Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be taking my cat to be neutered soon and just want to know how it works. Do i need to go in before hand for testings or anything? and do they charge for the testing? how does the neutering process work? also..is it good to give pain medications/antibiotics after ? cuz they said they give a pain injection so it wont be necessary after..is that true? i havent done this before so i don't know anything about it. someone help me out!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Before they put my cat "under" for his neutering they offered to run a blood test to see if he had any conditions that may cause him problems being under anesthesia. Of course it was an extra charge and I don't know how they determine something like that but I had the test done to be safe.

I believe that they just make an incision, remove the "jewels" and use some kind of glue to close up the cut.

Barnaby was at the vet for most of the day and he seemed normal when I brought him home, except for being a little groggy. I seem to recall that he threw up after being home, but so did I after the one time I was put under anesthesia.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I had the blood panel done as well for Frosty for safety reasons + the vet kept him overnight. They also gave us a pager to let us know as soon as the surgery took place how everything went.
You will need to supervise his actions right after the surgery - they aren't allowed to jump nor run around for a couple of days. The vet may also give you pain medicine.
As for as behaviour is concerned Frosty is a lot calmer but he hates it at the vet ever since - he hisses, bites and is so unhappy when we are there - everybody fears our visits at Hemlock Bluffs - Thank Goodness we only have to go once a year :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts