neighbour's cat this food.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? :?:

·
Super Moderator
26,812 Posts
If you could afford it, I would bring him to a vet. His owner sucks. And if he can't eat dry food, he probably has dental issues, which are very expensive.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I'm kind of a witch but if it were me I'd get him to the vet and if it's something causing him pain that could have been prevented(or dealt with immediately) I'd sick the animal cops on his owners. Shame on them for not taking care of him. If they didn't want him and didn't want to care for him they should have found a family who did.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is an absolute sweetheart and my son especially is very worried about him. With my cat missing, I just cannot fathom the carelessness of some owners. :(

Thanks for the encouragement, I guess I just need to muster some courage here and snatch him to the vet.

·
Super Moderator
26,812 Posts
I love big orange boys, I've wanted one for some time now (but there's no room at the inn).

Good luck, and how very kind of you, considering what you're going through.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for the replies! Over the last 12 days, I have gathered a mess of cat-questions. This forum is a lifesaver that I intend to keep up with from now on.

Tomorrow is my day to parole for Linus, so I think I will also try to get the orange Tabby to my vet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good news! Not only did we have a call from a woman who is *positive* Linus is on her property (I emailed her a few more photos to be sure)... but the orange Tabby does not have dental issues, just a few infected cuts on his face. The vet assured me he will make a 100% recovery in no time, so long as I keep giving him the antibiotic.

As a testament to the true animal-loving vets out there... she only charged me $17 for the meds and NO charge for the visit! What a great day- hopefully our 4am hunt tonight will get us back with our baby & the neglected kitty will be ok. (I intend to keep feeding him well beyond his healing and "adopting" him slowly into my home).

·
Super Moderator
26,812 Posts
Karma. :grin:

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
(I intend to keep feeding him well beyond his healing and "adopting" him slowly into my home).
First, let me commend you for your compassionate response to this cat's medical neglect. You inarguably did a very selfless and humane thing by taking him to the vet for the care he needed. It's important that you understand, however, that you are leaving yourself open to legal action if, say, the cat were to have a lethal allergic reaction to the antibiotic (unlikely but not impossible) or were to be poisoned or sickened by a tainted batch of commercial food. Also, the "adoption" you are planning is, in legal terms, theft.

I urge you, instead, to approach the cat's owner again and tell him/her that your son has fallen in love with the cat. It sounds like the owner has no particular affection for this cat, so if you offer to take him in, or, if you meet any resistance, offer to pay a reasonable adoption fee, you'll likely end up with the cat legally, free and clear, with no possibility of future repercussions from the owner.

I know your heart is in the right place, but this isn't your cat. If the owner won't be reasonable and allow you to have him, call your local animal control and have the cat picked up as a stray (if you have a leash law that extends to felines) or have the neighbor cited for neglect. If the cat is confiscated by animal control, you'll be able to adopt him from the pound if the owner doesn't want to pay to reclaim him.

Laurie

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apologies, I suppose I should have included this portion as well: the owner today agreed to let me take the cat to my vet (after realizing I would be paying any fees). He informed me the cat just showed up last year and he has been feeding it along with his other cats - but the cat
"isn't really his responsibility." The poor boy does not even have a name. :(

Of course
, I would never, ever condone stealing a cat! Yikes! With my own cat missing especially, I know the cruelty of that situation quite well. My fault for not explaining more, I mentioned above that I intended to talk with him/get permission today. ;) I do not yet know how my kitties would respond so we will not be bringing him inside necessarily - and certainly not right away, but I am already feeding him, I gave him his own "house" on the patio, and we are all lavishing him with love and affection!

His current "owner" lives across from my backyard, to the left, and can even see the patio/house/cat as he relaxes and eats. Granted, I was a little more informative than questioning, but this man was completely agreeable.

P.S. We have been calling him Charlie. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,812 Posts
Charlie!! Fits right in with your gang, and is a cool name for a cat. But I might be a little biased.... :grin:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He seems to like the outside and his independence - although right on cue tonight, he was meowing at the window for his food. :) I did let two of my other concerned neighbours know he has been seen by the vet (it turns out, one in particular was very concerned, but said nothing to this man.. *sigh*)

I will put a picture up soon, but he is so beautiful, I want to wait for his swelling to go down first. I get so attached, so easily, it can't be healthy. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,812 Posts
I will put a picture up soon, but he is so beautiful, I want to wait for his swelling to go down first.
Oh, my! You already sound like an overprotective Mom!! :grin:

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Thank you for the additional information. That changes the whole situation. It sounds like Charlie has been a wandering man for a while and has now chosen you to be his personal assistant. Smart cat! I assume he's an intact tom, in which case, the best thing you can do for him and your neighborhood is to get him neutered ASAP. That will help reduce your local stray population and should make fighting a less urgent priority for Charlie. Also, the sooner he no longer has testosterone influencing his behavior, the sooner he may be convinced to become a peaceful member of your family.

Looking forward to seeing Charlie's photo. I have several of those handsome redheaded felines bobbing around my house.

Laurie

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Charlie wandered to a neighbour's house 2 days ago... he simply walked in through her "cat door" and deposited himself on one of her chairs. She has decided to try and keep him, allowing him the same outdoor access as her other cats, as he did not seem to mind her other three.

We are all ok with the idea since he seems to have chosen her home (I am thinking he must have bonded with some of her cats over these past months?).

P.S. Most, not all, of his swelling is gone now - and she and I have decided to split the fee to neuter him (after his face is healed completely).

·
Registered
32 Posts
he sounds like a sweetie, hope he ok and its great you are feeding him wet food, the cops should be called on his owner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts