Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone has had a few peeing "incidents" lately. I thought it was Beep, my oldest girl, but then I found out that it is, in fact, Taffy, my 6 year old maine coon male. Of course, I took him in, no UTI, he is all healthy, blood work is all good. We have had Stephano since last December, and they get along well together. They have access to 2 litter boxes, and I keep them very clean, they get scooped daily, or as needed and washed out weekly (the breeze monthly), so I don't think it's that. So I've been investigating this. I think that perhaps Stephano is not giving him enough privacy when he tries to go, so I have tried putting Taffy in the den, that has the litter box that he prefers, while he eats, so that he can go privately in there when he's done, only he is one of those cats that "freaks" if you try to change his routine. His routine is normally he eats in the kitchen and Steph eats in the den, so he won't eat if I put him in there. And he flips if I wait until he eats and then I put him in there, he won't go. So for now I have added another litter box, in the living room, near where the peeing has happened. He peed AND pooped on the dog bed two days ago, I was able to get the smell out with vinegar, water, washing, soaking, etc. He went on a couch cushion the other day, I scrubbed it and did the same and I think it's all good now. I'm losing it though. I can't handle this. Since adding the new litter box, he does seem very interested in it.....they ALL are interested in it, and it has become the new fun place to do ALL their business, GREAT, in the lving room, where I didn't want it, but I'll take that over peeing on cushions. He is not declawed, no UTI, I don't know why this is happening. Sorry, this is pretty much a rant, not a "what do I do", since I kind of know all the things to do, but it is making me insane, since I try so hard to keep litter boxes clean and everyone happy and my house to not smell like cat pee. This is so hard, I just want to cry.....no wait, I've done that. Sigh. I hope I can get a handle on this, or I may end up in a padded room.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Both of my cats have their own boxes and one, Jem, is VERY particular about his (he pees in the back left corner and poops in the back right). Sometimes his brother will use his (I think he does it just to annoy him). When Scout uses Jem's litter box, Jem will get in there and fling all of Scout's poop/pee out of his box onto the floor. Then he'll go and pee right outside Scout's box. I've SEEN him do this several times. So I think in my case, it's just a territorial thing (Jem never pees outside of his own box). I have their litter boxes in seperate rooms now...

Regarding the couch, you might try some of the Nature's Miracle enzyme cleaner. One of mine peed on the couch cushion last year and I thought I got it all out, but evidently, they could still smell it. So they would take turns peeing on it. :| I got a gallon jug of the cleaner and sprayed literally every square inch of the couch (it was completely soaked and took over a day to dry out). That seems to have done the trick - no more peeing on the couch (knock on wood).

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I have also been there and done that. And it DOES suck.

Doran recently decided that the bottom shelf of one of our bookshelves (which had previously held Jitzu's favorite sleeping spot with her heated bed) was definitely the right place for peeing. So now it holds a gigantic litter box. Yay.

At least he's not peeing on the bed/wall/kennel/whatever-I-put-there-to-deter-him. :/ Brat.

Aside from suggesting cat attract litter, play times for Mr. naughty-pants who won't leave his brother to pee in peace, and maybe another extra box in an out of the way place...I just don't know.

Torri will occasionally pee on our couch. Originally it was because she didn't want to use the same litter box as the other cats, so she has her own box and we're careful about letting her into the room when she cries. That worked for quite a bit.

Now she'll use the boxes on the main level sometimes, but Muffin has taken to ambushing her when she's finished...she hasn't resumed peeing on the couch, but I have also been more careful about making she she gets back to her box regularly too and giving Muffin extra play times and training sessions for all. IMO if they're bored enough to be bratty they clearly need to learn more tricks! lol

·
Banned
693 Posts
Sorry to hear your issues.
I always worry in the back of my mind that someone will start doing this...and of course, as cats age, some stuff just happens.

If you have 3 cats, I would suggest 4 litter boxes. I know it sounds extreme, but it may help the issue. I will say we only have 3 boxes for 3 cats, but they are indoor/outdoor and would much rather go outside.

My big male was fixed as soon as it was able to be done, so I swear he would never be a marker...but fast forward....I have WATCHED him spray the side of the garage.
Thankfully, he and the little guy, BB, only do it outside. BB used to do it ALL the time in Wisconsin till we had him fixed. And since only 2 of our 3 are litter-mates, I was fearful there would be something to deal with.
So, territory is a huge thing and maybe he is peeing on the cushion because one of the other cats spent time there and he doesn't like it.
Good luck and sorry about your sanity being tested.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
wallycat, I seriously doubt you're going to have issues as long as your boys can get outside. Being allowed outside makes a massive difference in litter box behavioural issues.

That being said, I am not for one minute suggesting howsefrau, you should let you cats outside. Many people can't for many reasons, I understand and there have been times in my life I have had to have inside only kitties and male cats can be a real bugger when it comes to litter box issues.
I don't have anything to suggest, but I am sorry your sanity is being stretched to it's limit. I do feel for you! .. and truly wish I had a magic answer :(

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been cleaning all day long, added a 4th litter box, got a big rubbermaid type container, filled it with Arm and Hammer litter, which smells really good and seems to be clumping nicely. I also felt that maybe Taffy was not a big fan of the Breeze litter box, which is in the room he sleeps in at night, since I don't see him use it as often, so I put the covered box with WBCL in the room he sleeps in. He sleeps in there with Stephano at night, this is when Beep is free to roam, since the boys cannot be out with Beep (she is a relentless killer). I did catch Stephano once standing outside the new box that I added, with Taffy in it, and I tried to get him to leave Taffy alone, and then Taffy ran off....he is very skittish. Sigh. I almost think I will have to separate the two boys at night, which would mean Stephano in either the bathroom or our den, which is a pain, because my dog likes to sleep in there at night....UGH!!!! I will hopefully get to the bottom of this. I wish they could have outside time. I am ready to call someone and see if they can build me some sort of outside cat enclosure for everyone to get out and get some playtime and fresh air, a dream of mine anyway, just can't really afford it, but if it will help solve this issue, I may do whatever I can to make it happen. I need a degree in cat psychology to figure out the minds of these creatures!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
You an me both, howsefrau! They can make you crazy in no time flat!

You say the offender, Taffy, is skittish. And Stephano had to be shooed away from the box Taffy was in and the result wasTaffy fleeing...
Ok, we MIGHT be on to something here.... M I G H T.

I know my B.B. is tough as nails and when she eats she can put up with all sorts of noises, movements, etc. (food bowl is in the kitchen) BUT whenever Belle finishes her meal her first port of call is B.B. (Sadie solved this problem by gulping her food down and finishing before Belle) ... anyway she, Belle, will sit about a foot away, in front, and just watch B.B. while she eats. This apparently ticks Beebz off!
Now, the system at feeding time has been altered by B.B. While Beebz still loves getting her bowl first, she will "burry" it and go outside till the girlies are done.

Yes, she didn't think it all the way through and a few times her food was eaten but between her reprimands to Belle and my reminders if Belle approaches B.B.'s bowl, the food gets left alone and Beebz gets to eat in relative peace because Belle will have to go outside to "see a man about a horse" lol

Perhaps Taffy gets "bothered by Stephano when he has to "do his thing" and will abandon the box. The smell of Stephano is in the box (yes I know you clean it but they smell stuff we don't) ..so when Taffy is in the box being busy he can't really notice when Stephano is sneaking up on him.
The covered box adds privacy and that probably helps but may not work 100%. Is there any way you could try either Moving Stephano or Taffy and see if there is a change in Taffy's errant litter box behaviour?

Trust me this is ALL just BIG guess work here, I don't know anything about cat psychology! Nothing!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Catface, I had not thought of that, that the fact that Stephano goes in the same box that Taffy does might make Taffy not want to go in there. We do currently have 4 boxes. I think for the time being I will put another one in the room where they sleep at night. I think Stephano will still go wherever Taffy goes. I will be gone for most of the day today, so I think I will separate the two of them and see if a little time apart will do them well. I used to do that in the beginning when we first took Stephano in, just to give Taffy a break. So far I have not seen any more pee on the floor or any cushions, but it could just be that I have not found it yet, but I'm hoping that they are going in one of the many boxes that are available to them. I wash the whole thing out and put it new litter every week, and scoop it multiple times daily. I currently feel like my house has a row of port o lets in it :( Not happy.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
They have an enzyme cleaner for litter boxes. Have you tried that? I used that when I figured out the territorial issue with my cats and their litter boxes. I cleaned them with bleach first, then the enzyme cleaner. It's a spray that you leave for 15 minutes, then wipe. It really helps with odor and I think the cats can't smell the previous cats' urine (at least mine didn't pee outside it anymore).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.