Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, slightly long story ahead:

About 4 weeks ago, my cat was showing signs of a urinary tract infection. So we take him to the vet and they prescribed amoxicilin and a urine acidifier. He threw up about 4 or 5 of the pills, but the symptoms went away after the round of anti biotics was up. Ok, so things are fine for a few days then he starts with the vomiting again, sometimes the food he just ate and sometimes a clear substance. At the same time, I notice that he is scratching excessively around his neck. Moving the fur aside slightly, I notice he scratched himself a bald spot. Back to the vet I go for bloodwork and an analysis of his neck. They send me home with some ointment and say that they will call in two weeks with the results (they also did some kinda sampling of the skin on his neck). Everything is fine for almost a week, then this morning I find him squatting like hes gonna pee in the corner. Reacting without thinking, I say no and start to nudge him a bit so he wouldnt pee. He doesnt budge, just stares straight ahead. Thats not like him, it usually only takes a "no" and he stops and goes on his way. This has happened three times today now and after he realizes he cant pee, he just starts licking his crotch. After that he sits in an odd position and doesnt move, so I know hes in pain. The vet I've been seeing closes in 10 minutes, and I litteraly have no money left from the last few visits. I'll try to take him in tommoroww if my girlfriend can afford it, but if anyone reading this has been through this before, and has any advice or anything, I would be very grateful for a reply.

Thx :|

Edit: Some backround information:
He is a 7 year old, un-neutered (indoor only, dont worry), long haired male. He has never had a health problem in his life up till a month ago. He has dry food availible at all times and gets about a 1/4-1/5 of a can of tuna a night.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I don't have any male cats, but I'm almost positive that I have read on several occasions, that having your cat neutered is also a great health benefit and helps avoid problems like this.

I'm surprised your vet has not recommended it. Maybe something to inquire about.

I hope someone else can give you advice soon and that your kitty has a speedy recovery. This is a great place to get information and i'm sure you'll get suggestions here!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Sounds like it could be a host of problems :(

I remember once reading something where Dr. Jean said if your cat can't pee, take him to the vet immidiately, b/c a blocked bladder/urine will kill a cat in a matter of hours :(

Also, since he's unneutered, it may have something to do with that too. they get stud tail and feline acne, that appears on their chin as dark spots, he could be sctraching that.

I had a frightening experience just two days ago where Marsh swallowed a sharp piece of a feather about an inch long, and then threw it up on about a third attempt, my mom found it in vomit, it was sharp and sticking out, when she pulled on it, she was mortified. Thank GOD, Marsh is A OK.. and we're 1,000% more careful with leaving things on the floor for him to 'eat'.
----- SO, if your cat is scratching his neck, could something be lodged in his throat?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Oooh, I just saw the bottom of your post about the Tuna. This could also cause problems. Do not give him Tuna it's very bad for cats. Also, a wet food diet may help him moving foward. Dr. Jean has pointed out several times that a dry food only diet can cause a host of problems and I think the problem with your cat not being able to pee is one of them. Tuna only adds fuel to the fire as far as I can remember, it also could be the cause of your cats skin problem. I believe Tuna can cause allergic like reactions in cats and skin disorders of some sort.

I'll search for some info. on that for you.

·
Registered
983 Posts
AddFran said:
Oooh, I just saw the bottom of your post about the Tuna. This could also cause problems. Do not give him Tuna it's very bad for cats. Also, a wet food diet may help him moving foward. Dr. Jean has pointed out several times that a dry food only diet can cause a host of problems and I think the problem with your cat not being able to pee is one of them. Tuna only adds fuel to the fire as far as I can remember.

I'll search for some info. on that for you.
I agree! NO tuna, just cat food and no fish-cat-food, just meats.. good point AddFran :!:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the replies. I wondered about the tuna myself awhile back, so I asked the vet and she said she didnt think it would be a problem as long as it wasnt in oil. However, after reading that link about the food allergies I think I probably will ween him off of it. I spoke to a vet on the phone and she said that I can come in tommoroww, and she suggested that he may need to be on a prescription diet. This is all just so overwhelming, like I said in my first post I have zero dollars after those last few trips and I have never had to deal with these problems before. I really hope he'll be okay.

Thx

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I don't mean to overwhelm you more, but before your cat gets put on one of the Science Diet prescription diets, just *ask* atleast about other higher quality foods such as California Natural, Innova, Wellness, Natural Balance, etc. - you can find a more comprehensive list premium quality foods on the nutrition area of the forum.

Sometimes if you find a food that doesn't have any fish ingredients or a lot of corn products, you can easily eliminate the symptoms of the skin allergies. You may have to do some testing to find out what your cat is having a reaction to. However, Tuna is very bad for cats and if I were you, I'd get him off of it, quickly. Also, whatever diet your vet recommends, you should really try to stick to a wet food diet especially since your cat is experiencing urinary tract disorders.

Many of the vets are not as educated as we'd hope them to be in this area, and many of the vets offices have deals with Hills (Science Diet) and they recommend these products left and right. While they may do the trick in alleviating the symptoms, overall they are not that good of a food if you look at the ingredients.

I sure hope Dr. Jean stumbles upon this thread, she can shed some light on this I bet.

In any case, please let us know how he's doing and what the new vet has to say tomorrow. I feel your pain about the vet bills too. We recently had a dog fighting cancer and were at the vet ALL the time. It costs us about $4,000 in the end. But, somehow you end up working it out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I know how you feel. Last year I noticed my cat had a lot of blood in her urine. It looked just like a clear red liquid. She ended up having a bladder stone and she had to have surgery and her food switched to a food specifically for cats with urinary problems/bladder problems. She seems to like it very much. But the surgery was not cheap, but I didn't have any choice. I hope that all your cat needs is medicine, but sounds like he does need to go to the vet. I wish you the best of luck and I hope he gets better. Please keep us posted on his condition.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sounds like a blockage

Sounds like your cat may be experiencing a blockage or severe infection, since he seems to be straining to urinate.

I've been asking this question myself and no one seems to be able to answer it. Is Innova, Wellness, or any of the super premium foods good for FUS sufferers? I know Sciene Diet is not popular, but their prescription diets do what they claim when it comes to controlling certain diseases. I hope your vet can shed some light on this subject. I suspect though that no studies have actually been done on these other foods to see if they are good for FUS, etc. If Purnia, and other cheaper companies can make a food that is suppose to be good for urilogical syndrome than surely Innova and the others can come out and say if their food is good and helping to control FUS. What do yall think?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Forgot something

Please, please, get your cat neutered ASAP for his sake as well as yours. Good luck, I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I've been asking this question myself and no one seems to be able to answer it. Is Innova, Wellness, or any of the super premium foods good for FUS sufferers? I know Science Diet is not popular, but their prescription diets do what they claim when it comes to controlling certain diseases.

I think you’ll need to check the Guaranteed Analysis on the back of each product and even each individual flavor to find a food suitable for a cat suffering from FUS, but I’m confident you can find something based on the fact that the prescription diets contain levels of magnesium, etc. that are comparable with those on the labels of lets say Hills Feline c/d. Since that is what companies like Science Diet and hills want you to believe is the remedy for cats with FUS, I’d say they would be fine for cats suffering from this problem. I also believe that Wysong has a diet for FUS sufferers, but I have not looked into it yet.

I think the one of the issues that should really be addressed is that a dry food diet is what is really bad for cats suffering from FUS. It’s been known to aggrevate the problem. A cat eating 1 cup (85 g) of dry food would need to drink 8 oz. (225 ml) of water to prevent dehydration. However, most don't. The result is dehydration and a reduction in urine volume. And when they are being fed the low quality dry foods from Hills prescription diet, they have to eat more than they would a higher quality food. Which in turn means they need to drink even more…and chances are they won’t. See how this becomes a vicious cycle?

Pet food manufacturers take advantage of the cat owner by marketing expensive specialty diets that are supposed to address the disease cause. The brands of cat foods that claim to prevent the occurrence of struvite crystals, ironically happen to be dry foods most of the time. These commercial diets are not truly therapeutic. Pet food manufacturers often use a chemical called Ammonium chloride to artificially lower urine pH, while ignoring all dietary factors that could resolve the matter naturally.

Additionally, Cats need a high protein diet to maintain a low (acidic) urinary pH. A lot of commercial dry cat foods are based on vegetable ingredients that make up 50% or more of the products weight, and vegetable ingredients result in the production of a high (alkaline) urinary pH. In order to maintain a low acidic urinary pH, cats would need to consume a diet higher in proteins from MEAT sources. Kind of ironic that the Hills Feline c/d diet has little if any quality meat sources and is filled with corn products and other fillers and by-products.

Feline c/d Dry
Ingredients
Brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, pork fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), chicken liver flavor, taurine, preserved with BHT and BHA, minerals (potassium chloride, calcium sulfate, salt, calcium carbonate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), beta-carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin E supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement).

Additionally, you end up spending big money on products that perpetuate the cycle while masking the problem. If you notice above the prescrition diet includes BHT and BHA. Nothing like relying on your vet to give you a food to help your pet recover from one illness only to potentially turn around and cause your pet to end up with cancer.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks for the info

Addfran, thanks for all the info. I'm with you on the Science Diet. It's suppose to help one thing, but at the same time it's harmful. You should read the labels of food that are out there for humans who have diabetes. That's a real joke!!

I just wish the premium pet foods would come out with statements like "will prevent FUS," etc. so people would know they have alternatives to Science Diet.

I know Purina also sells a prescription diet and IVD has one. Do you know if they are any better than Science Diet? If I remember correctly, I read the bag of an IVD food once and it didn't impress me. Had a lot of fillers if I remember correctly. I had someone give me some as a donation for my ferals and they didn't care for it.

I understand that thing about dry food not being the healthiest, but I have 2 cats who refuse to eat anything but dry. They will literally starve themselves if they only have can food to eat. What I do to encourage my cats and dogs to drink more water, is provide them with a pet water fountain. They just love the clean, cool steady stream of water and they definitely are drinking more. Some of course are playing more. HA!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
You have gotten alot of great information already......but I really think the very first thing to do is to get him neutered :)

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
lotocats, I just wanted to add that there is a vet in my area that recommends Wellness for FUS. I think the most important prevention, however, is feeding wet food only.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Re: Thanks for the info

lotocats said:
Addfran, thanks for all the info. I'm with you on the Science Diet. It's suppose to help one thing, but at the same time it's harmful. You should read the labels of food that are out there for humans who have diabetes. That's a real joke!!

I just wish the premium pet foods would come out with statements like "will prevent FUS," etc. so people would know they have alternatives to Science Diet.

I know Purina also sells a prescription diet and IVD has one. Do you know if they are any better than Science Diet? If I remember correctly, I read the bag of an IVD food once and it didn't impress me. Had a lot of fillers if I remember correctly. I had someone give me some as a donation for my ferals and they didn't care for it.

I understand that thing about dry food not being the healthiest, but I have 2 cats who refuse to eat anything but dry. They will literally starve themselves if they only have can food to eat. What I do to encourage my cats and dogs to drink more water, is provide them with a pet water fountain. They just love the clean, cool steady stream of water and they definitely are drinking more. Some of course are playing more. HA!
I'll look into the other foods and see what I can gather from them, if you've sifted through the ingredients already and didn't feel good about them though, you're probably right.

The pet fountain is a GREAT thing to have. I noticed that my cats drink WAY more water than they used to. I actually see them drinking from it all the time and it's not just one or two licks either, they have a REAL drink!
I would recommend it to anyone, but especially to cats that have problems such as FUS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took Prabu to the vet today, and it turns out he doesn't have a blockage, but rather crystals in his inflammed bladder. They took a sample of his urine and are going to test for everything. Thanks for all the advice.
-Danielle (Bryan's friend)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Please update us on your kitty after you get him to the vet.

I lost a kitten (8 months old) to kidney stones. It came on quickly, and though the vet performed an emergency surgery, it wasn't enough. I had to have him put down a few days later. A most horrible experience...

I hope that everything goes well for your kitty and that the vet is able to clear up any infections and/or problems.

*hugs*

·
Registered
428 Posts
Good you caught it in time

It's good you caught the problem in time because afte crystals comes blockage. I know he'll be fine with your TLC.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts